Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar installation shutting down in certain markets.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Any info on markets being dropped? Got a random call yesterday from Tesla:

“Hey Eric this is Adam with Teslas project advisor team I was just reaching out to confirm real quick that we do have you set for a partial home backup system as requested we are going to be backing up the right side panel if you have any questions or want to go over any of that information feel free to follow up through your tesla account or by scheduling a call with……”

Hopefully Fort Worth doesn’t get caught up in this.

Reactions: sunwarriors
I wonder if TSLA will outsource warranty/service issues?

I'm renting ~10 panels in AZ so I don't care about service, but I might need them to take down when we sell the house.. Unless they write off the panels ;)

“Hey Eric this is Adam with Teslas project advisor team I was just reaching out to confirm real quick that we do have you set for a partial home backup system as requested we are going to be backing up the right side panel if you have any questions or want to go over any of that information feel free to follow up through your tesla account or by scheduling a call with……”

In the email, Tesla writes that it is no longer servicing the areas where those customers are located. We have received reports from customers in major solar markets including the greater Los Angeles area, Northern California, Oregon, and Florida.

The fact that Tesla wouldn’t be covering those areas would be a significant change of strategy as the company has previously talked about only expanding its solar division.

Electrek also learned that Tesla has laid off a number of employees in its solar scheduling, planning, and design department.

In the email to customers, Tesla refers them to “Tesla Certified Installers”

I wonder how much has to do with fed. tax credits and Elon's love hate relationship w/ Biden admin.

Reactions: diyguy

I think Fred meant "en masse", as I'm pretty sure Tesla didn't cancel things during a church service. ;)

I think theyre trying to save money and I never really believed they were going gangbusters w solar installs. Too much competition. Also the electric companies are working their political stooges hard to get rid of net credits and tacking on service charges.

In the email, Tesla writes that it is no longer servicing the areas where those customers are located. We have received reports from customers in major solar markets including the greater Los Angeles area, Northern California, Oregon, and Florida.

The fact that Tesla wouldn’t be covering those areas would be a significant change of strategy as the company has previously talked about only expanding its solar division.

Electrek also learned that Tesla has laid off a number of employees in its solar scheduling, planning, and design department.

In the email to customers, Tesla refers them to “Tesla Certified Installers”

I wonder how much has to do with fed. tax credits and Elon's love hate relationship w/ Biden admin.
He should be loving Biden. He lifted to 200000 car limit and instead of 24% fed tax credit you get 30% starting Jan 1, 2023. Read the article where he says he may have to take Twitter into bankruptcy. He's spending all HIS stock keeping it propped up,mainly because he's scared away all the advertising by changing his mind every 10 minutes what he's going to do.

Concerning if Tesla lays off many of their support/install/general folks and scales down the business. Do folks with Tesla solar installs call Tesla directly when there is a problem? Do they forward it to a component company that they are using?

I ask because real world example, I had a recent communication issue within my system. I called my installer, but they said they'll look into it within 5 days. I decided to call Enphase directly and worked with someone on the phone and got it back online within an hour or two. To me, it seems like working with the one who makes the stuff sounds the best since that's all they deal with. He didn't even have to route me to someone more "knowledgeable".

Tesla solar probably supports their solar roof since they own that, but if you have other pieces from another manufacturer, seems like it'll just go back and forth blame/game. Sorta like getting support from Best Buy, but they need to call LG to fix your TV.

Maybe it's not so bad, but similar to Twitter losing staff probably hand over fist now, when people are quitting/laid off, they simply don't care about your solar problems because they have their own bigger problems.

This is what happens when your CEO gets distracted by shiny objects. Shiny, blue, bird-shaped objects.
It's worse than that. I needed to repair by LG UHD OLED TV. I know what the part was. Called their "parts supplier" company and they refused to sell it to me. Said take it into the shop. I said I could get almost good if not better TV for less than repair shop cost. I found a TV parts supplier on Google,found the part, called them up and we discussed TV model, etc and said yup that's it. $99 including shipping and I fixed it myself. Shorter story, who knows where a company gets their parts and if they can fix them

😃 Hooray! Extra 4 percent off my tax bill and I can legally charge from grid.

Hot off the press:
Hi Eric, we're confirming your Tesla Energy installation is Scheduled for Monday February 6, 2023 with an arrival window of 07:00AM - 09:00AM. We sent an email that outlines what to expect. For more details or questions, learn more in your Tesla Account. tesla.com/teslaaccount

Reply STOP to End.

I will be surprised if Tesla doesn't offer new powerwall features when the Cybertruck is released. I expect the residential side of Tesla Energy will see some changes beyond stopping installs in some markets.

It was always dumb for Tesla to do residential installs. They only do it to pretend that the Solarcity acquisition was not a CYA for Musk's family and investor buddies.

Since Elon moved headquarters from California it’s been like watching Palpantine reveal his true Sith nature and appearance. I’d say the insignia ‘T’ stands for ‘Texas’ now.
Last I heard you could only get new PW in conjunction with installation of Tesla PV. I wonder if that will continue under “certified installers”?

Reactions: vickh