Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why I ‘got out of Dodge’ because they appear to just be stringing most people along. Signing agreements, then taking 2 years, then jacking the price, then saying they’d honor original price (after heavy backlash, press, arbitration), now changing terms again…. I really do hope the best for everyone that is counting on warranties. Meanwhile they are still trying to make new sales with improved performance tiles, but apparently can’t install the size or features they’ve been selling all along? It’s not like a different company did the original site inspection and quote…
Exactly. Not sure how to count on their warranty. Now they are threatening us they will cancel the contract if I don’t sign the new contract. It is coming all the way from their top management and they are not going to help us as well.

Exactly. Not sure how to count on their warranty. Now they are threatening us they will cancel the contract if I don’t sign the new contract.
It is coming all the way from their top management and they are not going to help us as well.
I would not agree to their revised terms... sounds a bit like extortion to me. ;)

Press them to honor the original contract and remind them of the court order:

"In communications shared with the court, Tesla has agreed to finally honor the solar roof prices given to customers who had signed contracts.
Tesla’s lawyers informed the plaintiffs in the consolidated case that the company started “a program for customers who signed Solar Roof contracts before the April 2021 price changes to return those customers to their original pricing.”

The court communicated Tesla’s statement in the filing:

On September 13, 2021, counsel for Tesla informed counsel for Plaintiffs that Tesla had recently launched a program for customers who signed Solar Roof contracts before the April 2021 price changes to return those customers to their original pricing (if they were subject to a price increase in April 2021). Plaintiffs’ counsel have requested additional details and advised counsel forTesla that they believe settlement discussions should commence immediately in order to consider, clarify, and formalize certain terms of relief.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I would not agree to their revised terms... sounds a bit like extortion to me. ;)

Press them to honor the original contract and remind them of the court order:

"In communications shared with the court, Tesla has agreed to finally honor the solar roof prices given to customers who had signed contracts.
Tesla’s lawyers informed the plaintiffs in the consolidated case that the company started “a program for customers who signed Solar Roof contracts before the April 2021 price changes to return those customers to their original pricing.”

The court communicated Tesla’s statement in the filing:

I have already pointed this to them. The project advisor that I am working with is not helpful and pushing me to sign the new contract. If they are going to cancel my contract without my approval, I may have to take this matter to the court.

Keep pushing. They may not like what they signed, but they did sign it. The fact that they have since exited the skylight business is their issue, not yours. They are completely free to subcontract any part of their contract to others.

Here are some snippets from our original contract. It says Standard Gutter installation is included along with other minor repairs.

2021-11-22_21-54-01.png

All the pre construction prices are zeroed out here.

2021-11-22_21-51-12.png

After the site survey, nothing major was found.

Does this mean the scope of work includes everything from start to finish and all the pre construction work such as roof deck replacement, electrical upgrades, gutter replacement will be taken care by Tesla?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Does this mean the scope of work includes everything from start to finish and all the pre construction work such as roof deck replacement, electrical upgrades, gutter replacement will be taken care by Tesla?
Did they walk your roof at the site survey?

Either way, it's not standard to include the cost of roof deck repairs in normal re-roof contracts. The ones I've seen will normally say deck repairs are done at a cost of X$ per plywood sheet or SQFT. Then when they perform tear-off and can see the deck condition, they will replace as needed and add to your cost.

You can predict a little based on age of your current roof and known condition. If you haven't let it degrade and have no leaking, then normally roof deck repair would be minimal. Assuming it meets the base thickness requirements and no internal wood damage. Do you have reason to believe they will need to replace the deck?

Here are some snippets from our original contract. It says Standard Gutter installation is included along with other minor repairs.

View attachment 736312

All the pre construction prices are zeroed out here.

View attachment 736311

After the site survey, nothing major was found.

How old is this contract? Tesla put gutters on our house because we were very early, first 100. However, they stopped that in late/mid 2020.

I believe they require deck repair, but at an extra charge if it is much of anything. The decking needs to be solid and in very good shape. They will put a membrane on top of it, and the tiles on top of the membrane. They spent a day hammering and putting in screws on our decking to make sure it was really solid.

How old is this contract? Tesla put gutters on our house because we were very early, first 100. However, they stopped that in late/mid 2020.

I believe they require deck repair, but at an extra charge if it is much of anything. The decking needs to be solid and in very good shape. They will put a membrane on top of it, and the tiles on top of the membrane. They spent a day hammering and putting in screws on our decking to make sure it was really solid.

We have signed the contract in Jan 2020. So I am assuming it is included. I guess it is one of the benefits of the early adopter. But things are changing and Tesla is fighting to invalidate our original contract.

Best of luck in your fight. We were happy with the free gutters. They gave of choice of 4 or 6" wide and 5 or 6 different styles. The install was very clean.

I screwed up by not paying extra for the leaf guards. Now the gutters above the second story are full of leaves and I have to climb up there to clean them.

