Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine had the update then shows contact Tesla, software update needed so I did a 4 finger reboot and all is good and it finialsed install. Not tried yet but just for others in case they get same message - try a reset if you want

I just want to warn you and others to not do this and wait another 30mins first.

If you stay in the car and watch these updates, you'll see the contact Tesla message nearly every time. This is normal, albeit not very user friendly. It means different components in the car are not on the same version, yet. The update isn't finished installing. I would never reboot with the scroll wheels at this point, I'd be afraid you'd corrupt the update for real .

Of course if you got this message after waiting long enough then by all means try a reset.

I just want to warn you and others to not do this and wait another 30mins first.

If you stay in the car and watch these updates, you'll see the contact Tesla message nearly every time. This is normal, albeit not very user friendly. It means different components in the car are not on the same version, yet. The update isn't finished installing. I would never reboot with the scroll wheels at this point, I'd be afraid you'd corrupt the update for real .

Of course if you got this message after waiting long enough then by all means try a reset.
Yes, mine was about 2+ hours after the update started. But good point, wait some time before resetting.

No he wasn't. He said introduction in North America while Tesla site mentioned only USA. Canada is in North America and is left out for the time being.

Yes he was. There is one from BC and Alberta :D
Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 7.47.28 AM.png

I hate this car... 3rd update this month :D

2018.42.2 can't wait to try out Nav on Autopilot! I previously had 2018.40. Some weird stuff with the audio settings.. 40 started with the Dolby control. Later it switched to the immersive sound control (which I like). Updated to 42.2 and Dolby is back. Anyone else experience this behavior ?

• Funny
Reactions: Blup85
OK now that I can talk about it as it is in general release; Nav on Autopilot is honestly just an annoyance in the way it's currently implemented. Acknowledging the lane changes is distracting and you are constantly looking to see if the car wants to change lanes and taking your eyes off the road. This should either be completely automated of off, it is terrible with acknowledgement. Interestingly the auto-exit works pretty well and no acknowledgement needed as well as entry in to HOV lanes if you have that set.

In the end the feature is not good IMHO, at least how it is set up currently.

OK now that I can talk about it as it is in general release; Nav on Autopilot is honestly just an annoyance in the way it's currently implemented. Acknowledging the lane changes is distracting and you are constantly looking to see if the car wants to change lanes and taking your eyes off the road. This should either be completely automated of off, it is terrible with acknowledgement. Interestingly the auto-exit works pretty well and no acknowledgement needed as well as entry in to HOV lanes if you have that set.

Is this a feature you have to actually ENABLE with maybe a warning? If so, I guess each driver can decide to either turn it on or leave it OFF which seems what you prefer with the current implementation. I like options. But I thought there was an early build that allowed you to set auto or you have to confirm. I assume that is not there.

Is acknowledgement a pull on the AP stalk or the turn signal one? I noticed some confusion over this.

Is this a feature you have to actually ENABLE with maybe a warning? If so, I guess each driver can decide to either turn it on or leave it OFF which seems what you prefer with the current implementation. I like options. But I thought there was an early build that allowed you to set auto or you have to confirm. I assume that is not there.

Yes can be turned off, but my point is that the feature in it's current implementation is not good, not that I cannot turn it off. I know a lot of people have been excited over this feature so am just letting them know it is not good.

Is acknowledgement a pull on the AP stalk or the turn signal one? I noticed some confusion over this.

It was either on the S and X, and turn signal only on 3. With pull on AP stalk it is a little easier, but you will see what I mean about looking at the screen a lot to see if the car wants to change lanes.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman and MTOman

You can't expect a little kid to ride a bike he got for Christmas without training wheels for at least a little while. They stated after ~10 million fleet miles it would be optional to have a lane change confirmation.

Yes can be turned off, but my point is that the feature in it's current implementation is not good, not that I cannot turn it off. I know a lot of people have been excited over this feature so am just letting them know it is not good.

It was either on the S and X, and turn signal only on 3. With pull on AP stalk it is a little easier, but you will see what I mean about looking at the screen a lot to see if the car wants to change lanes.

Still excitedly waiting. Whether it’s “good” from a practical/functional point of view is totally independent from my giddiness that my car will be essentially driving itself with just a new form of nag.

The newer NEO-M8L is capable of receiving Galileo signal, which should have a resolution of about 20cm

I don't follow you here. What parameter is being resolved to 20cm, using what type of measurements, and in what navigation solution mode? If you're talking about position accuracy, I don't see how that is possible given that the NEO-M8L only supports L1/E1 signals and produces either autonomous or SBAS-enhanced solutions. Numbers on the centi/decimetre level are usually referring to dual-frequency differential solutions that require local reference stations.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Confirming the update to 42.2
Confirming anything else would be a violation of the EAP program.
42.2 isn’t Early Access. 81 copies on TeslaFi as of now.

If you mean you have 42.2 and it says beta in the menu, that’s really weird.

I thought Early Access versions were always different numbers that prod releases. Can anyone confirm the current numbering? (I’ve never had such a release but I though they were ‘odd point point’ numbers back when....)

• Love
Reactions: 1375mlm