Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi can you explain a bit more about how the utility altered your generation? I don't understand what the meter has to do with your system, which should otherwise just get dumped into your batteries. Is it possible your batteries were full and your roof was generating more energy than was used by your home, and they simply enabled net metering (which would then dump the excess back on the grid?)
I think it is like you explained. They told me it was for net metering and it would allow for me to be paid. I assume the system was only generating enough power to fill the batteries and power the house. Interesting before I received my ATO, my system would generate at about half power, just enough to fill the batteries and partially run the house. I think that Tesla was limiting the system to ensure that no power would go into the grid in an outage and endanger any line workers.

Reactions: SMFS
I think it is like you explained. They told me it was for net metering and it would allow for me to be paid. I assume the system was only generating enough power to fill the batteries and power the house. Interesting before I received my ATO, my system would generate at about half power, just enough to fill the batteries and partially run the house. I think that Tesla was limiting the system to ensure that no power would go into the grid in an outage and endanger any line workers.
Prior to PTO they put the system in "no-export" mode, which prevents it from feeding back into the grid even if there is excess solar production. When your batteries are full and solar is producing more than you're consuming there will be "unaccounted for" solar production. But, I'm curious if they actually configure the system to produce less in this "no-export" mode. I'm not an expert in these things, so it may be possible that the solar production can be throttled, but I'm thinking that the solar elements on the roof are generating electricity regardless of what's is happening further downstream and if there is somewhere for the electricity to go (like your house or batteries) then it should go there and the neurios in the inverters and the gateway are just measuring the flow.
In my case, there is almost always room in the batteries and my solar production is underwhelming. I haven't received the PTO yet and several people at Tesla have told me that the system isn't producing at full capacity until the PTO and that I should expect higher solar production after PTO. I'm a bit skeptical though.

Does anyone know for a fact that the solar roof is operating at a reduced capacity while in "no-export" mode?

Prior to PTO they put the system in "no-export" mode, which prevents it from feeding back into the grid even if there is excess solar production. When your batteries are full and solar is producing more than you're consuming there will be "unaccounted for" solar production. But, I'm curious if they actually configure the system to produce less in this "no-export" mode. I'm not an expert in these things, so it may be possible that the solar production can be throttled, but I'm thinking that the solar elements on the roof are generating electricity regardless of what's is happening further downstream and if there is somewhere for the electricity to go (like your house or batteries) then it should go there and the neurios in the inverters and the gateway are just measuring the flow.
In my case, there is almost always room in the batteries and my solar production is underwhelming. I haven't received the PTO yet and several people at Tesla have told me that the system isn't producing at full capacity until the PTO and that I should expect higher solar production after PTO. I'm a bit skeptical though.

Does anyone know for a fact that the solar roof is operating at a reduced capacity while in "no-export" mode?
I don't know about the no export part, since my system was fully live and exporting on day one and I had to manually disconnect it from the grid prior to PTO. But, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere tomorrow (Dec 21) is in general the worse day for solar production (winter solstice) so your production is likely as bad as it will get. I am producing 7-8 kWh/day (peak 1.5-2 kW) now. Around the summer solstice (June 21) the same roof produces 80 kWh/day and fills the 2 powerwalls by 10 AM. So I suspect the reason you are not seeing the system fill your PWs at this time of year, may have more to do with poor production capability due to time of year versus any throttling of production.

• Informative
Reactions: SMFS
I don't know about the no export part, since my system was fully live and exporting on day one and I had to manually disconnect it from the grid prior to PTO. But, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere tomorrow (Dec 21) is in general the worse day for solar production (winter solstice) so your production is likely as bad as it will get. I am producing 7-8 kWh/day (peak 1.5-2 kW) now. Around the summer solstice (June 21) the same roof produces 80 kWh/day and fills the 2 powerwalls by 10 AM. So I suspect the reason you are not seeing the system fill your PWs at this time of year, may have more to do with poor production capability due to time of year versus any throttling of production.
Until December, I was able to fill the batteries and then use them overnight to power the house. This was with running the pool in the afternoon. As you said, my production has gone down so much due to the lower sun angle that I had to move my pool to running in the middle of the night to give my batteries a chance to get near 100% during the day. Since the pool is likely to run anyway at night because of freeze guard, I’ll leave it that was until late spring then reevaluate to see if I can optimize power use better. I’ve only had the system for 3 months, so I still have a lot to learn.

I’m not sure exactly how everything works, but they told me my system was software limited until PTO. After I received PTO, it started producing much more after Tesla removed the software limit. At least a week after PTO, the power technician came by to reprogram the meter. She said I should not have had it on, but I told her I had permission from the power company. I can’t explain how the meter reprogram helped, but it was a noticeable increase.

What is the size of your system (in kWh) if you don’t mind answering?

What is the size of your system (in kWh) if you don’t mind answering?
12.75 kW.

We get lower generation than neighbors with similar systems because, in addition to the low sun being weaker, its position also causes the roof to be shaded by our trees. This shading will be reduced in the next month or so as the sun rises higher in the sky and the leaves continue to fall.

Tesla did upgrade me to the new tiles and increased the total kw of my system by about 25% at no extra cost. Will follow up when they are actually done, but I'm fairly pleased with how things have turned out so far. They are certainly living up to their reputation with poor communication and missing timelines, but the product is way cheaper than alternatives so I'll make that trade!