Either way, it's not standard to include the cost of roof deck repairs in normal re-roof contracts. The ones I've seen will normally say deck repairs are done at a cost of X$ per plywood sheet or SQFT. Then when they perform tear-off and can see the deck condition, they will replace as needed and add to your cost.

You can predict a little based on age of your current roof and known condition. If you haven't let it degrade and have no leaking, then normally roof deck repair would be minimal. Assuming it meets the base thickness requirements and no internal wood damage. Do you have reason to believe they will need to replace the deck?

They inspected our attic when they did the site survey. I believe when Tesla initially started installing the Solar roof, they included all the pre construction work unless site survey reveals any additional work needed for the job. This is why all of our pre construction work is zeroed out in the contract including alternate roofing for the Skylights. The thing I am most pissed off was the skylights. We have worked with them for this as they specifically mentioned it is not going to be possible to do any kind of roof renovation even after signing the contract. Now they are saying this is not the contract but it is just the purchase agreement and they are allowed to make any changes to the scope of the work. They are now even saying I can install the skylights myself anytime before or after they install the Solar roof.

• Informative
Reactions: cobra

They inspected our attic when they did the site survey. I believe when Tesla initially started installing the Solar roof, they included all the pre construction work unless site survey reveals any additional work needed for the job. This is why all of our pre construction work is zeroed out in the contract including alternate roofing for the Skylights. The thing I am most pissed off was the skylights. We have worked with them for this as they specifically mentioned it is not going to be possible to do any kind of roof renovation even after signing the contract. Now they are saying this is not the contract but it is just the purchase agreement and they are allowed to make any changes to the scope of the work. They are now even saying I can install the skylights myself anytime before or after they install the Solar roof.
I really want to hear their explanation for how a co-signed agreement with deposits paid that explains all the terms around purchase, installation, warranty, etc. is not a contract.

This is interesting. Either it will allow for more energy generation to justify the higher current pricing, or it will allow the same amount of energy to be generated at a lower price point due to fewer solar tiles being used. Or will they maintain the higher price for lower total energy output, and keep the cost savings for themselves?

Tesla did upgrade me to the new tiles and increased the total kw of my system by about 25% at no extra cost. Will follow up when they are actually done, but I'm fairly pleased with how things have turned out so far. They are certainly living up to their reputation with poor communication and missing timelines, but the product is way cheaper than alternatives so I'll make that trade!

I also got upgraded to the new tiles and had my install done a few weeks ago. They changed the design to account for the new tiles 3 days before the scheduled install date and rescheduled my installation without notifying me. The tear-off and dry-in was done by a subcontractor that uses the cheapest labor (maybe even illegal immigrants) as only one person from the crew spoke English. During the tear-off, the crew broke the ceiling in two rooms, broke a sewer vent pipe, broke siding in a few places and disposed of all the j-channels they had to remove and keep for the installation. They also messed up the flashing installation and had to come back to fix when Tesla inspected their work. It’s been more than a month since the tear-off and while they addressed most of the problems they caused (by writing me a check to get those issues fixed on my own) the siding and j-channels are still not taken care of and I have to keep asking about it. Judging by some other posts here, this is to be expected to last for a long time without resolution.

Overall, if I rated my experience for the project so far on a 5-point scale with 5 being the highest rating:
Overall project management: 2
Communication: 2
Tear-off crew professionalism: 3
Tesla install crew professionalism: 4.5

Happy to answer any questions about the ratings or my experience.

• Informative
I also got upgraded to the new tiles and had my install done a few weeks ago. They changed the design to account for the new tiles 3 days before the scheduled install date and rescheduled my installation without notifying me. The tear-off and dry-in was done by a subcontractor that uses the cheapest labor (maybe even illegal immigrants) as only one person from the crew spoke English. During the tear-off, the crew broke the ceiling in two rooms, broke a sewer vent pipe, broke siding in a few places and disposed of all the j-channels they had to remove and keep for the installation. They also messed up the flashing installation and had to come back to fix when Tesla inspected their work. It’s been more than a month since the tear-off and while they addressed most of the problems they caused (by writing me a check to get those issues fixed on my own) the siding and j-channels are still not taken care of and I have to keep asking about it. Judging by some other posts here, this is to be expected to last for a long time without resolution.

Overall, if I rated my experience for the project so far on a 5-point scale with 5 being the highest rating:
Overall project management: 2
Communication: 2
Tear-off crew professionalism: 3
Tesla install crew professionalism: 4.5

Happy to answer any questions about the ratings or my experience.
Sounds like you had the same tear-off crew as me!

There are other companies around here with great reputations but they charge a ton more and just do panels. The dominant local company quoted me $67k to reroof with asphalt shingles and add 15 kw of panels with no storage (before incentives) vs. Tesla wanting ~$60k for a 20 kw glass roof with no storage (I'm excluding it to make it apples to apples). Even if they offered solar shingles and power walls which they don't, I wouldn't pay them $7k extra to get better professionalism/communication. The crap tear-off crew did dent some gutters, but again overall it still seems like a bargain to me...

