Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar happenings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just heard this. More people are employed by the Solar industry and in Coal.

According to the Solar Energy Industry Association’s 2010 review of national solar employment, there are 100,000 solar jobs spread across all 50 states, more workers than in ... coal mining.

There are more people today employed in natural gas than in coal, more people employed in wind and solar than in coal. Coal used to be a big jobs generator, but this is no longer true.

Read more: http://science.time.com/2012/08/08/...el-bloomberg-and-michael-brune/#ixzz2Da6VJQBi

Looks like it has been that way for years. Job Creation | SolarReserve

Just buying into the first "solar farm" in New Mexico (there are several others in CO). The kwh produced are automatically deducted from my monthly electric bill calculation. If production exceeds usage the remainer rolls over to next month and so on and so on. It is also a 50 year program - the purchase price includes panel replacement some time down the road (but I doubt I will be alive or still own the property at that time). At any time I can sell my ownership on the open market, transfer it to another house in the Kit Carson Co-op service area, or sell it with the house.

It will be interesting to see how it works out compared to my 9+ year old primary residence system.

@Tesla940 - Do you have a fairly direct link for more information? Thanks.

Try this - Kit Carson Cooperative Community Solar: Community Solar, Solar Farms, Solar Gardens, Community-based Renewable Energy

On the right side of the page about the middle - you will see live production updates that rotate between about 5 locations. The one in Taos, NM is 420 panels @ 235w per panel and went on-line in Aug/Sept. I'm purchasing 12 panels. Kit Carson electric rates are fairly low - about $0.105 per kwh and I don't think they have yet implemented a tiered billing structure.

supergrids are good to compensate spatial imbalance of supply & demand.
storage is good to compensate temporal imbalance of supply & demand.

I am convinced that in the long run, we need both as it shows to be the most cost-effective solution.

The larger the grid the more time variance over it's geography. Helpful to balance temporal issues? (NY needs power for lighting while HI is in full sunlight in the PM, and vice versa in the AM)

Yes it helps. But the cost is significant.

Germany currently discusses to add 3-4 grid lines running north-south to transport wind generated electricity from near the north sea shore to the industrial centers in the south. Power companies an politics try to make rate payers foot the bill, while there is resistance from people doubting the wisdom of this undertaking, and the environmental impact.

As of today, power generation and consumption is balanced within several subgrids across Germany. You can accomodate more renewables by extending distribution, or storage, or both.

IMO distribution only will not work, we need more storage, too.

1,000,000 houses in Australia got solar systems installed. It is more then 10% of houses out there!

1,000,000 Solar PV Systems Installed In Australia! | CleanTechnica

Small problem thought, because of the way incentives were structured in the past, installed PV systems are relatively small out there, just slightly more then 2.4kW on average. Nevertheless, looks like a great start for residential PV systems. And now Australia is attempting to work out solution to allow/promote bigger solar PV systems.