Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
100.gif

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Mr. Sellers, I wish you well Sir. You have my respect.

PV Magazine Mobil: US solar system prices fell 17% in 2015, finds GTM

Update on solar prices. Solar prices are declining for all segments except residential. Residential remains at $3.50/W. My take is that residential competes with residential utility rates which have not come down. Soft costs, especially marketing and sales costs could be reduced if there were competitive pressures to do so. Case in point, SolarCity has reduced it's installation cost substantially, but it is not lowering its retail prices.

$100 million in 2017 bonds available, with $90 million being purchased by SpaceX: SolarCity - Prospectus Filed Pursuant to Rule 424

From the latest 10K -
"In March 2015, Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, or SpaceX, purchased $90.0 million in aggregate principal amount of 2.00% Solar Bonds due in March 2016."

So essentially the new SpaceX purchase looks to be a mere re-financing operation (at a higher rate of 4.4% from 2%).

• Informative
Reactions: Ukland Wombat
I'm on the fence with this Maine legislation, seems to me it's all about labels. What's the difference between "net metering" and a feed in tariff that equals retail?

The thing I'm concerned about these days is making sure an individual homeowner's right to power their house comes first. What happens when these utils scramble to add tons of utility solar and we end up with an excess? Where's the legislated requirement to absorb a homeowner's excess rooftop production?

Does the grid exist to serve the people or the other way around?

Reactions: gene and Tedkidd
SunPower's Big Play for the Rooftop Solar Market

Since more and more customers are now choosing to buy solar systems with cash or a loan, it makes the cost of installation and the energy production from a system more critical to the customer. That's why the Equinox system's simple design, high-energy production, and good looks are a key selling point. Solar is now about more than just what customers are paying for energy.

What do you see as the problem with SunPower trying to serve multiple segments? Or are you thinking of something else?
If you're going to be "full service", you need to provide the services. What's the point of signing a PPA with someone when the install is done by an unknown entity and any needs you have down the line will be handled by the same unknown entity or some other if the original goes out of business?

To me, the value proposition of SCTY is that you get top products and top service from a known entity who will be around forever. If I'm going with a stranger, why would I pay the premium price of a PPA? I would just finance the purchase outright.

Reactions: Ukland Wombat
If you're going to be "full service", you need to provide the services. What's the point of signing a PPA with someone when the install is done by an unknown entity and any needs you have down the line will be handled by the same unknown entity or some other if the original goes out of business?

To me, the value proposition of SCTY is that you get top products and top service from a known entity who will be around forever. If I'm going with a stranger, why would I pay the premium price of a PPA? I would just finance the purchase outright.
I like SolarCity's vertical integration, but it seems that other players have to figure out where they can add value and where they are better off partnering. For example, Sunrun mostly partners with other installers so it can focus more on marketing, sales and financing. SunPower is firstly a panel maker, so I see this as an attempt to assure that their products remain relevant to the rooftop market. They can't simply rely on small installers to select their product. They need to round out the total package to compete with SolarCity.

I like SolarCity's vertical integration, but it seems that other players have to figure out where they can add value and where they are better off partnering. For example, Sunrun mostly partners with other installers so it can focus more on marketing, sales and financing. SunPower is firstly a panel maker, so I see this as an attempt to assure that their products remain relevant to the rooftop market. They can't simply rely on small installers to select their product. They need to round out the total package to compete with SolarCity.
I also like the additional sales and marketing efforts...which will lead to SolarCity getting some calls for competing bids so it should float all boats for rooftop solar. SunPower's decision also flies in the face of the dead end business model line of reasoning in which all the wealthy solar customers have been cherry picked and all that's left is a sub-prime leasing market. I think SolarCity will compare favorably.

Status
Not open for further replies.