Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not been so lucky yet. After a number of bad faith efforts to get me to not go to arbitration, they are about to spent over $5k just to begin arbitration rather than honor the contract. Does not bode well for customer service for those choosing to go forward with the roof...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have not been so lucky yet. After a number of bad faith efforts to get me to not go to arbitration, they are about to spent over $5k just to begin arbitration rather than honor the contract. Does not bode well for customer service for those choosing to go forward with the roof...
Care to share your story? How much was your price increase? What did they do in "bad faith"?

Do you have to sign a new contract? The terms in the newer contracts give them even more ways to back out or up-charge.

I’m glad it worked out for you. That said, too little too late for a lot of us. Whether they meant to or not, the arbitration’s and class actions are going to clear up Bait and Switch for them.
I too cancelled my contract due to the huge price increase imposed, after we had a legally binding construction agreement signed by both parties. I have filed a complaint with the California Contractors State Licensing Board, asking that they suspend Tesla’s contracting license for breach of state regulations governing Contractors business practices.

Unfortunately, there is no remedy that Tesla could offer me that would solve my problems with them. The Solar Roof policies, staff and business practices have repeatedly demonstrated incompetence and arrogance. It has been impossible to deal with anybody with any authority to resolve problems, or even to reach a customer service rep. I will not trust the roof on my home to this company for the next 25 years.

Don’t take my word alone… this thread provides lots of corroborating evidence from others who have been treated badly by Tesla Energy. Perhaps Tesla will get its act together someday. In the meantime, my best wishes to those who take the leap of faith to do business with Tesla Energy. (Note: I own a Model 3 and have no complaints about Tesla’s cars)

I finally was able to speak with the advisor that left me the message today. Looks like Tesla decided to honor the original pricing on some select contracts. He couldn't elaborate on what the selection criteria was, but I'm guessing it has a lot to do with how much of a price increase comes from the new pricing. In my case, the initial increase was almost $19K, but after the free powerwall offer and the upsize offer the difference went down to about $10K. Obviously, these offers go away with the original pricing, but I'm going to proceed with the project.

To those that ask how can one trust Tesla after this stunt I say this - I believe that Tesla didn't intentionally bait and switch. After all, they did quite a few installations at the original price before April, but were too slow to realize the real costs of these installations. So, I attribute the wrong pricing to poor management on the executive level of the solar roof product. Musk fired quite a few people from the solar division due to this. I have 2 Tesla cars and I bought my first model S in 2015 and so far my experience with both the products and the service has been great. This experience with the roof contract was an exception, but if they are going to honor the original contract then that's the signal that Tesla is trying to do the right thing when they can.
Was there any lead up to this? Meaning were there any escalations you did (in terms of complaints/arbitration) or was it out of the blue?

Was there any lead up to this? Meaning were there any escalations you did (in terms of complaints/arbitration) or was it out of the blue?
I contacted my project advisor back in May and told them that I will not be cancelling and I will not be accepting the new agreement, so they stopped the annoying daily emails and texts to remind me about the pending action in my tesla account. I decided to take a "wait-and-see" approach and they were totally ok with that. Then they started sending me these offers - first the free powerwall, then the upsize and now this. Today I finally got the new design and the new price sheet. They increased the solar roof size by almost 50% and the price went up by about $6K, but it's the original pricing structure, so I'm ok with that.

Reactions: NJ Plugin

Do you have to sign a new contract? The terms in the newer contracts give them even more ways to back out or up-charge.

I’m glad it worked out for you. That said, too little too late for a lot of us. Whether they meant to or not, the arbitration’s and class actions are going to clear up Bait and Switch for them.
I got a new roof design today with 44% increase in solar generation. I only had to sign the updated price sheet with old pricing modified to reflect the increase in the solar roof portion. The representative I worked with was extremely helpful and went back and forth with the designer many times to answer all my questions. My previous project advisor wasn't nearly as helpful as this one. I signed and we're moving forward. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I contacted my project advisor back in May and told them that I will not be cancelling and I will not be accepting the new agreement, so they stopped the annoying daily emails and texts to remind me about the pending action in my tesla account. I decided to take a "wait-and-see" approach and they were totally ok with that. Then they started sending me these offers - first the free powerwall, then the upsize and now this. Today I finally got the new design and the new price sheet. They increased the solar roof size by almost 50% and the price went up by about $6K, but it's the original pricing structure, so I'm ok with that.
Thanks. Ah I see, so it's a system change based on old pricing.

