Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% out of the blue, just happened to see a Tesla van in front of my house...
I got a voicemail from Tesla this afternoon saying that they have removed me from their schedule bc I didn't sign the new agreement. I just logged into my account, and sure enough I am no longer scheduled for installation on 5/17. There's no installation date listed.

Reactions: VaNick
Just a followup to earlier posts, my install started the Monday after the increases but they have kept to the original pricing. Roof is done ( a few minor cosmetic things they will fix tomorrow). The two powerwall install still not set but a week or two, I'm told. I'm hearing two conflicting stories that the Battery and Solar Roof divisions have been consolidated to one or not (Corporate is clearly reeling from shakeup and lower peeps don't know what's going on). All installs in the future will have Powerwalls (that's their margin imo).

Just a followup to earlier posts, my install started the Monday after the increases but they have kept to the original pricing. Roof is done ( a few minor cosmetic things they will fix tomorrow). The two powerwall install still not set but a week or two, I'm told. I'm hearing two conflicting stories that the Battery and Solar Roof divisions have been consolidated to one or not (Corporate is clearly reeling from shakeup and lower peeps don't know what's going on). All installs in the future will have Powerwalls (that's their margin imo).
Glad to hear it got done for you.
Not seeing required powerwalls on the online order page for new orders yet. I still think that’s a losing strategy for them but I suppose we’ll see. Maybe they are doing it purposefully for now to reduce orders who knows.

I got a voicemail from Tesla this afternoon saying that they have removed me from their schedule bc I didn't sign the new agreement. I just logged into my account, and sure enough I am no longer scheduled for installation on 5/17. There's no installation date listed.
Whelp that answers that... Guess I'll get that tomorrow too...

This guy did get back to me with some answers, but affirmed that theirs was a "take it or leave it" offer. They were refusing to honor their Contract, apparently thinking the pricing there was just a preliminary proposal, not a firm quote.
This ^. We can't let them get away with it. You cannot pretend that was just an estimate.
I've since filed a complaint with the California Contractors State License Board, which enforces the laws about construction contracting. Tesla is a licensed contractor, but doesn't feel unduly constrained by those laws, which require contractors to abide by their contracts. I urge others to also file complaints.
Ditto!
1. Submitted a CSLB complaint.
2. Reported fraud with FTC (ReportFraud.ftc.gov)
3. Please sign and spread this petition (Sign the Petition)

Reactions: FlatSix911
Finally had a call with someone on the phone. They offered the "free" powerwall, although they wouldn't put it in writing. The customer service person was amusing, telling me that this was like, "If I walked into a shoe shop and then the price of shoes went up before I purchased." That is a creative legal interpretation.

I'm honestly tempted to simply take them to arbitration. I'm an attorney, so watching someone argue that a price increase is an "unforeseen circumstance at the installation location" might be worth it for the entertainment value.

This ^. We can't let them get away with it. You cannot pretend that was just an estimate.

Ditto!
Yes, I’ve also filled an FTC complaint (10 minutes filling out online form) and signed the petition. The more people who do these things, the more noise and bad publicity we make.

Finally had a call with someone on the phone. They offered the "free" powerwall, although they wouldn't put it in writing. The customer service person was amusing, telling me that this was like, "If I walked into a shoe shop and then the price of shoes went up before I purchased." That is a creative legal interpretation.

I'm honestly tempted to simply take them to arbitration. I'm an attorney, so watching someone argue that a price increase is an "unforeseen circumstance at the installation location" might be worth it for the entertainment value.
I’m interested in also taking them to arbitration. Keep us posted in how it goes.

V.childress going through the contract I also thought it was comical that Tesla is using the unforseen circumstances at install location as an exit. Especially with the now public knowledge that a vast number of us had their contracts changed, some on the brink of install, post all prework inspections but prior to start of actual work which would uncover hidden circumstances. We also have Elon's testimony on solar roofs mistakes during the earnings conference call.

However, I did also notice section 13 limitations of liability which relieves Tesla of indirect, special, and concequential damages.

