Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software upgrade for faster performance possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't find this addressed in previous posts, so here goes: In June 2019 I purchased a dual-motor long-range version of the Tesla Model 3. I couldn't justify what was then an almost $10,000 premium for the performance version. But now I'm wondering if I can pay for a software upgrade to get me the faster performance (0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds instead of 4.4 seconds). I realize I can't get the other performance options this way (larger brake calipers, lower suspicion, larger rims, etc.), but I'd gladly pay for a slightly faster car. Is this possible?

Couldn't find this addressed in previous posts, so here goes: In June 2019 I purchased a dual-motor long-range version of the Tesla Model 3. I couldn't justify what was then an almost $10,000 premium for the performance version. But now I'm wondering if I can pay for a software upgrade to get me the faster performance (0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds instead of 4.4 seconds). I realize I can't get the other performance options this way (larger brake calipers, lower suspicion, larger rims, etc.), but I'd gladly pay for a slightly faster car. Is this possible?
There's actually a few threads about this, but they quickly get buried in the forum churn.

Here's a very short summary...

Up until early in 2019, the LR AWD used the same front and rear motors as the Performance. Then sometime early in the year, Tesla started putting the "990" rear motor in the LR AWD, while still using the "980" rear motor in the Performance cars.

The current popular theory is that people that own earlier LR AWD cars with the "980" rear motor could potentially get a software upgrade in the future and "uncork" the car to be a Performance. The current LR AWD cars with the "990" rear motor are out of luck.

But at this point in time, ALL non-performance owners are out of luck, as Tesla offers no software upgrade to Performance at this time.

Unlikely that you'll ever be able to get the full step up, even if something is offered. See above.

(0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds instead of 4.4 seconds)

It's more like 3.1 seconds for P3D, and about 4.0 seconds for the AWD. (It's probably slightly more than each of those numbers, but less than 3.2/4.1.) These numbers exclude the 1-foot rollout time, which is around 0.3 seconds for each.

I decided what the hell, and just tweeted at Elon and Tesla.

This is what I wrote:
@tesla @elonmusk Seems there’s several million in revenue potential for a software based performance upgrade for existing LR AWD Model 3s. Charge $6k to make it a P3D- or some lower amount to make it fall between the AWD and P3D.

Reactions: phantasms
But now I'm wondering if I can pay for a software upgrade to get me the faster performance ?
Increase performance for acceleration imply more current.
- I wonder if there should also some hardware difference too to handle more current?

Anyway, unless you race a track on weekend, when would you really use the improve performance?
- In city driving speed is mostly limited to 25 miles per hour, and 30 or 35 in some areas.

So, unless you are near another Tesla, or may be a Porsche or a Corvette,
when a traffic light change to green nobody nobody would challenge you,
and in less than 2 second you will already reach the speed limit.

It wouldn't be smart of Tesla to use different parts in the AWD and P3D. More inventory, more things to keep track of, more cost.

Tesla could offer a performance upgrade to AWD cars via software download that would get them most of the way to P3D status. Things like big brakes, big wheels, and lower suspension are not necessary for straight line acceleration.

While they are at it, give the early LR RWD cars a little boost into the high 4's, as they are currently too close to the 5.3 0-60 of the SR RWD.

Reactions: rawrguthlaf
I decided what the hell, and just tweeted at Elon and Tesla.

This is what I wrote:
@tesla @elonmusk Seems there’s several million in revenue potential for a software based performance upgrade for existing LR AWD Model 3s. Charge $6k to make it a P3D- or some lower amount to make it fall between the AWD and P3D.
Hahaha! And risk all the "negative press" and complaints from Model 3 Performance owners who originally ponied-up the $10K?.... just to "give" us non-P Model 3 owners a performance level, at 40% less than retail?..... Elon might be crazy, but give him a little more credit- if he offered this, he'd really be labeled a public sell-out. The Tesla PR team / department would likely have its hands full forever and the media would grill, fry, and filet Elon for this, and not to mention, opening the doors to mock and meme all Model 3 owners, and any future Tesla owners, forever! Pipe dream ;-)

Hahaha! And risk all the "negative press" and complaints from Model 3 Performance owners who originally ponied-up the $10K?

Thanks to the FUSC $5000 refunds, no P3D- owner paid that in the end.

