Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roadways - Working prototype and pictures!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last two points were simple efficiency arguments that I don't think need to be defended and should be obvious to most.

The road surface thing, well it's worth experimentation. But looking at the tempered glass they've shown, it does not seem to be a surface I'd want to drive or bike on.

In aggregate, I don't think this solar roadways idea is worth spending resources on.

My last two points were simple efficiency arguments that I don't think need to be defended and should be obvious to most.

The road surface thing, well it's worth experimentation. But looking at the tempered glass they've shown, it does not seem to be a surface I'd want to drive or bike on.

In aggregate, I don't think this solar roadways idea is worth spending resources on.

They have said they have a less roughed up road which would be used for speeds up to 40MPH, which would be the intended designs for sidewalks, bike paths, and parking lots. The ones you see would be intended for speeds up to 80MPH. They have also said that the design can be tweaked as needed should those concerns about comfort and such end up being an issue, but they haven't been able to get a big enough test area to yet drive over it at highway speeds to even see what it does.

Regarding the solar points, I think that is why they were suggesting a target cost point of 10k per 12x12 space since that is what they have said is the cost comparable to normal roads. If you can design something that is at price of current roads and does all these other things, then there would be no reason not to switch, and I think that is what they are setting out to prove. At that point, you would be allocating the same amount of funds for new roads and getting something else in return. In this case, solar power. I don't think anyone would be opposed to placing solar on roofs and such as well... they are just attempting to sneak in solar into something that is already being budgeted as it were. If I want to put solar on my roof, I have to spend money specifically for that, and that is all I get in return for the cost. If however I need to repave my driveway and I had the choice between two things which both cost the same amount of money as it is, and one gives me power generation which would I choose? (The cost model remains to be proven, which is my hesitation on this, so we will both find out I suppose)

And melting snow has been something that has been toyed around with for a while as well, which is why I linked the writeup I did on the subject, because it seems to me like the problem with that is people have been going about it in the wrong way, and their design has the potential to be executed in the most efficient way possible.

FWIW, the plant kingdom has been in the business of sunshine-to-energy for a very long time and has tried a lot of variations. It's probably worth noting that the vast majority of perennial plants do not use their "transportation infrastructure" (=stems/trunks) to photosynthesize. This isn't to say that such attempts by humans are necessarily foolhardy, but I find it interesting which way natural selection moved.

FWIW, the plant kingdom has been in the business of sunshine-to-energy for a very long time and has tried a lot of variations. It's probably worth noting that the vast majority of perennial plants do not use their "transportation infrastructure" (=stems/trunks) to photosynthesize. This isn't to say that such attempts by humans are necessarily foolhardy, but I find it interesting which way natural selection moved.

Birds have been flying for a long time too, and yet human attempts to fly with flapping wings were not very successful. Fixed wing aircraft with engines have worked much better for us.

Wait a minute, I got this other great idea from reading this thread. What about solar roofs?!? I mean that would be great, right? We need the roofs anyway, they are already flat structures, often large surfaces, many of them facing the sun not at a 90 degree angle but more like 45 (most people don't live on the equator). Could I be on to something?

Very ironic that folks who regulatory fight off negative opinions/attacks of their choice of vehicle propulsion are here doing the same to others.

Let them try it and see what happens

I get what you're saying here, but simply put, not all ideas are equal.

I used to think hydrogen fuel cell vehicles were a good idea, but then I sat down and did the math. Turns out it's not worth the cost given the existence of much better alternatives. Given finite resources, I wouldn't waste them on HFCVs for personal transportation.

The cylindrical solar cells from Solyndra seemed kinda interesting an innovative, then I sat down and did the math.

This solar roadway thing doesn't even feel worth getting out a pencil. I don't need to do any calculations to know that it's much better to put those solar panels on a roof angled towards the sun, without a car on top of it.

I don't think this project has any hope of success because the people behind it seems to be confused about what they want to achieve. They are throwing all ideas at it with the hope that something will stick. They seem to be trying to come up with as many ideas as possible for different applications to impress naive people.

I don't understand their connection with yert.com but that website looks weird. If they want to present a business case, these kind associations don't help.

What I would like to see is a dummy version without the electronics and energy generation but just the surface material to prove that it is good enough to be used on actual roads. There are so many problems with it. They haven't even proven that the material is durable on an actual road and will last many years. It should also be safe for people to walk and bicycles to ride on, even in different weather conditions.
This project doesn't look credible.

Last edited:
Regarding the panel costs, the 10k was merely saying what their "break even" would have to be if they wanted to be cost competitive with asphalt.
From the link a few posts above this one, their statement was:
Years ago, when we were working on our very first prototype, we estimated that if we could make our 12' x 12' panels for under $10K, then we could break even with asphalt. That was mere speculation and had no relevance to the cost of even our first prototype, let alone our second.
I assumed the "It was mere speculation" was refering to "10k per 12' by 12' will break even with asphalt", not about how much the prototype would cost. This interpretation might be faulty, though. At any rate, I don't believe they're factoring in the actual laying down of the road and are just going from the panel cost. But again, I could be mistaken here.

