Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back to the thread title. Are panels worth it?
OH YES!
I generated 41.6 kWh today. That’s the earliest in the year i’ve generated that much since the panels were installed in 2015.
I consumed all but 400Wh. Charged both cars and Powerwalls, heated the hot water, washed and tumble dried, drum clean on the washing machine, pyroclastic clean on the oven and ran the house.
good result 😁
Oh @Dilly, the most I've generated this year with my 4kW panels and 3.68lW inverter is just 20kWh on one day. but my extra 1.5kW comes on stream within a week as will one PW. I'm chomping at the bit to see if my energy planning is accurate as I'm expecting to use minimal peak power from April to September and when I get my second PW, none between March and October.

Reactions: Dilly
OH YES!
I generated 41.6 kWh today. That’s the earliest in the year i’ve generated that much since the panels were installed in 2015.
I consumed all but 400Wh. Charged both cars and Powerwalls, heated the hot water, washed and tumble dried, drum clean on the washing machine, pyroclastic clean on the oven and ran the house.
good result 😁
Just managed 38 kWh today...it clouded over at about 3pm. Nevertheless a record for this time of year! Just managed 10kWh export too!

Oh @Dilly, the most I've generated this year with my 4kW panels and 3.68lW inverter is just 20kWh on one day. but my extra 1.5kW comes on stream within a week as will one PW. I'm chomping at the bit to see if my energy planning is accurate as I'm expecting to use minimal peak power from April to September and when I get my second PW, none between March and October.
In Leicestershire, 4Kw system (3.8 inverter) - not quite true south facing more SSE and the best I've recorded in generation for a single day was 33Kwhrs since install in November 2018. Typically a summers day nudges around 28 to 31Kwhrs and my 3 x 4.5Kwhr batteries are fully charged by noon - which then will power the house for about 24hrs. Yesterday i produced 19.6kwhrs and today at 1208hrs I've produced 10.4kwhrs and batteries are 98%.

Reactions: browellm and Dilly
Has anyone had a quote/install from DeegeSolar?
Looking at their website they have prices available for average systems.
Solar PV Systems | Solar Panels & Battery Storage | Deege Solar (I assume I am ok linking to their website?)
I was thinking about going with the 5.6kW Solar PV System

Or are there any other installers that are worth looking into?

Cheers
I had a quote from them, they were initially very good with service and speaking on phone etc.

I wanted a Givenergy battery, despite offering them on website, they said they couldn't get hold of any and so steered me to a Growatt system above anything else.

But could never get my questions answered as to user interface of the Growatt solution, or even get an instruction manual, and they seem to be a low end Chinese make, so gave it all a miss in the end.

Now looking at a system with a powerwall, perhaps, from another supplier.

Has anyone had a quote/install from DeegeSolar?
Looking at their website they have prices available for average systems.
Solar PV Systems | Solar Panels & Battery Storage | Deege Solar (I assume I am ok linking to their website?)
I was thinking about going with the 5.6kW Solar PV System

Or are there any other installers that are worth looking into?

Cheers
Unless you’ve had a site survey how do you know you have enough roof capacity to take a 14 panel PV system.
They can do an initial assessment remotely using Google earth but a site survey is needed to confirm the installation is possible within the price advertised.

OH YES!
good result 😁

A lot depends on the size of array and location. Even at peak generation in summer I couldn’t get enough to cover a big spike in load like an oven clean let alone spare for other things. Best case I’d cover base load and trickle some spare into a battery if I had one

In Leicestershire, 4Kw system (3.8 inverter) - not quite true south facing more SSE and the best I've recorded in generation for a single day was 33Kwhrs since install in November 2018. Typically a summers day nudges around 28 to 31Kwhrs and my 3 x 4.5Kwhr batteries are fully charged by noon - which then will power the house for about 24hrs. Yesterday i produced 19.6kwhrs and today at 1208hrs I've produced 10.4kwhrs and batteries are 98%.
I do very similar numbers to this, just wish I had as much battery as you as we are fairly high consumers.

hmm looking at my last few days I'm generating around 10kwh which is small (my panels are old and small and I don't own them so I'm a bit stuck) but thats close to my daily usage and so if I can smartly capture it so none gets exported I'd only need to top up from the grid off-peak a little.

No idea how I model what size and output capacity of battery would help - assume I need to model my PV as well as my usage - myenergi should be capturing some of that but I need to start archiving it better for analysis somehow

hmm looking at my last few days I'm generating around 10kwh which is small (my panels are old and small and I don't own them so I'm a bit stuck) but thats close to my daily usage and so if I can smartly capture it so none gets exported I'd only need to top up from the grid off-peak a little.

No idea how I model what size and output capacity of battery would help - assume I need to model my PV as well as my usage - myenergi should be capturing some of that but I need to start archiving it better for analysis somehow
I set up a spreadsheet back in 2015 to monitor generation. I was only going to use it for a year but kept it going. I take a generation reading every night and a grid meter reading every morning. I also now record off peak use every day from the Octopus account.
i found that one Powerwall would not quite cope with a full 24 hours so added another. Two more than cope as a rule, getting close to my 30% level only once this winter.
I’ve maxed out roofspace for PV. With peak rates climbing it was good call that I didn’t envisage. With an excess of PV and storage, my peak rate grid draw was limited to just under 70kWh last year the other 2130kwh were all cheap rate. Some went into the cars but most went to the Powerwalls for daytime use.

Reactions: Mrklaw
A lot depends on the size of array and location. Even at peak generation in summer I couldn’t get enough to cover a big spike in load like an oven clean let alone spare for other things. Best case I’d cover base load and trickle some spare into a battery if I had one
While peak daily outputs are interesting, here are my annual outputs by year in kWh from a 4kW array on the South Coast. 2020 was my best year; I've never generated over 30kWh in a day.

1646842386229.png

Reactions: Mrklaw
Never thought about the annual generation but just checked my app, Was installed Nov 2018 and for the first three months what i generated was added to my bill - electrician had stuffed up and wired up the tails wrongly.
However below are the years i have

2019 - 4580Kwhrs
2020 - 4440Kwhrs
2021 - 4120Kwhrs

Never thought about the annual generation but just checked my app, Was installed Nov 2018 and for the first three months what i generated was added to my bill - electrician had stuffed up and wired up the tails wrongly.
However below are the years i have

2019 - 4580Kwhrs
2020 - 4440Kwhrs
2021 - 4120Kwhrs
And that's off a 4kW system, I'm impressed

Would you be kind enough to share the details of the accredited suppliers for the Powerwall & Solar install, or point me in the right direction to find them? I'm also in the North West.

Cheers
I have used that liste: Find a Tesla Certified Installer | Tesla but it is better to call them to get the quotes on their web site, Egg was very very expensive, they quote me £18.5k for 12 panels and 1 powerwall and the best for the moment is duckworth-electrical.co.uk for 15 panels and1 powerwall with £15.5k, I have one other quote for 12 panel + 1 powerwall for £15.5k. So far I have found Duckworth very professionel and alway answer aal my question in the next 24hr, the quote was a sort of very detail with the cost of the material, the labour, Installation and commision etc... I will send you by PM the contact detail

Reactions: KGrue