Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for that confirmation. Guess I will give that a rest. Jeez, Tesla.

I guess they really don’t test anything before we get it. I know it was fine before 16.

Yeah the dash cam worked great for me in previous versions. 16.2 was the first one, for me at least, where I had all these weird bugs. At least Autopilot works great on this version for me. :)

Reactions: boaterva
Thanks for that confirmation. Guess I will give that a rest. Jeez, Tesla.

I guess they really don’t test anything before we get it. I know it was fine before 16.

So super weird. I’m still on 16.2 and haven’t done a reboot and haven’t changed anything, but all of a sudden the dash cam started working and getting the red dot icon now. Also a couple of the other bugs I had like the frozen energy graph and location not updating in the phone app are all working fine again. However, my slacker radio no longer works. Lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So super weird. I’m still on 16.2 and haven’t done a reboot and haven’t changed anything, but all of a sudden the dash cam started working and getting the red dot icon now. Also a couple of the other bugs I had like the frozen energy graph and location not updating in the phone app are all working fine again. However, my slacker radio no longer works. Lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
First 16 (and only so far) I had was 16.2 on the X and it definitely broke it. Had a 32 GB SanDisk before.

The thing that is the strangest is that the dashcam icon is there when the USB is removed. That sounds like a process is frozen. And of course rebooted several times with no change. Just checked the car, no miraculous recovery.

First 16 (and only so far) I had was 16.2 on the X and it definitely broke it. Had a 32 GB SanDisk before.

The thing that is the strangest is that the dashcam icon is there when the USB is removed. That sounds like a process is frozen. And of course rebooted several times with no change. Just checked the car, no miraculous recovery.

This one is definitely a strange one. I want my slacker working again but I’m afraid if I reboot, all the other stuff will break again lol

Sentry Mode w/AP2.0 question... I'm currently on SW v2019.16.2 and have been using Sentry Mode. I know that it does not record any video and only shows the HAL screen when activated. I read somewhere that when coming back to your car that a message would be displayed showing the number of times Sentry Mode was activated. I have never seen this and I have tested it. Is this something you get only when video is being recorded?

Sentry Mode w/AP2.0 question... I'm currently on SW v2019.16.2 and have been using Sentry Mode. I know that it does not record any video and only shows the HAL screen when activated. I read somewhere that when coming back to your car that a message would be displayed showing the number of times Sentry Mode was activated. I have never seen this and I have tested it. Is this something you get only when video is being recorded?
Yes, only for AP2.5+.

So, is there an actual point to having Sentry Mode enabled on AP2.0 other than draining the battery? I was wondering whether there was any way of recording, but now having reviewed the manual I see you're correct.

So, is there an actual point to having Sentry Mode enabled on AP2.0 other than draining the battery? I was wondering whether there was any way of recording, but now having reviewed the manual I see you're correct.
It's purely as a deterrent to thieves and vandals who theoretically won't know the difference between ap2/2.5+ cars but may know about the sentry feature.

It's purely as a deterrent to thieves and vandals who theoretically won't know the difference between ap2/2.5+ cars but may know about the sentry feature.
And don’t forget having sentry mode enabled disengages the cabin overheat protection.
That’s kind of a big deal down here in Texas in the coming summer months I can tell you.
Not sure why exactly that’s the case they can’t both be on, but someone seems to think it’s important

And don’t forget having sentry mode enabled disengages the cabin overheat protection.
That’s kind of a big deal down here in Texas in the coming summer months I can tell you.
Not sure why exactly that’s the case they can’t both be on, but someone seems to think it’s important
Did not know that. Happen to know where that is documented? Here in Northern CA it is already pushing 100 deg outside some days.

Then it's truly useless to have Sentry Mode active on 2.0 car - at least cabin overheat is functional (especially since the risk of the touchscreen yellowing increases). I wonder for those with 2.5 if both are active how bad the battery drain would be if both could be enabled.

Then it's truly useless to have Sentry Mode active on 2.0 car - at least cabin overheat is functional. I wonder for those with 2.5 if both are active how bad the battery drain would be if both could be enabled.
Cabin overheat uses almost nothing whilst monitoring the temperature. When it kicks in the A/C however, that's when it consumes power. Why have Sentry on 2.0? Because someone asked Elon for it on twitter as a deterrent and he agreed and that seems to be the most effective means of getting features into the car.

Cabin overheat uses almost nothing whilst monitoring the temperature. When it kicks in the A/C however, that's when it consumes power. Why have Sentry on 2.0? Because someone asked Elon for it on twitter as a deterrent and he agreed and that seems to be the most effective means of getting features into the car.

What I mean is, that if it comes down to a choice between Sentry Mode OR Cabin Overheat, I'll activate the one that actually works. I know how much of an effect Cabin Overheat has, but my [speculative] question is (since Tesla won't allow for both) what would the potential battery drain would be. I'm assuming that Tesla won't allow it because it does drain the battery quicker for some reason - perhaps it'll happen later. Personally, it's not really a "feature" if it's not seriously functional on the HW2.0 cars. Yes, I can see others using it, but the issue over the touchscreen yellowing (and it's an owner's expense to replace it according to Tesla), I'll do what I think best preserves the car.

Did not know that. Happen to know where that is documented? Here in Northern CA it is already pushing 100 deg outside some days.
No I’m sorry I don’t. Of course with Tesla software updates documenting what it actually does is part of the Tesla tribal knowledge that drives me crazy.
Sorry I digress
Another user posted it and I have been trying it for a few days at work. My car interior easily was hitting 120 this week in the afternoon with sentry mode on. And of course with it off it stays right around 105 as it always has. Down here in Texas if it hits 100 outside the interior temps can skyrocket and I just don’t think that’s good for longevity of the interior trim .
Cabin overheat protection(COP) can use about 10 miles of range on a long day at work in summer (10 hours sitting) and I have seen sentry mode use maybe 4-5 miles on a day parked. I have 200 miles of range and a 70 mile commute each typical day. I am fine with 15 miles lost each day.
And what about a simple scenario of going to the mall with the family for a couple hours where you don’t want the car to gets so damn hot when you come out to leave? And you for sure want sentry mode on(if available) in a dang mall parking lot.
It’s ashame. Two great features I want to use “together”

What I mean is, that if it comes down to a choice between Sentry Mode OR Cabin Overheat, I'll activate the one that actually works. I know how much of an effect Cabin Overheat has, but my [speculative] question is (since Tesla won't allow for both) what would the potential battery drain would be. I'm assuming that Tesla won't allow it because it does drain the battery quicker for some reason - perhaps it'll happen later. Personally, it's not really a "feature" if it's not seriously functional on the HW2.0 cars. Yes, I can see others using it, but the issue over the touchscreen yellowing (and it's an owner's expense to replace it according to Tesla), I'll do what I think best preserves the car.
I don't think it has anything to do with battery usage. Perhaps the movement of air somehow interferes with the motion detection and gives it a false positive with the sentry mode? I know it detects close camera movement and noise so maybe it triggers the latter?

I don't think it has anything to do with battery usage. Perhaps the movement of air somehow interferes with the motion detection and gives it a false positive with the sentry mode? I know it detects close camera movement and noise so maybe it triggers the latter?

I would doubt that it's got anything to do with air movement. Surely they could figure out the inherent noise of the fan and ignore it.