Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone received UWB (Ultra Wideband) phone key functionality on Refreshed MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked for updates and now I'm finally downloading 2024.8.7.
I can now confirm the UWB update solves one of my biggest annoyances: previously the door handles would rarely extend automatically when I walked into my dark garage from the house in the morning. That left me fumbling in the dark to press one while usually carrying a toddler or two and a couple bags. This morning, the handles popped out and lit up the area around the car as I approached the car.

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
have been using it for the 2nd day now, about 8 trips (8 deep sleep wake up unlocks). It works and its AWESOME.

Couple of things worth mentioning:
1. The car finally unlocks just fine even when the phone is in my back pocket.
2. The car unlocks just as I am almost there next to any of the doors, not too late and not too early.
3. I have a 3-car garage, and each time my wife drives her other car pulling into the garage, my parked Tesla used to always unlock from distance thinking that she is approaching the car. This never happens now.
4. In my case, I had the complete opposite issue. There was always a delay to unlock as i approach the car, sometimes I had to tap the door handle, and it would only work if the phone is in my front pocket or if I pull the phone out. This never happens now.

I'd say good job Tesla --> One reason I love my Tesla is that they continue to improve the car and ownership experience. With my other BMWs and Mbenz, I know that I always have to live with the same bugs for the lifetime of the car and never ever an OTA would make a functional/measurable improvement or offering a new option.

have been using it for the 2nd day now, about 8 trips (8 deep sleep wake up unlocks). It works and its AWESOME.

Couple of things worth mentioning:
1. The car finally unlocks just fine even when the phone is in my back pocket.
2. The car unlocks just as I am almost there next to any of the doors, not too late and not too early.
3. I have a 3-car garage, and each time my wife drives her other car pulling into the garage, my parked Tesla used to always unlock from distance thinking that she is approaching the car. This never happens now.
4. In my case, I had the complete opposite issue. There was always a delay to unlock as i approach the car, sometimes I had to tap the door handle, and it would only work if the phone is in my front pocket or if I pull the phone out. This never happens now.

I'd say good job Tesla --> One reason I love my Tesla is that they continue to improve the car and ownership experience. With my other BMWs and Mbenz, I know that I always have to live with the same bugs for the lifetime of the car and never ever an OTA would make a functional/measurable improvement or offering a new option.
That’s nice, however Tesla is fixing a problem they created. Never once in years of owning vehicles have I had to wonder if I could open my door.

Reactions: terranx
Was that with a phone or a fob? Tesla fobs were always bulletproof. Not many cars support phone keys yet.
Within the first 1000 miles i had 2 separate times where I could not open my driver door. The handle presented but when you pulled on it the door wouldn’t open. Tesla didn’t have an explanation but it resolved on its own and hasnt happened since.

Now, that’s obviously not related to the handles not presenting, but I am very sure we all have had multiple times where the handles don’t present at all or are very delayed. It’s quite unpleasant if you’re on a date for example and trying to open the door for your lady/SO.

Obviously they want car to be as aerodynamic as possible, but as a customer expecting a premium product it’s my expectation I should never even have to think about a door handle.