TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Solar happenings

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by vfx, Aug 22, 2008.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I'm not sure that works on a cost per watt basis compared to flat panels on a tracker. Looks way too gimmicky.

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Very interesting. I like the catch phrase, "cutting edge without bleeding edge". It's a shame they didn't discuss economics of this design -- it may be more efficient than standard PV, but that's not really a very high bar .

3. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

At any moment half the panels would not be facing the sun.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

With only a small band in the optimal angle. Though they say their lensing is the magic for increasing light on all sun facing triangles.

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I don't believe in magic :wink:

6. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

Just contracted for 6300kv pv solar system and got rebate approval within 10 MINUTES OF my 'time to build your model s' email! Sweet!

from my Samsung galaxy s3

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Just heard this. More people are employed by the Solar industry and in Coal.

Read more: http://science.time.com/2012/08/08/5-questions-for-michael-bloomberg-and-michael-brune/#ixzz2Da6VJQBi

Looks like it has been that way for years. Job Creation | SolarReserve

8. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

Just buying into the first "solar farm" in New Mexico (there are several others in CO). The kwh produced are automatically deducted from my monthly electric bill calculation. If production exceeds usage the remainer rolls over to next month and so on and so on. It is also a 50 year program - the purchase price includes panel replacement some time down the road (but I doubt I will be alive or still own the property at that time). At any time I can sell my ownership on the open market, transfer it to another house in the Kit Carson Co-op service area, or sell it with the house.

It will be interesting to see how it works out compared to my 9+ year old primary residence system.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@Tesla940 - Do you have a fairly direct link for more information? Thanks.

10. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

I think you meant 6.3kW system, not kv; and certainly I think you didn't mean 6300kW! 6.3MW seems excessive for a home system...

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Heh. Maybe he's building a Stark tower replica.

12. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Such a system need not ever face all directions. Rotating cones would only need max 180 degrees coverage, and non-rotating would only have to span winter to summer variations of sun exposure.

13. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

Try this - Kit Carson Cooperative Community Solar: Community Solar, Solar Farms, Solar Gardens, Community-based Renewable Energy

On the right side of the page about the middle - you will see live production updates that rotate between about 5 locations. The one in Taos, NM is 420 panels @ 235w per panel and went on-line in Aug/Sept. I'm purchasing 12 panels. Kit Carson electric rates are fairly low - about $0.105 per kwh and I don't think they have yet implemented a tiered billing structure.

14. jeffhre

jeffhre Member

The larger the grid the more time variance over it's geography. Helpful to balance temporal issues? (NY needs power for lighting while HI is in full sunlight in the PM, and vice versa in the AM)

15. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Yes it helps. But the cost is significant.

Germany currently discusses to add 3-4 grid lines running north-south to transport wind generated electricity from near the north sea shore to the industrial centers in the south. Power companies an politics try to make rate payers foot the bill, while there is resistance from people doubting the wisdom of this undertaking, and the environmental impact.

As of today, power generation and consumption is balanced within several subgrids across Germany. You can accomodate more renewables by extending distribution, or storage, or both.

IMO distribution only will not work, we need more storage, too.

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

17. clea

clea Member

18. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

1,000,000 houses in Australia got solar systems installed. It is more then 10% of houses out there!

1,000,000 Solar PV Systems Installed In Australia! | CleanTechnica

Small problem thought, because of the way incentives were structured in the past, installed PV systems are relatively small out there, just slightly more then 2.4kW on average. Nevertheless, looks like a great start for residential PV systems. And now Australia is attempting to work out solution to allow/promote bigger solar PV systems.

19. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member