Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found it interesting that most articles I have read from local Nevada press are pro solar. Here's one worth reading:

If Nevada officials hoped the national impact of torpedoing the state’s net metering policies would die down, it appears not to be happening. Business and environmental media are folding the Nevada dispute into other stories, and new developments continue to unfold. Some of that coverage has been devastating to economic development in Nevada as other Western states carve out their own renewable niches...........................https://www.newsreview.com/reno/net-loss/content?oid=20308969

Would be a site to behold.

Interesting watching the presidential debate, one candidate had no fracking stance which would be a positive benefit to Solarcity.

Secondly, I saw this today and my jaw dropped: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000500281

By this reasoning, more people could potentially afford solar sooner which also would be a significant positive for Solarcity.

Add this up, if things go this direction in the election, then Solarcity could really see a big big push starting 2017.

Interesting watching the presidential debate, one candidate had no fracking stance which would be a positive benefit to Solarcity.

Secondly, I saw this today and my jaw dropped: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000500281

By this reasoning, more people could potentially afford solar sooner which also would be a significant positive for Solarcity.

Add this up, if things go this direction in the election, then Solarcity could really see a big big push starting 2017.
Just posted the video to my facebook.

Trying to keep direct political comments out of this as much as possible, it's absolutely shocking to hear him drop this commentary on CNBC. It's simple common sense Capitalism and speaks to the shortsightedness of today's "investors" and CNBC types. Gordon Gecko on the other hand sees the fairly obvious truth that eroding buying power for the lower 90% is the quickest way to an anemic economy.

As we move along it's becoming quite clear that the barrier isn't going to be price or regulatory uncertainty, it's lack of information and ease of transition. Solar is just now viable in most markets at grid parity and folks just need one spring/summer to educated themselves on their options/regulations.

Then we're simply left with the annoyance of transition. Who is best in that arena?

I can't watch video where I am at. Can someone please summarize the video? Thank you in advance! (it seems like in 2016 they would have software that would provide some sort of transcript with each video)

India’s growing coal glut stalls mines : Renew Economy

This is interesting. Coal plants in India have declining utilization and are at risk of becoming stranded assets. Not the argument in the next to last paragraph. If some major industrial customers defect from the coal centered grid, this could force the distribution utilities to raise rates on residential customers. And this would pave the way for rooftop solar.

There is a potential strategy option here for a player like SolarCity. Conside this SolarCity builds out a national foot print for commercial and industrial solar. Thus, the enter new states where perhaps the residential market is not yet attractive. In these areas, growing out the commercial solar base puts pressure on utilities. Once the utility raises residential rates to offset revenue lost in the commercial segment, then SolarCity springs into the residential segment as well. It's a bit devious, but it could work. Also in a place like Nevada, SolarCity could continue to build its commercial business. This would save a few jobs and keep pouring pressure on NV Energy. Net metering is not much of an issue for commercial, since demand charge peak shaving pays for Powerwalls.

solar-sponge-energex.jpg

This illustrates how hot water load can be used as a solar sponge to help move demand away from peaks.

This illustrates how hot water load can be used as a solar sponge to help move demand away from peaks.

I was thinking today about how hot those panels must get up on the roof at 3pm on a Philadelphia summer day. Do you foresee some kind of hybrid PV/hot water solar setup as being the standard at some point? With a massive pile of heat stored for a hour or two of energy production?

I can't even imagine how much heat could be pulled off a roof in an afternoon of panels baking under the sun. Is there a way to have a closed loop heat transfer system covering the panels?

I was thinking today about how hot those panels must get up on the roof at 3pm on a Philadelphia summer day. Do you foresee some kind of hybrid PV/hot water solar setup as being the standard at some point? With a massive pile of heat stored for a hour or two of energy production?

I can't even imagine how much heat could be pulled off a roof in an afternoon of panels baking under the sun. Is there a way to have a closed loop heat transfer system covering the panels?

Yeah, I've wondered the same thing about hybrid PV/hot water systems. Does anyone know why these aren't more common? As solar installations get cheaper, something like this could be a means for SolarCity to push more product on the customer.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure how the economics work out, but a company called SunDrum claims their hybrid system captures 70% of solar energy. Note that in addition to providing hot water, the thermal system increases the efficiency of the PV's by keeping them cool.

performance3.png

Last edited:
Bipartisan Energy Bill Inches Towards Finish Line | The National Law Review

get ready soon, looks like the bill is going to be passed with the Reid-King amendment. Not a single senator has tried to pull it out as a condition for passage, so, at this point, it looks to be just a matter of when. When looks like next week.

again, this would stop state by state net metering changes to setting a national standard for making those net metering changes, including all solar users to be grandfathered as well. This is a big big boon for Solarcity for it reduces much of the arbitrary regulatory uncertainty state by state politics embodies. Now they all have to consider the benefits of net metering before they can make any changes, and this will be federal law.

I took some time to read up on the details around this bill and it's recent history.....could be absolutely HUGE for SolarCity. Much like lifting of the oil export ban was the real impetus for ITC extension, this one looks like it's all about LNG exports. Considering how well the ITC extension was negotiated, I'm expect a very robust return for solar in this bill. These fracking interests are rightfully freaking out that their days are numbered and are willing to undermine their future to keep their heads above water for a few more years.

