Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do they give some cars one update and other cars another update?

I see yesterday they updated 283 cars. 280 got one update and 3 got a later update.

upload_2019-3-11_13-36-34.png

Not sure if this is what happened to me but I have the yellow border issue on my touchscreen so I scheduled an appt to bring my X to the service center to have it looked at. The following day I got an email from a service advisor letting me know that it was a known issue and that they are releasing an updated screen later this year so he went ahead and cancelled my service appt. I replied to his email and asked that he run a diagnostic on my car to see if there was anything "stuck" as far as software updates and even asked if the latest software can be pushed over. I never got a return email but did get a notification on my tesla app that a software update was available. That was about 20 mins after I had sent that email. Coincidence? Maybe...but worth a try.

BTW I have an July 2018 Model X P100D if that makes any difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
I was always one of the later person to get update. I was selected to get 2019.8.1. I think the order is totally random, but what I would always do during release time is put the car in always connected mode. Hopefully the stronger signal will help get the software faster. The 2019.8 update was over 500MB

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
Not sure if this is what happened to me but I have the yellow border issue on my touchscreen so I scheduled an appt to bring my X to the service center to have it looked at. The following day I got an email from a service advisor letting me know that it was a known issue and that they are releasing an updated screen later this year so he went ahead and cancelled my service appt. I replied to his email and asked that he run a diagnostic on my car to see if there was anything "stuck" as far as software updates and even asked if the latest software can be pushed over. I never got a return email but did get a notification on my tesla app that a software update was available. That was about 20 mins after I had sent that email. Coincidence? Maybe...but worth a try.

BTW I have an July 2018 Model X P100D if that makes any difference.
That’s been my experience as well - if you ask for an update using the app to schedule service, they’ll push it via OTA.

I’m still stuck on 2018.49.20. Only 1% of cars on TeslaFi have that. However, Model X makes up most of that 1%.

Kind of annoying that there is really no explanation or sense of why or when you may get an update.

Hanging on 2018.50.6

Had a long old chat with a software engineer in the states last week. He confirmed that being on a trusted (he may have meant secure?) strong WiFi network and charging/high SoC usually results in downloading the newest three updates if coming from a 2018 build. I.e 2019.8.3 then 8.4 then 8.5

Hope this helps!

Had a long old chat with a software engineer in the states last week. He confirmed that being on a trusted (he may have meant secure?) strong WiFi network and charging/high SoC usually results in downloading the newest three updates if coming from a 2018 build. I.e 2019.8.3 then 8.4 then 8.5

Hope this helps!
Updated to 2019.8.4 now. Rebooted. not sure if that had anything to do with it though.
2017 Model X D100. 2.0

It would be very interesting to know more about the when and how they choose to do releases to the various vehicles in the fleet. I'm sitting on the 2019.8.3 release and it's what I'm calling the least polished version I've had in my 15 months. It's nearly to the point where I've contemplated reaching out to service to ask for one of the newer versions since I need to restart the MCU every other day to keep maps working but I'm secretly hoping that if my "days since update" is higher there just might be a chance I'm placed higher on the list for the next stable rollout. :D (I'm sure that's only wishful thinking though!)

It would be very interesting to know more about the when and how they choose to do releases to the various vehicles in the fleet. I'm sitting on the 2019.8.3 release and it's what I'm calling the least polished version I've had in my 15 months. It's nearly to the point where I've contemplated reaching out to service to ask for one of the newer versions since I need to restart the MCU every other day to keep maps working but I'm secretly hoping that if my "days since update" is higher there just might be a chance I'm placed higher on the list for the next stable rollout. :D (I'm sure that's only wishful thinking though!)

If you are having a problem like you described, you absolutely should open a case. I would just report your your symptoms though, and not suggest a software update. Let Tesla figure out what the problem is. I really doubt your problem is related to a specific version. If it was, it would affect everybody, which it clearly does not.

If you are having a problem like you described, you absolutely should open a case. I would just report your your symptoms though, and not suggest a software update. Let Tesla figure out what the problem is. I really doubt your problem is related to a specific version. If it was, it would affect everybody, which it clearly does not.

Tesla knows that 2019.8.x is a disaster. They're working on it. Model X users with MCU1 seem to be hardest hit (and maybe the only ones hit?), with the system self-rebooting every couple of days, consistently broken voice control, and various other misbehavior. I can't imagine how this steaming pile of excrement got shipped out so broadly. Heck, even AutoSteer is badly broken. I've had to manually take control an order of magnitude more often in 2019.8.x than 2018.50.6 (where x ∈ {3,5} for me so far).

I suspect it's the combination of AP2.5 and MCU1, which only overlapped for about a six-month period from mid-August of 2017 to mid-February of 2018. Maybe their beta testing didn't include that combination?

Either way. I think they've taken the "move fast and break things" concept a bit too far for my taste. If I'm going to be constantly living on alpha-quality builds, I should at least be getting early access features....

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
What are the best methods for reporting issues like this? I know you can use the "bug report" command but I'm not certain what that collects. I feel that my service center is far too busy to have time to field the smaller issues like these and I didn't see any appropriate means on tesla.com's "Contact" page.

On the bright side, my car did get 2019.8.5 yesterday morning so my patience wasn't wasted.

What are the best methods for reporting issues like this? I know you can use the "bug report" command but I'm not certain what that collects. I feel that my service center is far too busy to have time to field the smaller issues like these and I didn't see any appropriate means on tesla.com's "Contact" page.

I would think submitting a bug report would not take of it, You need to open a specific service ticket requesting attention. This can be email or phone call to your local SC, or the help desk ([email protected]). You also can use the "Schedule Service" option in the Tesla App on your phone, or the web site.

On the bright side, my car did get 2019.8.5 yesterday morning so my patience wasn't wasted.

I have taken my X in repeatedly because of software update delays... the last one they did nothing, and told me to pick up the car... it was “ready”. I spoke to a manager and I think they spent a day taking apart the computer. Multiple updates that day.... now the car air conditioning is much louder, I think there is a louder computer fan because it is always running... and we still have 2018.50.6. I made another appointment for next week. Very frustrating. No problems with the Model S.

Big leap forward.

I've been having trouble getting my M3 to update. I was on 8.6.1.
This morning I was trying to update again and my app kept popping up telling me charging was complete and the update would drop out.

So I unplugged it and then it took a bit longer but it still dropped out.

I went to turn the car around to get the front end ( and the computers ) 20 ft closer to my router because the signal wasn't all that good.

When I got in the car a message popped up that an update was available but Sentry Mode was on and I should turn it off and try again.

So I turned the car around and the update window came up with a timer to allow me to tell it when to update. I said right now. It gave me 2 minutes to get out of the car before the update started.

When I was done I had 12.1.2 which I think is the latest version. I was shocked because before I just got incremental updates with older versions.

But I've learned you can't have Sentry Mode on and get updates and having it charging is also not a good thing maybe.

Anyrate I'm a happy Tesla'r now.