My gripes with the whole system could probably be summarized as:
- "under the road" seems like a worse place to put solar panels than "above the road"
- using glass and a lot of tech instead of an industrial waste product to build roads does not strike me as cheaper because...
- ...the argument of "lower maintenance cost" when we use high-tech tiles instead of asphalt to build roads seems like wishful thinking

Obviously, before this is done in a big way, it needs to be tested for feasibility, and to be fair there is (hopefully) little harm done in taking a section of road that has to be renewed anyway and plastering it with these devices. Then, in a few years, we should be able to see whether they are actually cheaper to operate than regular roadways. If they are that's great, and we should build more! But until the entire roadsystem is replaced, it's gonna be a while.
At the same time, one has to explore options like putting a solar roof above a similar road and checking what that does for longevity and energy harvest. My parents have solar panels on their Carport, and while open to all sides it does a good job in reducing the impact of weather on the vehicles parked underneath.

Wait a minute, I got this other great idea from reading this thread. What about solar roofs?!? I mean that would be great, right? We need the roofs anyway, they are already flat structures, often large surfaces, many of them facing the sun not at a 90 degree angle but more like 45 (most people don't live on the equator). Could I be on to something?

LOL :biggrin: You are definitely onto something...
Of course, it makes a lot more sense to put solar panels on roofs. Many of us have already done that -- I covered my roof 3 years ago. It is a much higher priority to put them on roofs as the majority of roofs are still bare. But that does not mean we cannot explore further possibilities.

The solar roadway idea needs a lot more testing (including actual vehicles driving / accelerating / braking on them in various weather conditions) and a detailed cost / benefit analysis before we can accept it as a viable solution. I just don't think the idea should be outright dismissed without further testing and analysis.

Last edited:
Up to 80mph might be a problem. People do speed and emergency vehicles sometimes go faster in emergencies.

My understanding is the federal government mandates specific requirements for road surfaces at those two speeds only. They are only requiring that when the roads are wet you must be able to maintain a certain level of traction to be able to stop going 80MPH within a certain distance. Sorta like how the NHTSA only requires that you do your front end collision tests at 30MPH... Obviously people get in accidents going much faster, but that is the minimum requirements.

From the link a few posts above this one, their statement was:

I assumed the "It was mere speculation" was refering to "10k per 12' by 12' will break even with asphalt", not about how much the prototype would cost. This interpretation might be faulty, though. At any rate, I don't believe they're factoring in the actual laying down of the road and are just going from the panel cost. But again, I could be mistaken here.

My gripes with the whole system could probably be summarized as:
- "under the road" seems like a worse place to put solar panels than "above the road"
- using glass and a lot of tech instead of an industrial waste product to build roads does not strike me as cheaper because...
- ...the argument of "lower maintenance cost" when we use high-tech tiles instead of asphalt to build roads seems like wishful thinking

Obviously, before this is done in a big way, it needs to be tested for feasibility, and to be fair there is (hopefully) little harm done in taking a section of road that has to be renewed anyway and plastering it with these devices. Then, in a few years, we should be able to see whether they are actually cheaper to operate than regular roadways. If they are that's great, and we should build more! But until the entire roadsystem is replaced, it's gonna be a while.
At the same time, one has to explore options like putting a solar roof above a similar road and checking what that does for longevity and energy harvest. My parents have solar panels on their Carport, and while open to all sides it does a good job in reducing the impact of weather on the vehicles parked underneath.

You may be right and I could be misreading it, but in any case, they have no clue how much it is going to actually cost to do this, so any price at this point is worthless and just a wild guess. I think what they were trying to get at, it hasn't been yet determined what the cost is to determine if it is cost effective or not. Which is why I agree that it would be worth scaling up enough to discover how cost effective it can be, and determine if this is something that can be done and something worth doing. My opinion is, you don't know until you try. I will be the first to call them out on their **** if something seems like it is off base and worthless, but as of right now I think it is really too early to complain.

Look at smart phones, for many years, you had a computer, a GPS, a phone, all these things that were separate, and then they tried to combine all these neat things into one product. It actually took many attempts before someone made it work correctly in a cost effective manner, in a nice presentable form factor, and as a marketable product. I look at this in the same way. And no, not everyone thought smart phones were a great idea... heck I still know people who think that smart phones are terrible and they would rather have all those separate products, rather than one product that is able to do everything, but master of nothing...

As I have said before, at this point, they already have their money, they even already have a couple customers lined up, let them go ahead and give it a go, and we will see what happens. If it turns out to be worthless, at least we know, and it was at least money that was better spent than some of the other crazy things people spend money on.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and re-solar carport, that works for parking lots and driveways, but would be impractical on the roads themselves. However, there is a pretty huge cost associated with that too since you have to build a structure that goes up over the air, able to withstand all the weather like wind and snow, and don't forget that you need to get someone up there to knock the snow off or else it won't be producing anything for you. And then, don't forget that you are still double paying since you have to still build the parking lot underneath... so for total cost comparison you would want the cost of the lot itself, and then the cost of the structure over top and the cost of the solar panels. If that ends up being cheaper than putting it in the roads, by all means, lets go forward with that.

HVM, I'm not sure what you mean by "yet again". I watched the video and I think it is great. I'm impressed. I agree completely with everything in the video. When even other environmentalists are calling this project BS, it becomes obvious that the people behind it have not shown anything to prove otherwise.

haha, not sure if it had it when you saw it, but there was a little tag to "skip to the whiteboard". Went 9:47 into the video.. I shudder to think of the rambling that happened before that point.

yeah, he actually had some pretty compelling numbers that all seemed plausible based on what I know about the whole thing. I too find myself, like the author, asking them for more data, more numbers... because they should already have enough data to be able to present how much the solar output of their panels are even if they are only 50% covered or whatever it is right now. They have a page dealing with numbers, but they just don't give the numbers most people are actually looking for.