Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any party (TSLA or otherwise) receive LIVE (or DAILY) current proxy vote stats leading up to the final vote day, OR, are the final votes tabulated and an UP/ DOWN on the two questions provided after the deadline?

I'm curious because Fidelity sent me the proxy vote link (Friday, I think) and I voted - electronically - at that time.

I'm sorry if this question is already asked-and-answered.

Yes. Tesla and SolarCity can receive an updated vote tally as frequently as they want to. Typically process this far out is to get weekly updates.

That being said, they may decide to check more frequently so that they can get a handle on whether they need to push harder on unvoted shares.

Viral growth? Paying industry leading customer acquisition cost brings viral growth?
Maybe a more articulate way to put it is very fast paced growth. They used to take kind of a carpet-bombing approach in order to gobble up market share, if they dial that back and sharpshoot their markets it's pretty easy to pick and choose the most opportune places. Although it seems like they'll probably want to get right back to carpet-bombing as soon they have enough battery/solar production to supply it.

Many people think that SCTY's install costs, especially sales costs are it's problem. That's not entirely true. The other big issue is cost of capital... From what I know SCTY gives away 12% return or thereabouts to tax equity "partners", with guarantees behind it. In other words if the PPA /lease goes into default, SCTY holds the bag entirely. Also in case of the ABS deals, the final maturity of the deal gets extended based on defaults. So the ABS owners have large cushions against losses. That's the reason why ABS timelines don't match with the PPA timelines.

They could easily foresee this high cost of capital, it's perfectly rational for a business taking something perceived as cutting edge and making it mainstream. This cost will very naturally plummet once solar is even mildly mainstream. The idea that PPA buyers would default en masse was always absurd, but the investment community is clearly almost there now. I believe SCTY saw this temporary high cost coming as was fine with it.
Many people wonder if SCTY is not giving homeowners a good deal, while at the same time it is not making any profits (including all future cashflows), what gives??

The problem is that there are various "leaks" in the business model:
- Substantial cost of capital
To contrast cost of capital is not even considered when making outright purchases, so effectively 0 in people's minds, wether it's true or not in reality
- Default costs
SCTY holds the bag entirely. Again not even considered when making outright purchases.
- O&M costs
SCTY holds the bag on this. SCTY estimated $0.40/W on this. No body thinks of this for outright purchases.
- Renewal
For modeling investors will never take the renewal portion seriously, especially because it is not contracted out. But an outright purchaser might actually consider the purchase as "investment" for longer than 20 years.

None of those "leaks" are a major concern, they can all be very easily flattened out as the market scales. $.40/W of O&M costs? That is a massive over-estimation since these are professionally installed and almost entirely maintenance free.

Including value of renewals is obviously silly and arbitrary since it's 20 years out, but to think the dollar figure they put on that isn't dwarfed by the value of the established customer relationship is equally silly. Solar isn't going to be a one-and-done transaction. These people will need storage hookups and maybe even something like micro-grid solutions long before that 20 year contract is up. There's no value in being their go-to supplier for energy needs moving forward? That's like having the advantages of being the monopoly utility for an entire nation.

Sales costs at $.91/W is 91% of the problem because it's half the reason the other problems exist. If that number were trimmed in half, what would be the cost of capital then? The company would be massively cash-flow positive and installs would be financed at 130% of cost. That cuts your monetization costs considerably because you can sweeten the deals and retain more risk.

In a nut shell, the SCTY PPA/lease are not comparable to outright purchases at all. They are very different animals. But a reasonable rational homeowner is not going to look at all these subtleties. Will compare sticker prices and say SCTY is giving one shitty deal. On the other hand a reasonable rational investor will look at all the cashflows and say SCTY is getting one shitty deal. Neither is a winner, all the money is lost in "ether".

Nearly all of us would never buy a SolarCity PPA, or likely even a straight SCTY install. I would never buy a SolarCity PPA. That's not to say the product doesn't have massive value. The average consumer is not like us, they don't sit around picking through numbers and staying on the cutting edge of technology news. They have one kid that needs to go to soccer practice and another one barfing on their shoulder. Until you can show me a way for consumers to easily obtain a quality solar install with panels that are guaranteed for 25 years from an installer who is guaranteed to be around for those 25 years, I will continue to see value in this PPA product.

