Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ask them for a 3 Phase Upgrade, free of charge.

I did... they agreed.

BUT, you MUST ask them.

They will upgrade to 3 Phase cabling, and a 3 Phase cutout, but only connect one phase to your meter. You can then decide what to do later.

Don't upgrade to a Smart Meter until after the work is complete, preferably...
3 phase upgrade is chargeable, so that ain't happening.
The contractor are allowed to move the meter.

3 phase upgrade is chargeable, so that ain't happening.
The contractor are allowed to move the meter.

They've got to dig up the road anyway!! ... it's only the cable and cutout that changes.

Who is your DNO? Which County are you in?

We were with Western Power Distribution (West Midlands) when they agreed our 3 Phase upgrade for free.

I was under the impression this was going to be an ongoing strategy...

Maybe they've changed their minds, which would be very unfortunate...

Last edited:
interesting - do they just sit loosely in front or do you stick them to the wall somehow? And how have you found the temps?
That are "slotted" on (so slits where the back brackets onto the wall are + spaces cut out for any cabling) - I do have the one at the very end (not in the photo) 'reinforced' with a few stripes of ducttape to the battery itself as it can catch a strong updraft).

As for temps - in winter they did appear to be 1-2C warmer (not much i'll admit vs being enclosed away from the elements) but it did at least bring charging them up a bit quicker during the off-peak windows.

At the end of the day, if you "can" have the batteries indoors, or at the very least in a shed-like setup where they arent exposed, then "do!"
Wasn't something I have much of an option with (even in hindsight) - the north wall was my only canvas - but its always good to keep in mind!

They've got to dig up the road anyway!! ... it's only the cable and cutout that changes.

Who is your DNO? Which County are you in?

We were with Western Power Distribution (West Midlands) when they agreed our 3 Phase upgrade for free.

I was under the impression this was going to be an ongoing strategy...

Maybe they've changed their minds, which would be very unfortunate...
I know they are going to dig the road up...the two paths and take up my block paving.
However, they have told me what they have and so be it.
If they wanted to get a few quid out of me, so be it but nope.

Reactions: PITA
so how does that work - you put a limiter on the inverters or you just carefully spec the inverters to be below that? seems a very specific number. Assume you have a design spec already
Well, the application was put in by my installer for the system I ordered.
I only saw it when I received the approval email from the DNO today !

- But obviously I did know what the equipment I ordered was and that’s what they applied for.
I just didn’t know exactly what they put on the application form, or that the inverters max output was 5.06kW. Assumed it was 5.0kW (as in the name of the product) !

Application was for 2x GivEnergy Hybrid 5.0 Gen 2 inverters and “battery storage”. G99 I presume, although it doesn’t say that anywhere!

Spec stated on the application was that the max output of those inverters is 5.06kW each. Hence the 10.12kW export approval number I presume.

I suppose you/ your installer just submits what you’re proposing to install, the DNO does a study (or not) and comes back with a “yes, “X” is approved.” Or no, it’s not. Or maybe “X” not approved, max allowed is “Y”.

the next interesting quest is finding a good SEG (although probably won’t export that much). I see Scottish power is now offering 12p/ kW for non customers and 15p/ kW for SP customers - but they state a max of 5mW. But doesn’t state 5mW of what/ when. Max export per year I’m guessing? 🤷🏼‍♂️ Anyone on that SEG? What’s the deal?

Reactions: Skie and Mrklaw
I’m not quite sure exactly the issue you’re describing there. Can you elaborate?

I don’t think they do talk to each other right now.

Something to do with cross charging?
I think there is a device coming out in the future regarding fixing that.
In the meantime I think they will basically act as two separate systems for now.

I’ve asked about upgrading to the Gen3’s and I’m waiting to hear back on that. And I’m not sure if they function any differently right now either.

yeah - assume each will only be able to use the solar directly connected to charge the batteries, but once any excess is going out to the grid, both inverters will see that excess and may draw from the grid to ‘balance’ but take too much. Or one might discharge to meet a house demand which often includes some overshoot going out to the grid - which the other inverter might see and start taking it and starting to steal from the other.