What damages would you persue? I suppose you can try to make an argument with the arbitrator that the Tesla contract is written way to much in their favor and try to void that section to some degree.

I am also considering filing a claim for all the money and work I did to trim trees and modify my house to match with a dark grey/black roof that will now never arrive. Although unless you can get an arbitrator to void section 13 limitations seems like Tesla may have an ez out.

Luckily I was going to pay out of pocket. My heart goes out to the people who got solar loans and whatever origination and early payment fees they may have to incur to cancel their loans.

However, I did also notice section 13 limitations of liability which relieves Tesla of indirect, special, and concequential damages.

What damages would you persue? I suppose you can try to make an argument with the arbitrator that the Tesla contract is written way to much in their favor and try to void that section to some degree.

I am on a loan. Not really pleased about that.

Also, afraid I'm going to cop out here. I don't comment on legal matters on fora like this simply to avoid anyone arguing that I'm illegally practicing law in some jurisdiction where I don't have a license. Sorry! But if I'm successful, I'll update folks.

I am curious to hear your point of view on how these type of cases typically get handled/resolved. How can Tesla afford to have such a callous attitude? is it because they somehow know they will get away with it?

I did not sleep last night--I've been expecting a Tesla Energy representative to visit my home for the past 2 weeks to resolve some outstand issues, but I can't a response from anyone. So I sent the following to every Tesla Energy employee who has contacted me (believe it or not it’s 20). I know I’m tilting at windmills. Excuse my writing I'm sleep deprived.

I had Tesla install a solar roof on my house. Actual work started October 2020 and ended in January 2021. There were problems from the start. However one particular issues are the rain gutters on my house were damage during installation because it was assumed the rain gutters would be replaced by the installer so the leaned their ladders up against them. After I complained about the damage Tesla increased my bill by $2,112.50. Tesla has been pestering me to agree to the increase for at least a month, and will not fix and of the other issues I have until I agree to pay. We’ve gone back and forth with this and no one I talk to can make a decision. Tesla’s local after-sales customer service is ineffective to say the least. To add insult to injury in order to install galvanize drip edging across the eves slots where cut into the galvanize drip edging where the existing rain gutter hidden hangers are. This created tabs that were then bent up, which on a lower roof you can actually see from the ground. This looks hideous and will prematurely rust. I was told by a Tesla Energy customer support representative over the phone Tesla bends tabs down and tuck them behind the new rain gutter. This is not what drip edge is for. This will force the water behind the rain gutter and in the long term cause damage to my home. Another issue is my siding was cut very high and uneven and the j-channel was removed and never reinstalled—there are pieces of siding missing. Also, after the re-seal the Firestone CLAD-GARD SA leaked and damage was done to a closet door in the master bedroom (some Firestone CLAD-GARD SA actually blew off so there’s a big workmanship problem here). In the attic where the roof sheeting is exposed numerous, at least 20, leaks occurred, and water pooled on the attic floor. Due to the number of visible leaks it is reasonable to assume leaks also occurred in the cathedral ceilings and the insulation became wet so there could be latent damage, (cannot know unless all the drywall on the cathedral ceilings is removed). The final insult is my roof has never produced even 80%, at any instant, the amount of energy it was supposedly designed to produce.

Attachments

• Closet_1.JPG
    Closet_1.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DE_GH.JPG
    DE_GH.JPG
    677.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5039.JPG
    IMG_5039.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5067.JPG
    IMG_5067.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5082.JPG
    IMG_5082.JPG
    426.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5086.JPG
    IMG_5086.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5294 (1).JPG
    IMG_5294 (1).JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 60
  • PR_2.JPG
    PR_2.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 59
  • PR_3.JPG
    PR_3.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 49
  • what.JPG
    what.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 60
I did not sleep last night--I've been expecting a Tesla Energy representative to visit my home for the past 2 weeks to resolve some outstand issues, but I can't a response from anyone. So I sent the following to every Tesla Energy employee who has contacted me (believe it or not it’s 20). I know I’m tilting at windmills. Excuse my writing I'm sleep deprived.