It was 4-6k extra compared to an AWD car.

Which is roughly the price range folks talk about when discussing the idea of an AWD->P3D- unlock.

(the P3D+ folks paid more, but of course they actually got additional HW for it)

Reactions: gavine
It wouldn't be smart of Tesla to use different parts in the AWD and P3D. More inventory, more things to keep track of, more cost.

Tesla could offer a performance upgrade to AWD cars via software download that would get them most of the way to P3D status. Things like big brakes, big wheels, and lower suspension are not necessary for straight line acceleration.

While they are at it, give the early LR RWD cars a little boost into the high 4's, as they are currently too close to the 5.3 0-60 of the SR RWD.

Or how bout make the SR+ the same as LR RWD since, LR RWD is deprecated, and make it more attractive to potential future Model 3 buyers:D

No, there needs to be a degree of elitism in Tesla cars. It's a good thing. The SR must always be the "cheap a$$" Model 3, in the same way I would imagine BMW people driving 3 and 5 series cars would look down on BMW-wannabes driving their "Barely-a-BMW" 1 and 2 series cars.

Since Tesla inexplicably is leaving name badges off the Model 3, there should be a way of easily identifying the Wal-Mart priced Model 3 SR cars from the more expensive ones.

Hahaha! And risk all the "negative press" and complaints from Model 3 Performance owners who originally ponied-up the $10K?.... just to "give" us non-P Model 3 owners a performance level, at 40% less than retail?..... Elon might be crazy, but give him a little more credit- if he offered this, he'd really be labeled a public sell-out. The Tesla PR team / department would likely have its hands full forever and the media would grill, fry, and filet Elon for this, and not to mention, opening the doors to mock and meme all Model 3 owners, and any future Tesla owners, forever! Pipe dream ;-)

Exactly. Won't happen because it doesn't need to happen. M-a-y-b-e if they were having trouble selling the performance model, but have you looked at the Performance Waiting Room sub-forum lately? The wait time is 5-6 weeks and longer (even though the website still says 2 weeks LOL). They're selling every one they can possibly build at whatever they want to charge. That helps maximize shareholder value and in the end, that's really the only thing that matters.

Thanks to the FUSC $5000 refunds, no P3D- owner paid that in the end.

It was 4-6k extra compared to an AWD car.

Which is roughly the price range folks talk about when discussing the idea of an AWD->P3D- unlock.

(the P3D+ folks paid more, but of course they actually got additional HW for it)
P3D+ buyers also got the $5k back.

I think Tesla should offer a post-purchase upgrade option. Just charge a premium.

Reactions: ftlum and Vaillant
P3D+ buyers also got the $5k back.

But also paid $5000 more in the first place, and got different hardware for it too... so not really relevant here.

The software unlock would turn an AWD car into exactly a P3D- so that's the relevant price difference to be considering.

Which was 4-6k net depending when exactly you ordered.... (until a few weeks ago anyway with the surprise return of the - at only a 2k premium... though since it appears AWD and P3D- cars no longer have identical hardware like they used to that's also a bit of apples/oranges)

Exactly. Won't happen because it doesn't need to happen. M-a-y-b-e if they were having trouble selling the performance model

That doesn't make any sense.

1) They do need it to happen, because this would be nearly 100% profit, and Tesla desperately needs to start putting up net profits quarter over quarter for stock reasons.

2) These are upgrades to existing, already-sold, cars, mostly from last year- so they have little/nothing to do with new car sales.

, but have you looked at the Performance Waiting Room sub-forum lately? The wait time is 5-6 weeks and longer (even though the website still says 2 weeks LOL). They're selling every one they can possibly build at whatever they want to charge. That helps maximize shareholder value and in the end, that's really the only thing that matters.

Again this makes no sense.

Selling a 2018 AWD owner a $6000 unlock doesn't change anything you wrote, except it increases shareholder value because nearly all that new 6k in revenue is profit.

Reactions: Vaillant
IMO, they should handle Performance unlocks just like they do FSD....If you happen to have a car that could handle the upgrade to Performance, then sell it to the customers that want it.

Makes customers happy. Makes Tesla money. Makes shareholders happy.

But it also makes the guys that bought cars that are not capable of the upgrade very unhappy.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms