Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't that conflict with setting the target speed for Autopilot or cruise control?

I think he misspoke about that. You can now slide your finger over the temperature control on the screen to the left or right to raise or lower the temperature. The steering wheel buttons and scroll wheels remain unchanged from previous versions as far as I am aware.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
We got the 9 update last night and installed it this morning. Now the car doesn't work. :( Have the new screen but that is it. won't go into drive or reverse.

Contacted Tesla, they tried to force an overwrite, no luck. There dispatching a ranger to try and load it, or there having to tow it to Tysons. Vin # 97xxx

We got the 9 update last night and installed it this morning. Now the car doesn't work. :( Have the new screen but that is it. won't go into drive or reverse.

Contacted Tesla, they tried to force an overwrite, no luck. There dispatching a ranger to try and load it, or there having to tow it to Tysons. Vin # 97xxx

That sucks. Wonder what happened. Good thing they are rolling it out is batches. Can you imagine rolling it out on all cars and 10 percent are down; poor rangers and SC and customer service calls...

Got the notification last night and tried to update but it failed and the car will not power up now. Had to tow to the service this morning.

Yikes... I wonder what the fault tolerant is for update that fails. I'm sure they will have a statistical done on it, since it cost money to tow cars into SC or have rangers come out to manually update cars. Pretty sure they will learn a lot from this major release.

I think he misspoke about that. You can now slide your finger over the temperature control on the screen to the left or right to raise or lower the temperature. The steering wheel buttons and scroll wheels remain unchanged from previous versions as far as I am aware.

Thanks for bringing this up. Well, no I didn't mis-speak about that, yet I should have been more clear.

If you press the menu button (on the right steering wheel column below the scroll wheel), and select "Temperature" as the default function for the scroll wheel, then you can control the cabin temperature with the scroll wheel. The display can still default to trip status or other things if you want and then temporarily displays temperature as you scroll the wheel. This function isn't documented so it is hard to discover for some folks.

To me, I rather use that scroll wheel for changing the temperature, yet I understand it is also useful for other functions.

Thanks for bringing this up. Well, no I didn't mis-speak about that, yet I should have been more clear.

If you press the menu button (on the right steering wheel column below the scroll wheel), and select "Temperature" as the default function for the scroll wheel, then you can control the cabin temperature with the scroll wheel. The display can still default to trip status or other things if you want and then temporarily displays temperature as you scroll the wheel. This function isn't documented so it is hard to discover for some folks.

To me, I rather use that scroll wheel for changing the temperature, yet I understand it is also useful for other functions.
I think I know what the confusion is here, I think you're speaking about Model S/X and @PoitNarf is talking about Model 3. Model 3 does not have temperature adjusting functionality on the right scroll wheel. Nor does it have a menu button on the steering wheel.

Model 3's right scroll wheel does Autopilot speed control and follow distance. In v9 it stays the same and so the swiping on the screen for temperature adjustment is a welcome change for us :)

Reactions: PoitNarf
Just to be clear, I think you mean that TeslaFi pulls firmware info from the car and not Tesla (the company).

TeslaFi pulls the info from the Tesla API, naturally, it needs to poll the car to provide to the info to TeslaFi. As far as I know, there is no direct connection from TeslaFi to the car and it is done through Tesla.

(The extent of my IT abilities is understanding Excel so someone with knowledge of what APIs are may be able to provide better insight).

Last edited:
I think I know what the confusion is here, I think you're speaking about Model S/X and @PoitNarf is talking about Model 3. Model 3 does not have temperature adjusting functionality on the right scroll wheel. Nor does it have a menu button on the steering wheel.

Model 3's right scroll wheel does Autopilot speed control and follow distance. In v9 it stays the same and so the swiping on the screen for temperature adjustment is a welcome change for us :)

Ah yes, that makes more sense. This is the Model 3 forum, let's not confuse everyone here more so than we already are!

Reactions: Runt8
If you press the menu button (on the right steering wheel column below the scroll wheel), and select "Temperature" as the default function for the scroll wheel, then you can control the cabin temperature with the scroll wheel.
Dude, this is the Model 3 forum. You can't come in here and gloat about the superior steering wheel of the Model S. :mad: ;)

The touch and slide worked on the old version as well except it was up and down and down only had about ¼" before running out of screen so was useless. Left & right slide is a welcome change.

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf and DDotJ

You try tuning bluetooth on your phone off and on (has worked for me in the past) or simply using the key card (to eliminate phone issues)?

Reactions: drshan
I wonder if there are any issues so far. If anyone has updated to the new software, let me know if you’ve found any new issues.
Yes, version 9 makes the Map display to always be the default display and only allows one other app to be displayed. I don't use the map app very often and now can't use 2 other displays of my choosing as I could before. Why would that change be made??

Yes, version 9 makes the Map display to always be the default display and only allows one other app to be displayed. I don't use the map app very often and now can't use 2 other displays of my choosing as I could before. Why would that change be made??

to quote @Eno Deb, "Dude, this is the Model 3 forum. You can't come in here and gloat about the [previously] superior [screen] of the Model S. :mad: ;)"

Reactions: PoitNarf