TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Solar panels hampering firefighting efforts

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by gvillager, Sep 3, 2013.

1. gvillager

gvillager Member

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Solar-Panels-Growing-Hazard-for-Firefighters-222085811.html

This is something I never considered. Any thoughts on how we can prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future?

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

AFAIK, the panels are set up with a way to sever/disconnect strings of panels to de-energize them. I assume that emergency responders have training on this. I know that my system has special red labels on key conduits and disconnects.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

A fire detection system that shuts down the solar panels. Also, it's possible that the firefighters didn't have the training required.

4. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

My house has a huge shut off switch on the outside, just for this kind of thing.

Surprised that there wasn't one or maybe the fire fighters didn't see it.

5. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

6. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Even if you cut the power from the ground if you are not using micro inverters at the panels there is still a lot of power up there. Most of these big installs have string inverters and I assume that is what this building had. If that was the case then the roof would have been live.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

This is a huge issue not only for firefighters but for utility personnel as well. The "anti-islanding" systems can fail, and as has been previously mentioned, a disconnect at ground level does nothing for the power being generated "upstream" of that switch (i.e. on the roof).

There are blankets and black sprays that can be applied to the solar panels to block the sun's rays.