They have now offered to honor the original price (on the day arbitration fees were due from them) but with a BIG catch. Here are some of the new terms they are asking you to agree to below. So basically you agree that the same BS pricing changes they did before are now allowed under the contract and they can cancel for any reason. I told them I'm happy to proceed with the old contract, but these new terms are not acceptable. I think they are also creating a catch 22 for arbitration. If you proceed with arbitration and make a claim that is based on the difference between the old price and the updated price that is out the window (because that is now zero), but if you accept the new agreement and they jack up the price to the exact same number you now have zero recourse.

It will be very telling if they refuse to just honor the old contract - basically a guarantee that they planned to use those new clauses to their benefit.

1. Your Purchase Price. You have agreed to purchase your System at the price described in your Price Sheet. Your Price Sheet, which is considered part of these purchase terms, includes taxes. You have 7 days after you receive the Price Sheet and these purchase terms to reject them. If you don’t reject them, or if you move forward with scheduling your installation, that means you are agreeing to the Price Sheet and these purchase terms.
2. Updates to Price Sheet. Even though we have completed the initial design of your system, we might need to make changes to that design, which also means we might need to update the pricing or System size based on a variety of factors, such as installation complexity or product availability. If that happens, we will update the Price Sheet. You have 7 days after you receive the updated Price Sheet to reject it. If you don’t reject it, or if you move forward with scheduling your installation, that means you are agreeing to the updated Price Sheet. The updated Price Sheet replaces any prior Price Sheet and is considered part of these purchase terms that you are agreeing to (unless you rejected the update). Tesla can also decide to increase the size of your Solar Roof at no additional cost to you.
3. Cancellation. At any point prior to the time when you schedule your installation, you can cancel your order for any reason. And so can we. We both just need to let the other know in writing (so there is no misunderstanding). If either of us cancels, we will return your order fee.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Update. They agreed to the original contract with no changes. I guess I'm getting it 🤷‍♂️ Mine was a $40k price increase.
That’s great for those that could wait. Our 20 year old roof needed replaced pronto…after them doing nothing for a year. Since dropping Tesla, we now have a 50-year (pro-rate) warranty roof, traditional solar, no worry over long-term warranty/support and have already banked $350 in solar generation (not even counting SMART). Even if I had waited, no telling how far down they would have pushed me in queue.

- Day 49: 11 Aug 2021

- Tesla not on site. System is functionally complete. Materials remain in the driveway, the porta potty is still here, the gutters have not been re-installed and we haven't even discussed the punch-out list yet. The cricket is a disaster that will require a complete removal and re-installation. There are several sections of siding where the J channel has been removed but the siding remains in place. There are a couple of sections of broken or missing siding that will need to be replaced. My easy-going, understanding attitude towards this project has been wasted. I am becoming very annoyed with the amount of project management time that I have had to spend on this. I am certain that the punch-out work will never be addressed. I have resigned myself to either having to chase this through the court system or do it my self.
My system was finished and tested today and I have this same issue. They even damaged one of my trees :(

I received a call yesterday from Tesla stating they would honor the original contract price if we moved forward. We originally signed our contract back in July 2020 and received an updated contract (+$25k) July of this year. We did not cancel (nor accept the revised contract). Since the call, we have now accepted the "new" contract with the old pricing and are moving forward. We are in unincorporated LA County. On a separate note, the reason our project was originally held up was due to LA County Fire Department holding up approval of the solar roof product (According to LA County Building & Safety, they were/are not finilizing building permits until LA County Fire gave the go ahead... From my understanding of the situation, it is still in a grey area in terms of what is being approved and what is not, at least within the LA County jurisdiction...

We did not attempt to arbitrate, we were simply waiting it out to see who would make the next move...

Ended up being only $4k more after rebate.

Added 4.2kw to my array / free Powerwall+ and 0.99% APR. Small change. I have no idea what they did but the rebate increased almost 9k.
It seems like we are returning to close the original (first 100) prices. We were part of the first 100 Solar roofs installed and paid $12-15K more than people that a few months later and close to what people are seeing today. I think the Solar division sales mgmt at the time cut the price after the 100 or so installs, to unsustainable lows prices to drive volume. Then when Tesla's upper management saw this big loss they fired that team and increased the prices to where they are today.

Yeah I would have paid $4k more, but I wouldn't have signed the new agreement they wanted you to sign...
well I spent over $500 a year on an un-used gym membership so $4k over 10 years is not much lol.

Also if you sign a contract today they make you get the max size. I have gas heating/dryer so I have no need for such a huge installation to hit 100% offset. In the other thread I mentioned how they are pushing a 85k+ system on me when I need only need about half of that.