Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please point to specific filing and page number (or a search keyword)?

You used the word 'potentially', so what's your math behind 421mln?

Start on the latest page and reiview each new filing all the way back to April 1st.

By the way, Solarcity hit 6.5gwh today... Might be peaking just under 7gwh/day this summer... Last summer I think they hit at its highest a few times 3.5gwh.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to make of the price movement over the past week? Very low volume and almost 0 volatility. Time to buy a straddle?

All this news and no press or analyst commentary? Something is going on. The options chain for January is a bit unusual. Something tells me part of this might be because Solar City is not being widely covered or discussed by anyone.

Bank of America, which has a $150 price target for Solar City increased its position by 75% last quarter.

Last edited:
Hey Guys I'm new to this thread but am an investor in Tesla. I have been interested in SCTY for a while but don't fully understand their business model. Can someone give me a quick breakdown of how they are going to make money and when they plan on being profitable. I know I could read this thread but its 150 pages long and...ain't nobody got time for that.

Thanks all

Hey Guys I'm new to this thread but am an investor in Tesla. I have been interested in SCTY for a while but don't fully understand their business model. Can someone give me a quick breakdown of how they are going to make money and when they plan on being profitable. I know I could read this thread but its 150 pages long and...ain't nobody got time for that.

Thanks all

The being profitable part is not in the near future. Some self promotion - simple way to understand solarcity business - The Unstoppable Force Of SolarCity Simplified - SolarCity Corp. (NASDAQ:SCTY) | Seeking Alpha - there are some math errors in that article but think of the QCP (Quarterly Contracted Payments) in the article as QCP + rebates and then the numbers are right.

Basically scty borrows money to give you a solar system. They recover their costs in 10 years or less and you pay them for 20 years. So your system is not profitable to scty for 10 years.

The being profitable part is not in the near future. Some self promotion - simple way to understand solarcity business - The Unstoppable Force Of SolarCity Simplified - SolarCity Corp. (NASDAQ:SCTY) | Seeking Alpha - there are some math errors in that article but think of the QCP (Quarterly Contracted Payments) in the article as QCP + rebates and then the numbers are right.

Basically scty borrows money to give you a solar system. They recover their costs in 10 years or less and you pay them for 20 years. So your system is not profitable to scty for 10 years.

Interesting. Do they make profit off of the grid as well? Or no...

Interesting. Do they make profit off of the grid as well? Or no...

Solarcity makes a profit off each install they do already. Each install is cumulative, adding reliable revenue streams for 20-30 years. Kind of like subscriptions to Netflix, but each customer pays he monthly fee for 20-30 years.

Since demand is very strong in a 40 million rooftop market that has 99% of rooftops yet to be installed, Solarcity is building their company infrastructure to meet that staggering demand(in current 18 state markets). That means hiring a lot of people, building a lot of operations hubs, and constructing massive manufacturing centers unlike we've ever seen before.

That requires capital. More then current revenue can achieve. So, Solarcity has to get capital financing build the company to obtain those long term contracts. This looks like they aren't profitable, but the reality is they are growing the business to meet the seemingly endless demand. At the same time they are doubling, they are reducing all in costs per watt installed which is truly noteworthy since they are growing so rapidly.

As Solarcity reaches an infrastructure level that can handle the rate of installs its achieving with sales, then you will see a massive reversal in accounting profits. This is why Solarcity is so attractive as a long investment. Once growth slows down, they achieve big time profits and essentially will turn to big dividends for investors. Meanwhile, the stock will appreciate significantly giving opportunities for short term/medium term investment vehicle(it trading is your type of thing.)

How they make money is from each customer paying for the electricity the pv system produces. In the future, the grid utility will pay for each systems production just like any other power supplier. This will eventually replace net metering which is essentially the same thing without a direct contract with pv system owner. The truth is distributed solar over the grid is very reliable, extremely responsive and significantly cheaper then centralized power generation. Traditional Utilties know this and are fighting tooth and nail to slow down competition while they figure out a way to corner the solar market before these "new guys" do. It's like what gordon Gecko says, Solarcity and the distributed solar business is "going to eat your lunch" if you don't do something about it and slow these guys down. And that's exactly what a few big Utilties are doing right now, especially in Arizona.

Last edited:

Not quite right. On all of the tax equity investments they have made the systems are cash positive within year one of installing them. To show a gap profit will take a long time because they are growing so fast. They build a new distribution center like every 25 days and hire 300-400 people a month.

They also have a giant factory they will use to produce very cheap high efficient panels and they did not have to pay to build the factory or buy the equipment. When they get the kinks worked out of that factory it will add substantial value.