Locking in grandfathering nationwide and limiting the shenanigans that IOUs can pull cannot be overstated here. Having nearly absolute 20 year certainty on the revenue side at the point of sale is 1000x more important than the ITC being extended. Unlike the passage of ITC extension, this bill helps SCTY much more than local installers because SCTY is entirely dependent on future production revenue certainty.

This piece, followed by a summer of increased customer/investor understanding of the model, followed by a Dem victory in November should make my 2017 calls gold. And that's really what's most important here. :)

Very interesting :

Hillary Clinton fundraiser will take place at Lyndon Rive's house.

Hillary Clinton back in Atherton for another fundraiser | News | Mountain View Online |

solarcity has been on a lobbying spree lately to include this candidate. However, this could be problematic since Hillary is also supported heavily by warren buffet and as we know, there is a clear fight happening between distributed solar and buffet monopoly utilities. I wonder who would win out on any policy favors? It's a bit of a playing with political fire here for Solarcity. On the other hand, if Hillary can broker a deal between buffet and Solarcity by promoting infrastructure as a service for the utiltiy model, then maybe it could be a very positive thing. But, my gut tells me the highest bidder might be the winner and buffet has deep pockets and connections to Hillary so...

I think there are many within Solarcity executive management staff that are supportive of Bernie sanders given the mark Ruffalo connection and his fierce support of 100% renewable grid. So, I wouldn't discount smooth shift to Bernie sanders support if Bernie ends up the nominee. However, I feel this would be a tough transition for buffet to make. So in the case of Bernie becoming the nominee, Solarcity could have a greater probability of gaining he upper hand on buffet and/or getting favorable terms on a infrastructure as service utiltiy model design.

Presidental season is wild, isn't it?

View attachment 114542

I think there's ample opportunity in using water pumping, too, and in my Californian mind, far more so: many water suppliers have networks of water that have storage that requires pumping to get to. A lot of this pumping can be shifted from one part of the day to another. Unfortunately, a lot of the pumping equipment was perfectly sized for 100% utilization for all day use, but a program of upgrading to efficient dynamic pumping during their regular facility maintenance and rehabilitation could slowly turn this into another big sponge, especially in California. Or, they could attempt to shuffle their current pumping assets around to bring in efficient big dynamic pumps in the biggest pump loads and shuffle those pumps down the chain into smaller facilities, raising the size of each pump per pipe, increasing the opportunity for dynamic use. Like I said, in California, this would be a huge sponge.

I'm concerned that you can't shift a lot of hot water use, simply because it tends to be cold outside and not much sunlight exactly when you need it: when you get back from work and are all dirty and need to take a shower (for physical work with long commutes and long hours), or for office workers, when they get up in the morning (or are done with their morning exercise). Granted, for physical workers who shower in the afternoon, that's a match made in heaven, but essentially there's no shifting going on there anyway -- that's just straight up use during peak supply.

solarcity has been on a lobbying spree lately to include this candidate. However, this could be problematic since Hillary is also supported heavily by warren buffet and as we know, there is a clear fight happening between distributed solar and buffet monopoly utilities. I wonder who would win out on any policy favors? It's a bit of a playing with political fire here for Solarcity. On the other hand, if Hillary can broker a deal between buffet and Solarcity by promoting infrastructure as a service for the utiltiy model, then maybe it could be a very positive thing. But, my gut tells me the highest bidder might be the winner and buffet has deep pockets and connections to Hillary so...

I think there are many within Solarcity executive management staff that are supportive of Bernie sanders given the mark Ruffalo connection and his fierce support of 100% renewable grid. So, I wouldn't discount smooth shift to Bernie sanders support if Bernie ends up the nominee. However, I feel this would be a tough transition for buffet to make. So in the case of Bernie becoming the nominee, Solarcity could have a greater probability of gaining he upper hand on buffet and/or getting favorable terms on a infrastructure as service utiltiy model design.

Presidental season is wild, isn't it?

After Tuesday's primaries, (Ohio, Florida, Illinois), there should be a great deal of color added to the status of the election. It will prove very telling how each candidate handles today's events in Chicago.

Last edited:
After Tuesday's primaries, (Ohio, Florida, Illinois), there should be a great deal of color added to the status of the election. It will prove very telling how each candidate handles today's events in Chicago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/12/us/trump-rally-in-chicago-canceled-after-violent-scuffles.html?_r=0
CHICAGO — Donald J. Trump abruptly canceled a large rally here on Friday night as scuffles and shouting matches erupted on the arena floor between large groups of his supporters and protesters angered by his campaign.
Cable news networks broadcast live scenes of chaos inside the arena that showed people on both sides screaming at, punching and shoving each other.

I'm not sure that's a good sign, overall. But better not get too far into politics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/12/us/trump-rally-in-chicago-canceled-after-violent-scuffles.html?_r=0

I'm not sure that's a good sign, overall. But better not get too far into politics.

I'm not sure that's a good sign, overall. But better not get too far into politics.[/QUOTE]

I realize that the forum rules dictate the content and tenor of the discussion. However, it would be disingenuous to say that climate science, environmentalism, and politics are not directly related to SCTY investor discourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.