Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, 50.6 on my S100D today with a capability to turn on seat warming remotely, does me no good in Florida. I have not driven since the update.
That was in 48.x.... 50 is mostly other cold items for the 3 (like the charging door latch) and nothing for the S and X that we are aware of. Could be tons of internal things but no customer facing that I’ve read about. 50.6 has nothing external added to the nothing that was in 50. :D

Pretty sizable update with no notable new features?

Attachments

• 6805DFA6-4E82-4390-8E5D-EEAA7E852FF7.jpeg
    6805DFA6-4E82-4390-8E5D-EEAA7E852FF7.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
Re Spotify, the last update many of us got here in Australia (2018.48.12.1) rendered Spotify useless because we could not log in.
So three questions if you don't mind?
1 - Was your car also on 2018.48.12.1 prior to this update?
2 - Did you have Spotify issues prior this new update?
3 - If yes to Q2 are they fixed?
Thanks.

Eh? I'm in Australia, was on 2018.48.12.1 and am using spotify just fine. Except if I let my wife touch it, in which case she has found a bug that causes the MCU to reboot, but fine otherwise.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec and TS_Rob
Re Spotify, the last update many of us got here in Australia (2018.48.12.1) rendered Spotify useless because we could not log in.
So three questions if you don't mind?
1 - Was your car also on 2018.48.12.1 prior to this update?
2 - Did you have Spotify issues prior this new update?
3 - If yes to Q2 are they fixed?
Thanks.
For me, on 2018.48.12.1 the MCU1 is completely frozen unresponsive every morning and spotify refuses to log in even after a reboot. In order to log in, you need to:
1) set the MCU playing some other source, for me TuneIn works.
2) let it play for a minute so this becomes saved source for reboot
3) reboot MCU
4) wait until the LTE resumes
5) switch to Spotify
6) in case it still won't load the song list, switch once more to TuneIn and come back to song list (no reboot if you got the spotify menu)
7) profit

So annoying! The spotify login problem was there also with one of the early 2018 releases. Total freeze of MCU is a new one. And of course it has been the longest gap between 2 releases.

I believe it is somehow related to roaming between wifi and LTE, as haven't had log in problems when wifi has not been used.

Last edited:
my spotify now requires an MFU reboot to work 2018.50.6
Oh FFS!! :mad::mad:, someone needs to find a new career at Telsa because programming isn't their thing.
But in reality this is why they MUST start some form of external beta testing system because now all of us hoping this update was going to fix Spotify are going to be bitterly disappointed for another month or two until they get it right (and whatever other issues might start to surface). Releasing updates to end users and waiting for feedback is not how it is supposed to work.

usually early access get it before the others, but they are not allowed to report it or talk about it
Well based on what brendon1970 has said about 2018.50.6 the people at 'early access' level aren't testing very well either.

Last edited:
Oh FFS!! :mad::mad:, someone needs to find a new career at Telsa because programming isn't their thing.

They need a competent dev lead who has an eye for quality and testing procedures. I imagine that they sit with the 2 MCUs with fake canbus devices hanging off of it in the office, and constantly update the software and reboots it so they never do any long term testing... Just wild guesses though.

But in reality this is why they MUST start some form of external beta testing system because now all of us hoping this update was going to fix Spotify are going to be bitterly disappointed for another month or two until they get it right (and whatever other issues might start to surface). Releasing updates to end users and waiting for feedback is not how it is supposed to work.

How do they get the feedback though? Is there some definitive way the feedback is registered and a ticket is created and followed up? It all seems so "loose" and "non-deterministic"

Speaking of the early access program. Random people get invited. But I've heard firsthand from people that they often don't get the new versions. Many times after end-users get it ...

How do they get the feedback though? Is there some definitive way the feedback is registered and a ticket is created and followed up? It all seems so "loose" and "non-deterministic"
Well my experience in dealing with Tesla HQ customer service via Email was 1 reply from 5 Emails sent (about getting ownership details transferred), so that is probably not worth your time.
I feel sorry for the service centres, they should not be a software feedback mechanism but it appears they are the only way to get issues passed back to the mothership.
I don't know, are we all supposed to join Twitter and harass the big boss directly?

What nonsense! MVP does NOT mean minimal testing. It means minimal features. In fact, software developed from MVP in incremental releases is generally of significantly higher quality than alternate methods because each release is thoroughly tested before new features are added, significantly reducing risk. In fact Tesla do have a beta test program that people sign up for; ordinary users do not get beta test software, they get thoroughly well rested software. As a 20 year veteran of BMW ownership, I can tell you that the software in my new Model 3 is as robust, if not more robust as the software in my BMWs.
MVP means a minimally viable product, something that does “just enough” to get by. This means that new features aren’t fully fleshed out and can be rolled out before all functionality of that feature has been implemented which can cause bugs or unintended user behavior.
I’m not saying it is isn’t robust. I’m just saying don’t expect perfection that you may expect from your typical automaker.
Also, the fast iterations of MVP software introduces bugs, which at least will get fixed rapidly but it will happen. I’m not saying this is bad, again, just don’t expect perfection and expect that things may not work as expected.

Reactions: rush6410