I’m not sure exactly how they’ll function together to be honest. I’ll find out I guess.
I know it’s not ideal at the moment and some always escapes to the grid or gets drawn from it momentarily due to changing loads but they all do that to some extent don’t they?

If one battery is lower than the other and ends up discharging into the other one to balance the pairs then that’s ok by me, as long as they aren’t going backwards and forwards all day long unnecessarily. I’ll do a bit of reading up to see what the latest firmware/software status is.

I know there is a hardware fix item in the pipeline to manage this but when it’ll be released I don’t know.

Reactions: Mrklaw
the next interesting quest is finding a good SEG (although probably won’t export that much). I see Scottish power is now offering 12p/ kW for non customers and 15p/ kW for SP customers - but they state a max of 5mW. But doesn’t state 5mW of what/ when. Max export per year I’m guessing? 🤷🏼‍♂️ Anyone on that SEG? What’s the deal?

There are two problems with using Scottish power.... 1) They're utterly useless, and will take an eternity to get signed up, and to pay you, or deal with any problems. 2) You need to provide a line diagram of your setup showing how there is no possible way your batteries can export.

Me, I'd see how it pans out, and if you export lots of solar, look at Octopus Flux, or if not, just stick with Octopuses 4.1p. It's not much, but if you're not routinely exporting lots, it doesn't overly matter.

Reactions: Pete UK
yay!
got my G99 approved today as well!

giphy.gif

There are two problems with using Scottish power.... 1) They're utterly useless, and will take an eternity to get signed up, and to pay you, or deal with any problems. 2) You need to provide a line diagram of your setup showing how there is no possible way your batteries can export.

Me, I'd see how it pans out, and if you export lots of solar, look at Octopus Flux, or if not, just stick with Octopuses 4.1p. It's not much, but if you're not routinely exporting lots, it doesn't overly matter.
Good point. I think 2) would be impossible for most people - most systems are designed for the batteries to be able to discharge to the grid.
And they only pay you every 6 months, as well. I’m unlikely to be exporting very much. Except maybe a bit during a few months in the summer.

I see a lot of people talking about flux. For me I don’t think it would get anywhere near the savings I’d make with Intelligent Octopus. Am I missing something?

Reactions: phil4
Good point. I think 2) would be impossible for most people - most systems are designed for the batteries to be able to discharge to the grid.
And they only pay you every 6 months, as well. I’m unlikely to be exporting very much. Except maybe a bit during a few months in the summer.

I see a lot of people talking about flux. For me I don’t think it would get anywhere near the savings I’d make with Intelligent Octopus. Am I missing something?

what does ‘export’ even mean? its inevitable you’ll get some over/under as the inverter tries to balance load vs generation so some overshoot from the battery to the grid is surely expected - but you’d be way way under any PV export limits, more like <100w for 10s or so. Technically thats still export but practically it wouldn’t impact max export to the grid as that’d be based on the PV generation and PV inverter

In the summer Flux is much better value for money than IO or Go. Mine's bringing in ~£10/day from a 4.7kWh array, while still charging the car. Only annoying thing is that it takes 3 days to fill the car from empty if you don't want to use solar, but that's not a big deal for most people.

Will change back to Intelligent Octopus in September.

In the summer Flux is much better value for money than IO or Go. Mine's bringing in ~£10/day from a 4.7kWh array, while still charging the car. Only annoying thing is that it takes 3 days to fill the car from empty if you don't want to use solar, but that's not a big deal for most people.

Will change back to Intelligent Octopus in September.
So it’s good in summer, not so much the rest of the time. Gotcha. 👍🏻
I think I’ll be able to meet all the home and car needs in the summer with hardly any export, so IO fits my needs better.
Time will tell.