Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar planning considerations - Solar Roof, new roof+solar, Tesla or ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to get solar - hopefully this year. Started a Solar Roof project, got the design, but I have a custom house with integrated (my word) redwood gutters lined with copper, and copper downspouts, which I cannot remove. After a few back and forths with the advisor, I was told that it could be done but at a significant additional cost of removing and redoing the gutters. I think this is too much of a risk to the aesthetics of the house (and they haven't been here to confirm it can be rebuilt right), but you can see the roof/gutter edge in the picture below. In addition, the original estimate went up by about 10k for 'roof repairs', which was later explained as tearing off the old roof. How is that not already part of an integrated solar install?!! But I digress.

Nevertheless, I still like the idea. Seeing the picture below, I'm interested in opinions on solar roof for my case. Alternatively, I'm getting roofing quotes and trying to decide between conventional solar providers. Do I need to coordinate between these two? Any major difference in panel quality/efficiency? Appreciate the responses (and sorry for scattered questions).

F2A5328D-CE18-46C5-B7E8-43EC5AD97349_1_105_c.jpeg

Thanks for your inputs. I'm probably out of luck with any claim, seeing the time that has passed and lack of paperwork.

Thanks for the kind words. I did like the idea of a clean black roof, hence kept trying to find a solution, but decided against it due to cost and risk of bad outcomes.

Will do. Anyone else who has experience with Bay area installers who can do the roof and solar I'd appreciate references.

Thanks for your input, our shingles are chipping off like little bits of cement regularly as well. If the cost worked out the way you mention, it would be had to pass up, you're lucky! For me the estimate was already pretty high, then they added 10k for ripping the old roof out, and the gutters .... would need to be sawed off, and somehow patched together again at the end, for significant additional cost. Too bad for us.
I think we got lucky with our roof install, as it was just before the spring 2021 price hike. Powerwalls and a 10kw solar roof install was 57K. I think we were just lucky. The system is a dream. The roof looks amazing. And...no more asphalt shingle *dust* in our down spouts.
So from what you are saying then, our total cost, which includes roof repair is deductable?
Correct, ripping off the old roof, repair or replacement plywood that they couldn't get the old underlayment off of, entire new underlayment. All the hardware to mount all the panels, the inverters, the dead and live panels, and the power walls. Including the 1K tax we paid. It is considered a system, so the entire thing is deductable.

Reactions: jboy210 and UCF3
Upvote 0
Our installer was Sunrun, they subsidized $4k of the $8k cost. They did do what you said, checked the decking, new vents, new flashing, etc.. a very thorough job. Plus, it wasn't an outside contractor. It was one of their own roofing employees.
Sounds great.

We had a mix of Tesla employees and subcontractors on our roof. They seemed to work well together, but it was obvious the Tesla lead was in charge.

Upvote 0
Sorry a bit off-topic, but as an Insurance agent I'm a bit concerned about the trees in your photo. If you are anywhere is CA eventually you will probably get a notice from your Homeowners company that you need to drastically trim or cut down your trees due to fire hazard.
Just sayin...

Upvote 0
Sorry a bit off-topic, but as an Insurance agent I'm a bit concerned about the trees in your photo. If you are anywhere is CA eventually you will probably get a notice from your Homeowners company that you need to drastically trim or cut down your trees due to fire hazard.
Just sayin...
Care to elaborate on what defines reasonable clearance per your experience?

All the best,

BG

Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
Care to elaborate on what defines reasonable clearance per your experience?

All the best,

BG
Well, the companies usually want trees trimmed back 5-10 ft from the house. There are different requirements and it does depend on the fire hazard rating in your area. Most companies don't go out and inspect all that often, but if you get a new policy in CA they will go by and inspect outside. I've had clients pretty upset because they had to budget in tree trimming or be non-renewed, but it's better than a fire!

Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0