Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone received UWB (Ultra Wideband) phone key functionality on Refreshed MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what it says in the Not a Tesla App release notes for 2024.2.3:

Since ultra-wideband requires specific hardware, it can’t be added in a software update unless the hardware is already in the vehicle. Only some of the latest Tesla vehicles appear to support the new wireless protocol.

We have confirmed that the new Model 3 is supported, as well as the 2023 Model X. All refreshed Model S and Model X vehicles include the new UWB frequencies in the certificate of conformity and are likely to receive this feature, but it doesn’t appear to be going out to all new S/X models yet. The Cybertruck is expected to be supported as well.

The first-gen Model 3 and current Model Y unfortunately do not have UWB support.”

My 2023 S is on 2024.2.7 and I can confirm I don’t have UWB yet. I have the latest version of the Tesla app on my iPhone 14 Pro.

• Informative
Reactions: zivac87 and morbidz
I hate to ask the stupid question but how can you tell if you have UWB enabled?

I have new Feb 2024 build MSP and an iPhone 15 Pro Max - all on the latest versions of their respective software. The car always unlocks reliably when I approach it. Is that the only way to tell?

OTOH, our 2022 MYP has always locked and unlocked reliably and I know it does not have the UWB hardware. And so did our ancient 2015 Model S’s for that matter.

It was added to model x. You can check latest 2024.x.x release notes in your car if it is added. It would have asked you in your phone app to upgrade your phone key.

MS has same antennas as MX but for some reason that feature is not supported yet

I was never asked to upgrade. And the “Ultra-wideband Phone Key” topic is not included the 2024.2.3 section of the release notes as others have shown.

Also - the “Nearby Interactions” mentioned in those release notes is not available in the Tesla app iPhone settings.

I tried deleting and re-installing the IPhone app but no change. I am going to delete and re-add the phone key to see if that does anything.

Good point. Who knows, they could be having issues getting it to work consistently on the MS for some reason. It would sure be nice to find out something official from Tesla so we stop messing around with it until it is released.
The official release notes from Tesla only tell you what your car is getting, not what you’re not getting, so that’s why many people rely on the Not a Tesla App release notes, like those I posted earlier.

I hate to ask the stupid question but how can you tell if you have UWB enabled?

I have new Feb 2024 build MSP and an iPhone 15 Pro Max - all on the latest versions of their respective software. The car always unlocks reliably when I approach it. Is that the only way to tell?

OTOH, our 2022 MYP has always locked and unlocked reliably and I know it does not have the UWB hardware. And so did our ancient 2015 Model S’s for that matter.
From the research I've been doing on this, enabling UWB on the iPhone is thru Settings | Privacy & Security | Location Services | System Services | Networking & Wireless. If that's green, UWB is on. It's a little weird to me, but that's what I read from a few sites.

To see if you've used UWB for your Tesla, another site said to navigate to Settings | Privacy & Security | Nearby Interactions. They indicate you're supposed to see something related to Tesla there, but I don't know what you're supposed to see. I also do not know for certain if you're supposed to be standing near your Tesla for this to work or not.

Unfortunately I have a 2023MY and it does not have UWB in it so none of this applies to me. Hopefully it helps you.

Also got it with .8.7, have yet to activate in the phones.

Here in EU we also got the adaptive high beam on the cars with Matrix headlights (with 8.4 or 8.7) which seem to work very good. (High beam on when meeting other cars but it only blanks the pixels that hits the meeting car. It also reacts much faster after having met the car, ~1s instead of 5-10s. This is very good!

Reactions: zivac87