Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably has been answered before but can’t seem to find it. I have a 22 MS and have software version 2022.20.7 installed with the car asking to update to 2022.20.9. (Going to wait a while on that since it disables the radar). My question is that I see other people on 2022.24. Have had the car for 4 months now and have done several updates. Why wouldn’t the latest 2022.24 be available for update in the car? It looks like the latest version of the IPhone Tesla app indicates that it requires vehicle software version 2022.24+.

Attachments

• 70D05522-53B3-4905-9425-859DA45D7CBF.jpeg
    70D05522-53B3-4905-9425-859DA45D7CBF.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 116
How long you gonna wait to keep Radar? A week, a month, a year, for life of the car?

Eventually you will probably get an update forced.

I knew this was was coming and why I didn’t hesitate replacing my Radar equipped car with non equipped radar.

You are either on the Tesla Train or off. There is no à la cart.

Chances are that .24.x will also disable radar. I don't think I've seen more recent updates with less features than the preceding one. If 24 doesn't remove it then the next one probably will. It's surprising they kept so many branches for so long, they were due to merge, and it's happening now. Resistance is futile as the Borg would say.

The time between a new version coming out and your particular car being allowed to download it varies, no one has been able to derive a proper formula yet. It can take multiple weeks for sure. I have not received .24 and have not received notification for .20.9 either. Sometimes I'm in the first thousand (on TeslaFi), sometimes I'm in the last batch... It's a lottery.

How long you gonna wait to keep Radar? A week, a month, a year, for life of the car?

Eventually you will probably get an update forced.

I knew this was was coming and why I didn’t hesitate replacing my Radar equipped car with non equipped radar.

You are either on the Tesla Train or off. There is no à la cart.
FWIW, I got the one of the first 2022 MS without Radar in March. At delivery the TACC following distance and PB was way worse than my 2018 with Radar. After a few updates it improved, but is still worse. So delaying the update has the potential benefit to have more consistent following with TACC and hopefully less PB. The pain with the inconsistent following distance is that you can not easily adjust it on the 2022 like you could with the 2018.

Note, I am still on a fairly old 2022.12.3.20 build. So it may be a lot better in 2022.20.9. However I don't see the harm in waiting to see what others say before upgrading, and then possibly delaying a bit until things improve, or there is a new feature you willing to accept for the added PBs and inconsistent following distance.

I have a 2022 March S with no Radar too. Follow distance Been absolutely fine. Total nonsense. PB has not changed and not a problem for me. Came from a 2019 which also had PB. Hope your car doesn’t overheat during supercharge precondition by not having that critical fix that came out in March / April.

The worst PB was on my Model 3 when they first released Nav on AutoPilot. It was bad for an about a year.

As mentioned some of it was poor map data.