Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar & Powerwall without DNO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope some people can help me.

Ive had a company in Essex fit a 6kw solar array, tesla powerwall 2 and gateway onto my house.

I've had all the pack come through, mcs certs etc but no DNO auth.

I've been chasing them since May for the dno but they're saying it can take months and they're chasing UK Power Networks. After reading about it looks like with this kind of install this should have been done prior before install?

Any help on where I stand and any issues that will arise would be appreciated.

I'm worried the installer are not being fully truthfull with me.

It depends on how much you're exporting. If it's capped at something like 3.6kW, then you just need to notify the DNO after install.

If you're exporting (or able to export), 6kW as per your solar array, then you should have had a G99 approval from the DNO before anything was fitted.

The DNO can take a long time to respond, but that's with the G99 approval, not the notification. There is a possibility the DNO may come back and either reject or insist on a cap for your export. Or any other manner of restrictions etc.

Good luck.

Have you contacted the DNO?
I have not, the company installing was taking charge of everything from order to install.

The DNO have a duty to respond to such requests within 11 weeks - when I did this a few years ago it was a bit under, but yeah it's not quick.
OK, my installer claim to have submitted DNO request on 26th may. Should I just sit tight for a while ?

Im just dissapointed as I wanted to switch to the Tesla Energy plan @ 11p in/out but now its gone up to 22/22 with a much higher daily standing :(

If you're exporting (or able to export), 6kW as per your solar array, then you should have had a G99 approval from the DNO before anything was fitted.
I guess I peak around 5kw coming in, so capping export to 3.6 isnt the end of the world.

No G99 was done, I had no idea how any of the process worked so assumed the installer would be taking charge of all this. :(

Hope some people can help me.

Ive had a company in Essex fit a 6kw solar array, tesla powerwall 2 and gateway onto my house.

I've had all the pack come through, mcs certs etc but no DNO auth.

I've been chasing them since May for the dno but they're saying it can take months and they're chasing UK Power Networks. After reading about it looks like with this kind of install this should have been done prior before install?

Any help on where I stand and any issues that will arise would be appreciated.

I'm worried the installer are not being fully truthfull with me.
I too am in a similar situation just had completed installation of solar and Powerwall.
Octopus stated that they require:
MCS certificate details.
Confirmation letter or email from your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) that they have been notified of your installation.
(Your Distribution Network Operator has to be informed and agree to a microgeneration system (including battery storage) being connected - usually your MCS registered installer will have done this through a G59, G83, G98 or G99. Your DNO should then have sent back a letter or email to confirm they received and processed the notification form).

Your installer is responsible for this process, but you could chase progress by contacting the DNO.
I think installers are so overloaded that paperwork gets pushed back.
I’m hopeful that I will get completion in a week or two.

My two Powerwalls are coded not to export any to the Grid; in any case, I'd consider myself to be a failure if I export much to the grid. Last month I gave them 6kWh; this will be much less in future.

My G99 approval also states that... PW can't export to the Grid.

Reading between the line's its something to do with battery power not being considered green (after all, could have been charged from dirty mains), so the network doesn't want it.

How can the DNO know the source of the export? Apart from being not daylight hours.
I’m on Octopus Go Faster at present as I’m still on the low rate tariff until May, but was planning going onto TEP afterwards.
Will that involve another application to DNO?

From what I understand the Tesla Powerwalls only export during the day, potentially in addition to your Solar