Solarcity hit another 6.1gwh day yesterday... That 5 in a row since I started count last week. This is significant stuff. That's over 6 nuclear power facitlities worth of production. Solarcity has developed that capability in just eight years where it would take decades to develop the equivelent amount of nuclear plants. Elon said last week at the utility conference if you built a solar+battery plant on current land of nuclear facilities you could produce more energy then the nuclear plant can, and that's today with today's technology. The truly wild thing is Solarcity will easily double this production by this time next year, literally putting the equivelent of 6 nuclear plants in operation in just 1 year. That is seriously some astounding horse pucky.

How California plans to integrate distributed resources into its ISO market | Utility Dive

Aggregation all these distributed systems is the name of the game and California ISO is chomping at the bit to do it. Major win for Solarcity and investors when it happens...

Solarcity hit another 6.1gwh day yesterday... That 5 in a row since I started count last week. This is significant stuff. That's over 6 nuclear power facitlities worth of production.
That's 6 nuclear power facilities worth of production for one hour only. Nukes can do that day in and day out, year round, 24h a day. Apples and oranges.

But I agree with your larger point, which is that SolarCity is writing "we are coming for you" in large letters on the wall, and the utilities can't help but see it.

Solarcity hit another 6.1gwh day yesterday... That 5 in a row since I started count last week. This is significant stuff. That's over 6 nuclear power facitlities worth of production. Solarcity has developed that capability in just eight years where it would take decades to develop the equivelent amount of nuclear plants. Elon said last week at the utility conference if you built a solar+battery plant on current land of nuclear facilities you could produce more energy then the nuclear plant can, and that's today with today's technology. The truly wild thing is Solarcity will easily double this production by this time next year, literally putting the equivelent of 6 nuclear plants in operation in just 1 year. That is seriously some astounding horse pucky.

How California plans to integrate distributed resources into its ISO market | Utility Dive

Aggregation all these distributed systems is the name of the game and California ISO is chomping at the bit to do it. Major win for Solarcity and investors when it happens...

Not to stifle your enthusiasm but a nuclear power plant makes a GWh, every hour. So an average nuke plant can make 24 GWh each day (except for outages/trips). So 6.1 GWh is 6 nuclear power plants for just ONE hour, while it took Solar City all day to make that much.

Still impressive, though.

"Curb your enthusiasm" is my mantra to myself for the day...

I was thinking capacity of which solarcity is about at 1.5GW which a little more then 1 nuke plant, not 6 as you helped me see. Although I just read the the average nuclear plant produces approx. 14.6gwh/day. Solarcity might hit that number in 2016, but could double that number by 2017, which then, we'd see nuclear power plants worth of new distributed solar generation come online annually... Again, I might be too enthusiastic, but in two years we might see an entire nuke plant of DG come online and potentially 2 more in 2018 if growth rates stays where it's at currently. That still beats decades of equivalent nuclear development required to get nukes up and running.

Last edited:
"That had to be one of the most deceitful, deliberately misleading sales tactics I have ever seen."

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?21826-Solar-City-flakes

I know your trolling the internet deep for people that might back up your misguided ideas but Please do not link other random forums that are not relevant

edit: was going to delete my post because of snipiness but since I was quoted I will say the link may very well have been a relavant form to the discussion I stopped reading when I saw the OP had a post count of 12 and the name "IamadoorKnob". I do believe there is a rule against linking to other forums though.

Last edited:
This is the part I do not understand. There is so much video evidence out there of Musk being brutally honest and people being convinced he is lying. How can so many shorts be convinced he is lying about this thing or that.

Here is the rub Blake: He's not lying, no matter how they twist things they can not make it so. I found Musk searching for the least evil Billionaires in the world! That right there should tell you something. Check me if I'm wrong Blake?

"They misled us and we feel ripped off. And there is no way to tell if what we are generating is correctly going towards our electricity usage, so you can't verify that everything is working correctly."

"I am so angry that we did this and wish we could get out of it."

Only 19 years remaining on the contract.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/solar-energy/solarcity.html

No one knows who the heck is writing in there. The reviews are so polarized. Why are there no reviews with 3 stars or 4 stars? For about last 1.5 years every place I have seen there have been only extremely bad reviews. But they are literally doubling every year and the 'market share' is growing. How is that possible. Somehow there is a disconnect between internet and reality.

Will reality catchup to the internet? or will the trolls get tired and stop spamming? I have no idea which way it's going to go.

Personally I trust Musk. I would much rather give benefit of doubt to SolarCity and their track record than to random reviews on internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.