Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates paused?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also wondering if there could be a drop in the number of people reporting. Lots of new people here don't know about Tesla Traker. It used to be people like @Andyw2100 , @HankLloydRight and @dirkhh were always reminding people to update the database. I don't see much of that anymore.

Well, I am relatively new but know about the Tesla Tracker and have updated such. However, only one update ever downloaded: 2.24.30 on 18 Jun, just 12 days after car delivery. Pretty sure it came via LTE as wifi doesn't appear to connect automatically (unless I've missed a setting). The last three nights, after relocating wifi I have had very strong signals but still no updates.

Do they "push" these to everyone at once or individually or how? I cannot seem to locate a definitive thread/answer.

Not as worried as I am curious. The car is fine so I don't think I'm missing much.

Well, I am relatively new but know about the Tesla Tracker and have updated such. However, only one update ever downloaded: 2.24.30 on 18 Jun, just 12 days after car delivery. Pretty sure it came via LTE as wifi doesn't appear to connect automatically (unless I've missed a setting). The last three nights, after relocating wifi I have had very strong signals but still no updates.

Do they "push" these to everyone at once or individually or how? I cannot seem to locate a definitive thread/answer.

Not as worried as I am curious. The car is fine so I don't think I'm missing much.

There is no definitive answer to your question - but there has always been some random distribution of who gets what releases, and that seems to be happening even more recently.

In 'the good old days' there would be a release, and within a few weeks or a month, pretty much everyone would get it. Currently there seem to be lots of small releases going to just a few cars each - it has been guessed that these are small trials of certain functions to see how they behave. Eventually, there will be a full release that we all get.

My old car is still on the same version as you - I haven't had an update for quite a few weeks, so nothing to worry about

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
It would be interesting to see a chart of software release frequency. Back in the day before the D (2012, 13, 14), my recollection is that we would usually wait several months or more between updates. With the D and AP, plus increasing global market with geographic/regulatory variations, it seems that Tesla started publishing releasees much, much more frequently. Many of those contained mainly tweaks to D and AP. IMHO, that is unsustainable. Maybe they are realizing that, and going back to the future!?!?

I see 2.26.150 got released today.

My S received it yesterday during a service to have the tires rotated. Have not driven much since then but what driving I did seem to "see" the lines on the road better and the browser seemed to load pages faster (still slow, but fast for Tesla). Could just be coincidence but I see from the online tracker that others received the same update so will be watching the forums to learn about others' experiences.

Since getting my car in early 2013, I believe there was only one release that was distributed to all cars within a short (24 hour?) period.

In that release, Tesla disabled the automatic air suspension system due to safety concerns (after that Tesla, retrofitted armor plating to provide better protection for the battery pack). This release was distributed so quickly, that most owners didn't realize they were losing the air suspension feature until after the release was installed.

Otherwise, I typically don't see updates until weeks (or longer) after the first reports on the forums.

Since getting my car in early 2013, I believe there was only one release that was distributed to all cars within a short (24 hour?) period.

In that release, Tesla disabled the automatic air suspension system due to safety concerns (after that Tesla, retrofitted armor plating to provide better protection for the battery pack). This release was distributed so quickly, that most owners didn't realize they were losing the air suspension feature until after the release was installed.

Otherwise, I typically don't see updates until weeks (or longer) after the first reports on the forums.
Except 7.0. That was distributed to all cars in the U.S. in 24 hours. It would have been world-wide but for needed regulatory approvals in some countries.

It would be interesting to see a chart of software release frequency. Back in the day before the D (2012, 13, 14), my recollection is that we would usually wait several months or more between updates. With the D and AP, plus increasing global market with geographic/regulatory variations, it seems that Tesla started publishing releasees much, much more frequently. Many of those contained mainly tweaks to D and AP. IMHO, that is unsustainable. Maybe they are realizing that, and going back to the future!?!?

This isn't really intended as a criticism, but rather as an observation.

I think one of the reasons for the increased number of releases since the introduction of the Ds and AP is that a large number of the releases have introduced small (or occasionally not so small) bugs that then require another release to correct.

I'm not saying this is a good thing when I say this isn't intended as a criticism. Obviously it would be better if there weren't any bugs in the released firmware versions. But if the choice is get software updates more quickly, occasionally with bugs that will then be fixed quickly, versus getting updates at a much slower rate, I think I'd actually choose the quicker updates, with some bugs. You can't have it all!

Reactions: msnow

Agree, but the 24 hours is a myth. I did not get the lowering update for 10 days. It was faster than normal though!!!

• Funny
Reactions: TaoJones
See the firmware post, i just got two updates back to back. on 2.28.19

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    140.5 KB · Views: 48