Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update via LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3LR hasn't been in range of my Wi-Fi network for over 2.5 months and been on LTE 100%. I am still stuck on 2019.20.1 9973c22. Although I know Tesla prioritizes Wi-Fi connections for updates, I thought would eventually push updates over LTE, but it's been 80 days now.

Is this normal? I have premium internet, although it should not matter. Should I bring this up with the Service Center?

My 3LR hasn't been in range of my Wi-Fi network for over 2.5 months and been on LTE 100%. I am still stuck on 2019.20.1 9973c22. Although I know Tesla prioritizes Wi-Fi connections for updates, I thought would eventually push updates over LTE, but it's been 80 days now.

Is this normal? I have premium internet, although it should not matter. Should I bring this up with the Service Center?

I don't think it pushes updates over LTE unless they're critical safety updates.

First when you look under Software does it say Update Available Please Connect to WiFi? If so (and it should) just drive up as close as you can get to the Service Center and you should be able to connect to the WiFi. I pull up behind the building near chargers and put a note on my car.

IMG_0633.jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.27.29 PM.png

Tesla used to send updates via LTE, I know because I got one at work back in April shortly after my purchase. Go to a location like a StarBucks with free WiFi and try it there, could be a few hours, also take it to a Service Center, they will push it for you there.

Fred

Tesla used to send updates via LTE, I know because I got one at work back in April shortly after my purchase. Go to a location like a StarBucks with free WiFi and try it there, could be a few hours, also take it to a Service Center, they will push it for you there.

Fred
The problem with may public WiFi's are they require a web confirmation page and Tesla doesn't support this. Have run into this problem several times.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
First when you look under Software does it say Update Available Please Connect to WiFi? If so (and it should) just drive up as close as you can get to the Service Center and you should be able to connect to the WiFi. I pull up behind the building near chargers and put a note on my car.

View attachment 448488 View attachment 448487
Good point, but uh oh, I figured out the phone anyway. :eek:

Reactions: APotatoGod

This always worked for me (Nov 2016 - Aug 2017):
  1. Be out of data on my phone plan so I really don't want to use much data.
  2. Go to Manteca SuperCharger while I'm REALLY tired. I think it was always night time.
  3. Play around with web browser on car. Realize I want wifi connected.
  4. Put my Verizon or T-Mobile phone into Personal Hotspot wifi mode.
  5. Log my Tesla wifi into my phone hotspot.
  6. Play with web browser in car.
  7. Get tired enough to sleep.
  8. Put car in camper mode.
  9. Put out camper mattress.
  10. Go to sleep.
  11. This was before SuperCharger late fees. I would wake up anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours later.
  12. Update ready to install! Would you like to install it now?
  13. Me: I'm wanting to get back on the road! What the heck!
That happened to me 3 times. Fully half my updates happened that way. Pick out what magic you think might have triggered it. I think it had something to do with the car being awake at the same time as being connected to wifi and yet me not demanding much of it (since I was asleep). Therefore, a similar situation like mine might help: long stays at SuperChargers connected to your phone wifi connection.

I don't know why SuperChargers were triggers. Maybe it just preferred my phone hotspots over my home wifi. It could have been a geofenced thing, like try out these Central Valley dusty people before the tony Coastal areas far away from service centers. My home was more than 20 miles away from the nearest service center, but I think I would catch the updates while connected to wifi when not far away from service centers. Maybe being on wifi close to a service center (other than the service center itself) triggered the update, then it just kept downloading where ever I went and whenever I connected into wifi again. Maybe just driving past a service center on LTE did it. My guess is the biggest trigger is connecting to your phone's wifi.

At the time, there were options to make it more responsive to things like TeslaFi, but then we started tuning it later to also not have as much vampire drain when TeslaFi logs in, so I eventually set that careful mode up. I don't know what interactions those settings had or would have now.

Last edited:
Being on wi-fi every night means Tesla is able to download your driving logs. I haven't charged in over a week, have a 5 minute commute and wi-fi beamed to my garage. I haven't experienced any excessive vampire drain (single digits in 24 hours) so I'm happy.

With the last update my car refused to connect to my home Wi-Fi… No idea why there was a problem, but I eventually pulled out my AT&T hotspot and did it that way.

Tesla goes through a firewall is banned from contacting any IP address not from the United States. I’m wondering if that has anything to do with it… Basically it has an outbound deny anything rule on the dedicated wireless network for the car.