The PPA premium vs a low cost local install is well worth it to 50% of the market, especially when you are offering instant savings vs their current grid costs. Let us also not forget that SCTY/TSLA isn't offering this PPA for any other reason than it's what the market has responded to. When installs were $5.50/W, a PPA was the obvious best choice for nearly everyone. Will that change now that we're at $3/W nearly everywhere? I don't believe so. There are too many inherent value adds when going with the SCTY lease product, the ratio will IMO drop down toward 50% and stay in that region for good.

Even entirely erasing the Sales cost down to zero will not make the business model viable. Will prove this one last statement with proper math when I get around to it.

You've already painted this picture many times and it makes perfect sense, if these people haven't listened to your math yet they likely won't.

I think our last favor to ask would be for you opinion of the costs of the most recent monetization round. I'm seeing zero details anywhere and would love some insight into how much of the value they sold and at what cost. I just usually sit here and wait, but how would I go about finding those details?

Unfortunately, now that Tesla has committed itself to a long term purchase of Panasonic solar panels once the merger goes through, that is not possible anymore.
I'm not sure I follow. As far as I can see it sounds like TSLA is pitching the idea of Panasonic running operations in Buffalo as an example of potential post-merger synergies. Kind of a stretch if you ask me.

Also, where does it say that TSLA/Panasonic won't be making panels in the Silveo mold? It sounds to me like Elon wants Panny to build his panels in Buffalo like they're building his batteries in Reno.

Reactions: dc_h
I'm pretty sure that Silevo's claim to fame wasn't that they had the most efficient panels (actually the space industry has much more efficient panels than either SCTY or Panasonic, they just cost an order of magnitude more...). Rather it was that they had very efficient panels that could be produced at a lower cost, so the economic efficiency was very good. Panasonic certainly has manufacturing skills in this area that neither TSLA nor SCTY has. Maybe part of the partnership is tech transfer back to Panasonic, to enable them to make Silevo panels in their existing factories.

Reactions: ggies07
Also, where does it say that TSLA/Panasonic won't be making panels in the Silveo mold? It sounds to me like Elon wants Panny to build his panels in Buffalo like they're building his batteries in Reno.

Doesn't matter. Contingent on the merger going through, Tesla is entering in a long term purchase obligation with Panasonic for panels. So making SolarCity profitable by scaling the sales side down is not possible anymore.

Doesn't matter. Contingent on the merger going through, Tesla is entering in a long term purchase obligation with Panasonic for panels. So making SolarCity profitable by scaling the sales side down is not possible anymore.
I think you're misinterpreting the news and my previous post on cutting sales cost. If the merger goes through, Tesla Energy will be putting Panasonic into the Buffalo gigafactory to execute on their established production plans so they'll have no need to slow their growth. I was implying that SCTY as a standalone company could be cash-flow positive with one phone call, merged with TSLA there's no need.

If this merger happens, the traditional 80% install growth can easily be maintained within the framework of slashing sales cost in half. Under TSLA they will have considerably more demand than the gigfactory can produce from day 1. I mean, there's 400k Model 3 reservations out there just waiting for Tesla Energy to knock on their door. Where is that number by the time Panasonic is pumping panels in Buffalo at any serious pace? 1M? 2M?

Online purchasing is already starting for SCTY. Even if the merger doesn't happen, we've still passed the tipping point of sales cost and they can trim down to $.50/W rather rapidly. Once the streamlined loan and PPA offerings get any online sales traction at all, it's game over.

It's good that they keep raising funding, but it's strange that no terms or rates were given for the last two deals. They have generally provided more information on project financing deals in the past, although not always for tax equity deals. It makes me think that the terms may not be good.