• Informative
Interesting news regarding panel shortages... solar roof installations are supposedly not affected.

"Tesla Solar buyers are reporting receiving this email:
Supply China Delays May Impact Your Installation Timeline
Due to supply chain delays, your installation timeline may be extended. These delays are broadly impacting the U.S. solar industry and are outside Tesla’s control. We do not currently have a firm timeline from our suppliers as to when these delays will end. We will be in touch with you as soon as we have updated information.
Thank you for your patience and for helping accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
A source familiar with the matter told Electrek that Tesla is not expecting to get more solar panels until next month. In internal communication, Tesla wrote:
“Supply chain delays are impacting material availability for solar panels. This will lead to delays in scheduling installations for customers not already on the calendar. A communication was sent out at midnight on Tue, November 30th to all permitted customers not currently on the installation calendar to notify them of the potential delays.”
Therefore, Tesla doesn’t plan to schedule new installation dates until next year when it can secure more solar panels.
As we previously reported, Tesla has been expecting a loss of 3-4 MW of solar projects this quarter."

A2507623-0341-4A4D-877F-1372F7C38546.jpeg
Received this email yesterday. Assuming the class action lawsuits must have had an impact.
I was not party to either lawsuits that I have seen in the news and did not go on social media. Hopefully this means all solar roof customers are getting the original contract terms honored.

Reactions: nicholb
Received the below email today.

“Thank you for your interest in Solar Roof. In April 2021, Tesla increased pricing for some Solar Roof customers. Since then, we have updated our policy for customers who signed agreements before March 27, 2021.
We’re now offering you the chance to proceed with Solar Roof under your pricing and terms that were in place before the April price change.

Action Required: To reactivate your project, please complete this form by December 31, 2021.”

Reactions: Coggsfl
I got the same email on December 10th:

Thank you for your interest in Solar Roof. In April 2021, Tesla increased pricing for some Solar Roof customers. Since then, we have updated our policy for customers who signed agreements before March 27, 2021.

Since your project is already installed, we’ll review your final system to compare current contract pricing with your prior pricing. You’ll get the benefit of your old pricing, less the value of any promotions we applied to your project (like an extra Powerwall or larger solar system). If this results in a lower cost, we will send you a rebate to the address on file within the next 30 to 90 days.

Best Regards,

The Tesla Team

In August, I got a call from Tesla that they would honor my original quote. Mid-Septermber they removed my old worn out roof and the new solar roof with 2 Powerwall+ was installed. I received PTO on October 6th. I was a little disappointed with power generation until Oncor, the local Texas power delivery company, came by to reprogram my meter. Instantly, I was generating 30% more power. Unfortunately, I'm in the fall and soon winter months, so my power generation is limited (9-12 kW), but I went from ~1500 kWh to 400 in October and 170 in November. So far I'm very happy. We will see what happens next summer when hopefully I'll be generating at 20 kW. I'm also wondering if I will get some money back when Tesla finishes the review.

It has been interesting trying to optimize power so that I can fill up the Powerwalls during the day, use them to power the house overnight, while using some high power things like pool pumps during the middle of the day. I'm still not sure if I will get money back for power I generate, so I'm trying to optimize to use all the power generated.

I got the same email on December 10th:

Thank you for your interest in Solar Roof. In April 2021, Tesla increased pricing for some Solar Roof customers. Since then, we have updated our policy for customers who signed agreements before March 27, 2021.

Since your project is already installed, we’ll review your final system to compare current contract pricing with your prior pricing. You’ll get the benefit of your old pricing, less the value of any promotions we applied to your project (like an extra Powerwall or larger solar system). If this results in a lower cost, we will send you a rebate to the address on file within the next 30 to 90 days.

Best Regards,

The Tesla Team

In August, I got a call from Tesla that they would honor my original quote. Mid-Septermber they removed my old worn out roof and the new solar roof with 2 Powerwall+ was installed. I received PTO on October 6th. I was a little disappointed with power generation until Oncor, the local Texas power delivery company, came by to reprogram my meter. Instantly, I was generating 30% more power. Unfortunately, I'm in the fall and soon winter months, so my power generation is limited (9-12 kW), but I went from ~1500 kWh to 400 in October and 170 in November. So far I'm very happy. We will see what happens next summer when hopefully I'll be generating at 20 kW. I'm also wondering if I will get some money back when Tesla finishes the review.

It has been interesting trying to optimize power so that I can fill up the Powerwalls during the day, use them to power the house overnight, while using some high power things like pool pumps during the middle of the day. I'm still not sure if I will get money back for power I generate, so I'm trying to optimize to use all the power generated.
Hi can you explain a bit more about how the utility altered your generation? I don't understand what the meter has to do with your system, which should otherwise just get dumped into your batteries. Is it possible your batteries were full and your roof was generating more energy than was used by your home, and they simply enabled net metering (which would then dump the excess back on the grid?)