I had Tesla install a solar roof on my house. Actual work started October 2020 and ended in January 2021. There were problems from the start. However one particular issues are the rain gutters on my house were damage during installation because it was assumed the rain gutters would be replaced by the installer so the leaned their ladders up against them. After I complained about the damage Tesla increased my bill by $2,112.50. Tesla has been pestering me to agree to the increase for at least a month, and will not fix and of the other issues I have until I agree to pay. We’ve gone back and forth with this and no one I talk to can make a decision. Tesla’s local after-sales customer service is ineffective to say the least. To add insult to injury in order to install galvanize drip edging across the eves slots where cut into the galvanize drip edging where the existing rain gutter hidden hangers are. This created tabs that were then bent up, which on a lower roof you can actually see from the ground. This looks hideous and will prematurely rust. I was told by a Tesla Energy customer support representative over the phone Tesla bends tabs down and tuck them behind the new rain gutter. This is not what drip edge is for. This will force the water behind the rain gutter and in the long term cause damage to my home. Another issue is my siding was cut very high and uneven and the j-channel was removed and never reinstalled—there are pieces of siding missing. Also, after the re-seal the Firestone CLAD-GARD SA leaked and damage was done to a closet door in the master bedroom (some Firestone CLAD-GARD SA actually blew off so there’s a big workmanship problem here). In the attic where the roof sheeting is exposed numerous, at least 20, leaks occurred, and water pooled on the attic floor. Due to the number of visible leaks it is reasonable to assume leaks also occurred in the cathedral ceilings and the insulation became wet so there could be latent damage, (cannot know unless all the drywall on the cathedral ceilings is removed). The final insult is my roof has never produced even 80%, at any instant, the amount of energy it was supposedly designed to produce.
I have to admit, this would be one of the reasons I would never consider a solar roof. The most important piece of my house is a roof. It leaks, I am screwed. IMO, the solar roof stuff is just way way too risky. And if I think about long term support, and your issues are short term, no thanks. And then to make it worse, as you have stated, the roofs really do not put out as much energy as panels. What happens in lets say 10 years and your roof starts to leak or the tiles no longer work. Just thinking about costs, let alone finding someone to try and fix.

I will just stick with my ugly roof and panels.

Good luck

Reactions: jimm01
Filed a BBB.org complaint as well.
Yes, I’ve also filled an FTC complaint (10 minutes filling out online form) and signed the petition. The more people who do these things, the more noise and bad publicity we make.

Ditto!
In addition to these, I have also submitted a request for a meeting with Rep Katie Porter (CA-45). You can do it here:

Rep. Katie Porter is known for her strong positions and advocacy for consumer protection:

I know it's a long shot, but the more noise we make, the better our chances as a community! Please let your congressperson know what is going on, and feed this information.

I have to admit, this would be one of the reasons I would never consider a solar roof. The most important piece of my house is a roof. It leaks, I am screwed. IMO, the solar roof stuff is just way way too risky. And if I think about long term support, and your issues are short term, no thanks. And then to make it worse, as you have stated, the roofs really do not put out as much energy as panels. What happens in lets say 10 years and your roof starts to leak or the tiles no longer work. Just thinking about costs, let alone finding someone to try and fix.

I will just stick with my ugly roof and panels.

Good luck
Thanks, Tesla's non-existent local after-sales customer service only makes matters worse.

Reactions: h2ofun

Now this is truly frightening. If there is this much lack of support a few months in, what will it look like in 10 years? The fact you have so many numerous leaks post install also freaks me out. The many penetrations they make to install all the mounting hardware has made me nervous since I first saw it.

I mean look at this picture https://cleantechnica.com/files/2019/08/Tesla-Solar-Roof-Installation-Kyle-Field-CleanTechnica-4.jpg those are quite a lot of fastener penetrations.

Im starting to think this price hike and broken contract may have been a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: h2ofun and jimm01