Tesla to create another Gigafactory-type deal with Panasonic through SolarCity Buffalo plant, Silevo is still in play

[...]
A SolarCity spokesperson sent us the following statement:

“SolarCity/Silevo technology remains an important and applicable component of the end solar module. Both SolarCity/Silevo and Panasonic have been working on similar cell architecture on similar process equipment already. Together we will combine the best cell components from both and integrate them into the new solar module that will be produced in Buffalo, NY. Manufacturing is expected to begin during the summer of 2017. “

From the short term thread. So the guess that it's a merged IP was correct. The cell+panel combo will be incorporating both companies IP to produce the panels. So I'd not say the Silevo IP is worthless ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
The more I'm thinking on this partnership...couldn't this mostly be about the planned ultimate expansion of the Buffalo factory to 5 GW and quickly fleshing out the supply chain using Panasonic's existing business relationships? Panasonic and Tesla collaboration has already proven to yield great results in the Gigafactory efficiency and the Buffalo site is still a great deal with cheap hydro and free building for the right business entity...with the right product and plan. I can see how this is good for NY and ultimately the business goal (SolarCity, Tesla Energy, Panasonic) of "accelerating the transition to clean energy". I suppose after it's announced it will become clear...

Last edited:
I think the Panasonic agreement speaks to their production expertise. Unknown impact to existing scty tech. Combining best in breed global manufacturing expertise, in place of very limited production expertise of scty is a big improvement. It reduces investment requirements from Tesla, and puts control under a global leader. I believe it was Intl Professor noting how mergers can make both companies better, by using superior management of one company, to make the junior company better. We'll know more on the 28th, but I rate the acquisition of Panasonic expertise to run the plant a big win and smart move. F the pundits and let SA say what they will, do the right thing and it will pay off in the long run.

Combining best in breed global manufacturing expertise, in place of very limited production expertise of scty is a big improvement.

We were told that SolarCity did have the expertise to bring production to scale and that Tesla was working with SolarCity to increase the density of production. Panasonic is only at 900 MW capacity compared to SolarCity's 100 MW capacity. Not even in the top ten among PV manufacturers globally.

The two issues weighing down SCTY were regulatory uncertainty and poor management hampering their ability to access capital markets and excessive sales cost. All Elon needed to do with this merger effort was to buy time.

• The regulatory landscape seems to have shifted as a clear backlash against utility corruption of PUCs has rippled across the West.
  • Online SolarCity sales have begun in beta form down in South Carolina and I predict will rapidly spread to all SolarCity markets cutting sales cost in half.
  • Nearly $1B in new cash has been raised with seemingly little effort over the last couple months.
  • Telsa has provided a clear diagram of Panasonic running the show in Buffalo and ramping beyond 1GW.
  • The political uncertainty of the spring/summer has given way to a likely progressive takeover in the Senate.

SCTY needed to get costs under control after the Nevada debacle and get past the elections. With all that achieved and then some, should a holder of copious SCTY LEAPs not wish for a post-election double squeeze that puts the kibosh on this merger? Could a co-marketed TSLA/SCTY partnership not provide nearly the same integrated solar/storage/grid services products?

I still think the best 5 year plan for TSLA/SCTY is to merge and then sell off the car business in 3-5 years, but just thinking selfishly.....

I'm sure the next few quarterly reports will be ugly as hell for SCTY, but there's nothing stopping them from standing on their own and weathering the storm since they now have the cash and a plan to cut costs.

Reactions: doggusfluffy
West Virginia court orders EPA to track coal job losses from pollution regulations
Judge John Preston Bailey of the District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia agreed with coal mining company Murray Energy's argument that the EPA must more thoroughly track job losses as a result of its regulations. EPA had argued that authority was "discretionary" and that existing efforts were sufficient.

Coal and fossil fuel groups welcomed the ruling, but the Hill notes it may be largely symbolic, as any analysis of job impacts may not yield policy changes at the EPA. The court gave the agency 14 days to file a plan to track employment effects in the coal sector.

GREEN GROUP OFFERS NEW ELECTION TOOL: ClimateTruth.org Action today is launching a new website — NoFossilFuelMoney.org — tracking contributions from oil and gas, electric utilities, coal mining and related sectors to both congressional challengers and incumbents. The group says Senate and congressional candidates have already received $29.6 million in contributions from fossil fuel organizations this cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.