Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar happenings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a token measure. The array is tiny given the size of the building and its electrical needs. I'm all for solar, but this is insignificant. They also said it was not made bigger out of security concerns. I don't understand that.

I wasn't expecting more than symbolism. It's purpose is just what you'd expect, to promote solar energy by installing panels at one of the most famous buildings in the world. The headlines will get a conversation going.

I have mixed feelings about the "token solar install" on the one hand it does increase visibility... but maybe not in a good way... the install that really angered me was at Bremerton High School. They have MORE THAN ENOUGH SPACE. Yet they decided to install only 10... IMO that sends the message that it's still too expensive to be viable; that was not true even 3 years ago when they installed these panels. Shortly after this the city hall on Bainbridge Island completely covered their roof... that's how it's done :)
420111028185312001_t607.jpg

Bainbridge%20City%20Hall_5x3.jpg

... the install that really angered me was at Bremerton High School. They have MORE THAN ENOUGH SPACE. Yet they decided to install only 10... IMO that sends the message that it's still too expensive to be viable; that was not true even 3 years ago when they installed these panels. Shortly after this the city hall on Bainbridge Island completely covered their roof... that's how it's done

I'd love to get a group together to cover the roofs at our local schools with solar panels. The roofs are perfect for solar - flat, large, sturdy, easily accessible, with no obstructions. The problem is, I can't figure out how to make the economics work. The schools don't qualify for the federal or state tax breaks because they don't pay taxes. So installing a panel on a school is way more expensive than installing one on a home or business. This is unfortunate of course but a consequence of the convoluted way we subsidize things. Eliminating subsidies for fossil fuels and imposing a carbon tax would be far more effective and efficient way to do things.

Actually, I should add that there is a subsidy for putting up a 1KW system on schools, but I'm inclined to agree that it is pretty pointless to do that, so I haven't pursued it.

Last edited:
It's a token measure. The array is tiny given the size of the building and its electrical needs. I'm all for solar, but this is insignificant. They also said it was not made bigger out of security concerns. I don't understand that.

The roof does need to be navigable by secret service snipers. That wouldn't stop them from having significantly more than they do, but it is a real concern.

I'd love to get a group together to cover the roofs at our local schools with solar panels. The roofs are perfect for solar - flat, large, sturdy, easily accessible, with no obstructions. The problem is, I can't figure out how to make the economics work. The schools don't qualify for the federal or state tax breaks because they don't pay taxes. So installing a panel on a school is way more expensive than installing one on a home or business. This is unfortunate of course but a consequence of the convoluted way we subsidize things. Eliminating subsidies for fossil fuels and imposing a carbon tax would be far more effective and efficient way to do things.

Actually, I should add that there is a subsidy for putting up a 1KW system on schools, but I'm inclined to agree that it is pretty pointless to do that, so I haven't pursued it.
I don't know the actual details of the installs at the schools in my area, but there are many. For example, at a local high school, they installed the panels over the parking lot. I'm pretty sure it is done as a PPA (Power Purchase Agreement). The school does not buy the panels, they just have a contract to buy the electricity produced from it. In CA, the no-money-down PPA contracts are less per kWh than what you would pay the utility. The financing company can take the tax credits. The reasoning for the parking lot install, even though more expensive, is probably to avoid any interference with building maintenance.

I don't know the actual details of the installs at the schools in my area, but there are many. For example, at a local high school, they installed the panels over the parking lot. I'm pretty sure it is done as a PPA (Power Purchase Agreement). The school does not buy the panels, they just have a contract to buy the electricity produced from it. In CA, the no-money-down PPA contracts are less per kWh than what you would pay the utility. The financing company can take the tax credits. The reasoning for the parking lot install, even though more expensive, is probably to avoid any interference with building maintenance.

I've looked a bit on line but haven't been able to find any examples like that Illinois. The school installations I've seen are all small, 1kw, installations. I haven't seen any PPA agreements with schools here either. I'm not sure if that's because the economics don't work here without the tax subsidy (very likely), or if there are other reasons having to do with state regulations.

.......Funny that it took them more than a week to commission my solar install so I could turn it on, but it took them only a couple of hours to come out and install a working meter!
LOL, same thing happened to me. My solar installation got "accidentally" turned on before the Net Metering agreement got processed. At least it offset my daytime usage. I made sure to set the timer in my water heater for daytime and always tried to use my electric cloths dryer during the day.

A good article from CNBC about how Asian utility companies could greatly benefit from solar:

Why Asia’s utilities may welcome solar disruption

In developed markets, increasing solar installations means the power grid sees declining demand for daytime power, dinging the "sweet spot" for selling electricity in competitive markets, Bernstein said in a note Monday. Distribution utilities, which recover the high costs of their infrastructure by volume-based charges, also take a hit as they lose their natural monopoly, the report said.
But within Asia, it's a completely different story, Bernstein said.

"Solar adoption in developing markets improves grid stability, lowers reliance on imported fuel, acts as a hedge against rising energy costs, and improves the environment. It is an unambiguous positive," it said.

You'd be mad too if you were pathologically conservative and the world was changing in such a fundamental way so quickly :wink:

I don't think pathologically conservative is the problem, more like pathological liars. A 6.3kwh array can only power a small TV for 44 mins? I'm sorry but that is pure bullshit. If they really have great arguments against solar power, then why lie? It just drives me nuts.

No it is flat wrong. A 6 KW system would easily power 44 TV all day long not 1 TV for 44 min. I power my house AND car with my 7 KW system. And I think the quoted price was WAY off. At 4x what I paid for mine.
Maybe he was using averages and not a perfectly sunny day??? My installer told me here in Chattanooga we average only 4.86 hours of chargeable time per day. When I clicked the link I did not see ANY price quoted. Are we reading the same article?

No it is flat wrong. A 6 KW system would easily power 44 TV all day long not 1 TV for 44 min. I power my house AND car with my 7 KW system. And I think the quoted price was WAY off. At 4x what I paid for mine.

You forget that companies who supply the government get to do so at extremely high mark-ups. I didn't see any prices on my quick read, but I wouldn't doubt if the federal government paid 4x going price.