Not sure if anyone cares at this point, but Tesla did eventually finish this project, which looks great and they did it for the price we originally agreed. They actually tried to raise the price on me once again because they upsized the system (without my consent) using the more efficient panels, but because I never approved it they were forced to take the old price. Their management is truly a cluster f*** to rival the worst your cable company can offer. I'm happy overall and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind suffering through the customer service side. If they manage to get the customer service right someday they will really have something unrivaled!

Not sure if anyone cares at this point, but Tesla did eventually finish this project, which looks great and they did it for the price we originally agreed. They actually tried to raise the price on me once again because they upsized the system (without my consent) using the more efficient panels, but because I never approved it they were forced to take the old price. Their management is truly a cluster f*** to rival the worst your cable company can offer. I'm happy overall and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind suffering through the customer service side. If they manage to get the customer service right someday they will really have something unrivaled!
Can't help responding. My son is having an issue with them with installed equipment he didn't approve or want. May go to arbitration.
Your expression of management is pretty good.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Interesting news regarding the current supply chain constraints at Tesla Solar.

"This week, Electrek learned that Tesla informed employees that the supply chain issues are now affecting solar roof projects:
Most of the solar industry has been experiencing supply chain delays. These constraints are beginning to impact Solar Roof as well. This will lead to delays in scheduling installations for Tesla customers not already on the calendar.
Several customers are reporting having received the following message from Tesla’s solar team:
Supply Chain Delays May Impact Your Installation Timeline
Due to supply chain delays, your installation timeline may be extended. These delays are broadly impacting the U.S. solar industry and are outside Tesla’s control. We do not currently have a firm timeline from our suppliers as to when these delays will end. We will be in touch with you as soon as we have updated information. Thank you for your patience and for helping accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
Tesla says that it doesn’t want to share any updated timeline until it received the material from suppliers."

Interesting news regarding the current supply chain constraints at Tesla Solar.

"This week, Electrek learned that Tesla informed employees that the supply chain issues are now affecting solar roof projects:

Several customers are reporting having received the following message from Tesla’s solar team:

Tesla says that it doesn’t want to share any updated timeline until it received the material from suppliers.
"
We ordered a Bosch OR KitchenAid panel-ready dishwasher (we don't care; whichever arrives first) in February 2021 and have been continually told "it's been delayed by a few more weeks, but it should be here soon..."

In December 2021, Bosch guided "March 2022" and KitchenAid said, "January 6, 2022" and as of today, February 4, 2022, neither have any new updates to share and we are still without a dishwasher. (We broke down and bought the cheapest Whirlpool available, which has been a godsend, so now it really doesn't matter how much longer we have to wait.)

Only sharing this totally unrelated to solar panels anecdote to illustrate that there is truly an multi-industry, global-wide manufacturing meltdown still happening.

We ordered a Bosch OR KitchenAid panel-ready dishwasher (we don't care; whichever arrives first) in February 2021 and have been continually told "it's been delayed by a few more weeks, but it should be here soon..."

In December 2021, Bosch guided "March 2022" and KitchenAid said, "January 6, 2022" and as of today, February 4, 2022, neither have any new updates to share and we are still without a dishwasher. (We broke down and bought the cheapest Whirlpool available, which has been a godsend, so now it really doesn't matter how much longer we have to wait.)

Only sharing this totally unrelated to solar panels anecdote to illustrate that there is truly an multi-industry, global-wide manufacturing meltdown still happening.

I still think the government is flat out lying about the inflation rates lol. I don't know what "basket of goods" they're looking at, but things are out of control. Store near me has a Bosch 800 series dishwasher in stock and ready to ship (locally?) for $1,300. Bought the same 800 series in 2019 for $650.

We went through this when our dishwasher died in late summer. We first went to Lowes and Home depot. We got 5-6 weeks before they could deliver anything. Most of the washers they would not even quote a delivery date because of the supply chain issues. Then we went to one of the local appliance chains. New Bosch installed in 3 days! Done!

2 weeks ago the Washer died. Went back to the same local appliance chain. New GE washer delivered in 1 day! The thing is neat and use Google Home or Alexa to notify you when the cycle is done.

We went through this when our dishwasher died in late summer. We first went to Lowes and Home depot. We got 5-6 weeks before they could deliver anything. Most of the washers they would not even quote a delivery date because of the supply chain issues. Then we went to one of the local appliance chains. New Bosch installed in 3 days! Done!

2 weeks ago the Washer died. Went back to the same local appliance chain. New GE washer delivered in 1 day! The thing is neat and use Google Home or Alexa to notify you when the cycle is done.
What? That new Bosch died so soon?

Yeah, the only reason I can think of to go to a big box store for appliances is when Home Depot or Lowes gives that 10% or 15% coupon to people when they move into a new house or apartment. Lowe's will honor the coupon if it's from HD, and the other way-around. The local shops tend not not to match the coupons from the major big box chains.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yeah, the only reason I can think of to go to a big box store for appliances is when Home Depot or Lowes gives that 10% or 15% coupon to people when they move into a new house or apartment. Lowe's will honor the coupon if it's from HD, and the other way-around. The local shops tend not not to match the coupons from the major big box chains.
10 to 15% off does not compensate me enough for washing dishes by hand or washing clothes at a laundry for a month. :D

Reactions: buckets0fun
We were "lucky" that our old dishwasher died about a week into the initial pandemic lockdown in March, 2020. Since Home Depot was considered an essential business, they were still open with social distancing and at that point had plenty of stock. We got a new Bosch delivered for free within a few days.