Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Download gets stuck at 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mines was still stuck at 50% even overnight. Will see what Tesla says.

Is this still a thing that works, found it on the web.

3) Hold down both buttons over the scroll wheel while pressing the brake pedal. This is a deeper reboot than the previous one. Obviously, you can't do this while driving.

Last edited:
Mines was still stuck at 50% even overnight. Will see what Tesla says.

Is this still a thing that works, found it on the web.

3) Hold down both buttons over the scroll wheel while pressing the brake pedal. This is a deeper reboot than the previous one. Obviously, you can't do this while driving.
That’s old. Pressing the brake pedal doesn’t do anything anymore

Reactions: ay221
I have mines set to normal not advance so I need to click yes to download. However it still tries to download and gets stuck, but a couple of days later at 6 in the morning it will ask if I wish to install the latest firmware and that it will take 30 minutes to complete. I click on install and it installs completely just fine.

I’m an apartment dweller so have to use my phone as a hotspot. Def still an issue and is quite annoying as I sit here anywhere from 15 - 45 min as it continually stalls though I have good reception. 6-8mbps.

Attachments

• 7ABA9D11-9A1E-4F50-9D57-90A41D29E587.jpeg
    7ABA9D11-9A1E-4F50-9D57-90A41D29E587.jpeg
    665.2 KB · Views: 325
Yeah, I don't get a good WiFi signal in my car... but I get a good WiFi signal to my *phone* while sitting *in* my car. Perhaps the WiFi antenna in the Model 3 is weak.

Because of that, I typically park in a bad spot outside my window on the wrong side of the road and sit in the car waiting for the update to download. For the first year I never experienced the "stuck at 50%" bug, but now it seems to happen every time. Frustrating waste of time sitting in the car for half an hour as it is... but turning the WiFi on and off and rebooting the computer makes it much worse.

Sadly, Tesla has no one capable of fixing this bug.

Wait, Wait, wait, how did I never think of this? Turn off the system during a software update because it takes a few minutes. What could possibly go wrong?
It's not a few minutes. It just stops. So far, downloading updates has been a two-day process for me. I get the first 50% one day, then come back the next day for the rest. It doesn't happen in a reasonable amount of time.