Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does solar power have a bright future in Houston? SolarCity thinks so

SolarCity on Monday will begin offering its rooftop solar systems in the Houston area, the California company’s third Texas market, after Dallas and El Paso. The company said will open a Houston warehouse soon and hire about 100 people for sales and installation.

“This is a big deal for us,” said Lyndon Rive, SolarCity’s co-founder and chief executive. “We’ve been eyeing the market for awhile.”

Will Hillary Clinton be elected POTUS?

Will she choose a strong progressive (I.e. Elizabeth Warren) as her running mate to coalesce the Democratic Party?

If she is elected, will her down ballot influence regain Democratic control of the Senate and House of Representative?

All of these potential political events will dramatically impact whether or not Hillary's solar power plan is implemented and to what degree.

Since I believe climate change is the greatest challenge facing mankind, I am campaigning for the Democratic Party.

There doesn't seem to be much SolarCity news so far this week so I linked a couple related stories of energy industry doom and gloom...which makes me feel better about their future "green" business model.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/u...-left-in-the-dust.html?ref=energy-environment
Mr. Anschutz is also planning to build the TransWest Express, a 730-mile power line that would take Wyoming’s wind energy to Las Vegas and California. Construction on both projects is expected to begin late this year or early 2017.

Texas facing massive well cleanup costs after oil bust

Texas officials predict the number of orphaned wells could soar to 12,000, which would be nearly 25 percent more than what regulators can't keep up with now. Landowners, meanwhile, are growing restless with abandoned pump jacks and damage while drillers warn that crackdowns would only put them out of business faster at a time when oil has finally crept from below $30 a barrel to about $50.

• Informative
Reactions: yesla and replicant
Wow. This is the utility commission charged with protecting the people of Nevada from the effects of this monopoly. The people of Nevada are paying for a bunch of lawyers to spam the internet in support of stealing their money. Hilarious.

How are these things not bigger news? The outrage angle is certainly juicy enough.

Nest is pushing further into the energy business with SolarCity partnership

The move is, in part, a marketing play. Nest is introducing the feature with SolarCity, the solar panel installer, with a promotional kick: SolarCity customers can get a free Nest thermostat.

For Nest, the service also signals its attempt to break further from its primary (arguably struggling) category — smart-home devices — into the business of utilities and energy services.

Along those lines partnering with national and local building developers as a solar subcontractor seems like it would be an explosive business opportunity with low sales costs.
What It Really Means to Require Solar Panels on All New Buildings

FLARE-UPS POSSIBLE AT FTC SOLAR SESSION: Two former top FERC officials will face off this morning over rooftop solar incentives at a Federal Trade Commission workshop on protections for solar energy consumers, net metering and competition issues. Former Republican FERC Commissioner Philip Moeller, now with the investor-owned utility trade group Edison Electric Institute, and former Democratic FERC Chairman Jon Wellinghoff, who recently joined rooftop solar leasing company SolarCity, are likely to liven up the all-day event, given that they rarely saw eye-to-eye during their FERC days. And they now represent opposing interests in the fight over how much utilities should pay rooftop solar owners who feed excess power to the grid. Excerpts of Moeller’s prepared remarks obtained by ME indicate he will suggest the fight over net metering is an economic one that includes how much rooftop solar customers should “pay for their use of the power grid.” Utilities have long contended non-solar customers should not have to bear the burden of those costs.

The event will also feature opening remarks by FTC Chairwoman Edith Ramirez as well as Solar Energy Industries Association Interim President Tom Kimbis and state utility regulators in Wisconsin and Washington.

Worst case scenario for me - all underwater LEAPS will be effectively written off. I kinda dread having to understand the tax implications.

Pig picture though I think this is great. There was always a slight lack of cohesion in Tesla Energy and SCTY dealings. They would be synergistic with each other but also have to make their products work with third parties at the company seam. Now there would be no seam and no need to worry about third parties unless there's an actual business need to do so.

Does anybody have advice for a novice investor that has long positions in both companies. I assume TSLA will be down tomorrow and SCTY will jump up. No intention of selling any of my TSLA stock on this news. Should I sell some of my SCTY stock tomorrow as a hedge in case the deal doesn't go through? Should I sell some SCTY and buy TSLA at depressed price? Should I hold altogether and wait for deal to go through? Any advice/thoughts greatly appreciated?

Are there any options experts around? Since this deal is a buyout via stock, not cash, this website (link) says things work differently, namely:

All-Stock Offer
With an all-stock merger, the number of shares covered by a call option is changed to adjust for the value of the buyout. The options on the bought-out company will change to options on the buyer stock at the same strike price, but for a different number of shares. Normally, one option is for 100 shares of the underlying stock. For example, company A buys company B, exchanging 1/2 share of A for each share of B. Options purchased on company B stock would change to options on company A, with 50 shares of stock delivered if the option is exercised.​

[I underlined "same strike price" for emphasis.] Can anyone confirm this is true? Same strike price for SCTY->TSLA options? The current offer is each SCTY share becomes .122 to .131 TSLA shares. Let's say I'm holding 10 Jan'18 $25 SCTY call options I paid $10 each for. So instead of losing $9k or so ($10k -> $1k), do I really get 1 Jan'18 TSLA $25 call option? (I assume fractional options are lost?) In that case I make something like $7.5k ($10k -> $17.5k)?

Update: rereading it, clearly I'd end up with 10 J'18 TSLA $25 "call options" where the "options" are somehow for 12 or 13 shares instead of 100? How would that even work?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: dakh
Dang. Cost basis over $42 :eek: Was hoping for short squeeze later this year/early next year to make my money back and then some. Now I'm in a stock that's already sky high priced. Can now officially kiss my M3 goodbye.

Big picture agreed probably good. Real question is what happens to Chanos?

Status
Not open for further replies.