Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to get software updates a few days after the mass rollout. However, after changing my software setting to "Advanced" I haven't been able to download the latest update. It just says to connect car to Wifi to download the latest software. (I am connected to Wifi.) Turned off Wifi then turned it back on, restarted the car with both the soft and hard reset, tried a different network. Not sure what else to do besides contact service. Anyone experiencing this? Im currently running 2019.16.2

Do you have “Keep Climate On” on?

Change your WIFI network to 2.4ghz.

Read what I wrote on the first page, submit the service ticket from that App.

Fred
Fred, I do not have "Keep Climate On" set to on. My network is on 2.4ghz. Next step seems to be the service ticket from the App and or text my local Mobile Service Ranger to see if he has any ideas. Thanks for your help!

Fred, I do not have "Keep Climate On" set to on. My network is on 2.4ghz. Next step seems to be the service ticket from the App and or text my local Mobile Service Ranger to see if he has any ideas. Thanks for your help!
They will push an update within 2 hours after submitting the service ticket, make sure you select Software update further down on the list.

Fred

I've had my Model 3 since late Sept 2018 and have received all but three software updates over 4G cell service. I sent email to Tesla and asked about the need for wifi service to receive updates. They relied that wifi allowed faster downloads, but all my 4G downloads have happened in a bit over 20". The wifi updates happened twice at Tesla and once when I parked my car in my front yard; my garage is too far from the house to receive wifi and too far to use repeaters to span the distance.

I got my first update over 4G the day after I picked up the car, but since then i get updates about every month to two months and am now on 20.4.2. Once gain, I've received more software updates over 4G--no wifi available or required. My last update jumped me from 5.15 to 20.4.2.

Since the latest update, the release notes tell me that I have now got "temporary speed limit recognition", meaning speed limits that are only valid for a certain amount of time, like during construction work.
But the release notes also say that I need the latest map update for that and that I should connect to my WiFi and download said map update. But there is now way to initiate this update manually, at least not that I would have found one.

Anyone know how I can trigger a separate update just for the map data? Is that even possible? I mean it should be somehow, why else would the release notes say so?

Just a few days ago, someone wrote on here that a mobile service tech told him to set his WiFi to 2.4ghz, why? Who knows.

Fred
Maybe we don't have WiFi 5GHz support. For instance the Apple Watch doesn't have 5GHz WiFi chip. Or it could be about distance or walls. 5GHz doesn't travel very far and can't penetrate walls very well. If you don't have 5GHz repeater inside your garage you probably won't get a good connection.

Maybe we don't have WiFi 5GHz support. For instance the Apple Watch doesn't have 5GHz WiFi chip. Or it could be about distance or walls. 5GHz doesn't travel very far and can't penetrate walls very well. If you don't have 5GHz repeater inside your garage you probably won't get a good connection.

Oh, it definitely has 5GHz support. It wouldn’t see my SSID otherwise.

Signal propagation is a real thing, but in my case, I do have an access point in the garage about 10 feet from the vehicle. So that’s a non-issue for me. Just wasn’t sure about the “why” - but sounds like one of those apocryphal tales ....

Guys, I had this problem and couldn't figure out why. I ended up making a service appointment through the app and mentioned my problem. 2 days later someone from Tesla service texted me saying that my car should have the update now and that this occasionally happens. Sure enough my update was ready to install. Hope this helps!

76B22838-CC1A-4A3E-AB68-6CCE86D0BC9E.jpeg

Hmm, but what does “performed” mean. Can it be downloaded but just not installed?
For that matter, what does “active” mean ... is it only if the feature is not “off”, or if the fans are actually active.

Edit: Answered already ...

Keeping Climate On or Sentry Mode on won't stop you from receiving an update notification or even download. You just can't do an install with them on. If you try you will receive a popup screen telling you to turn off for the install to take place.

I just took delivery of my M3P with FSD on July 9th. I had an update come in the next morning, but it seems odd -- I have it set to "Advanced" for updates -- I see "Advanced Summon" in the settings options (Beta) , but I am seeing some stuff others mention are old - like the App Launcher being in the condensed box on the left hand side -- and I dont have the "Beach Buggy Racing" game in the arcade....

Not sure whats up - whether I have an updated version or not:

Software Version: 2019.15.104.1

Also interested to find out if I have HW3 or 2.5? Any help is appreciated!

I may try the "Software Update" Service request next week if I dont hear anything soon...

I just took delivery of my M3P with FSD on July 9th. I had an update come in the next morning, but it seems odd -- I have it set to "Advanced" for updates -- I see "Advanced Summon" in the settings options (Beta) , but I am seeing some stuff others mention are old - like the App Launcher being in the condensed box on the left hand side -- and I dont have the "Beach Buggy Racing" game in the arcade....

Not sure whats up - whether I have an updated version or not:

Software Version: 2019.15.104.1

Also interested to find out if I have HW3 or 2.5? Any help is appreciated!

I may try the "Software Update" Service request next week if I dont hear anything soon...
It takes a few weeks to get caught up. Almost everyone is on 20.x now (see pic about 1 week old). You can use the App under Service and request a software update.

The easiest way to check for HW3 is to pull your Dashcam/Sentry Mode drive and check the format of the video recorded. HW 2.5 does H.264/AVC and HW3 is H.265/HEVC.
IMG_0223.jpeg