Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[Usual caveat: I don't fully understand SCTY's books and could be easily be wrong]

Seriously, who does?

Look at the price targets attached to this company from the likes of Stifel, Morgan Stanley, Raymond James and Deutsche just 6-9 months ago.

Range from about $60 to $105. Buy, Buy, Buy, Overweight, Market Outperfom etc.

What's Tesla paying again for SCTY?

Where are all the competing offers if this is the bargain of the century?

This is a financial black box bleeding cash - trading as a solar company.

And mind you, most stock indices are at all-time highs, interest rates are in historical ZIRP/NIRP territory.

What happens to companies like SCTY in the next severe downturn or a future recession?

But back to the bull echo chamber without any disturbing bear noise. It was fun.

Last edited:
In fairness to the bulls this is the industry leader in what will clearly be a half trillion dollar market quite quickly. Oh, and it's also chaired by today's Henry Ford to boot.

It amazes me that we are incapable of merging the bull and bear perspectives into one semi-rational picture of reality, but I guess that's indicative of the state of all things in America today.

Seriously, who does?

Look at the price targets attached to this company from the likes of Stifel, Morgan Stanley, Raymond James and Deutsche just 6-9 months ago.

Range from about $60 to $105. Buy, Buy, Buy, Overweight, Market Outperfom etc.

What's Tesla paying again for SCTY?

Where are all the competing offers if this is the bargain of the century?

This is a financial black box bleeding cash - trading as a solar company.

And mind you, most stock indices are at all-time highs, interest rates are in historical ZIRP/NIRP territory.

What happens to companies like SCTY in the next severe downturn or a future recession?

But back to the bull echo chamber without any disturbing bear noise. It was fun.

1) You're wrong.
2) My view is SolarCity. When you look at who owns both companies, SolarCity was always an unofficial part of Tesla. The bargain price of $25 is probably intended to give Tesla a bargain, that in turn will benefit SolarCity because it will make it much easier for Tesla to maximize the value created by SolarCity. It will be almost impossible for SolarCity to realize it's optimal value as a stand alone company. However, when SolarCity becomes part of Tesla, it's not hard to see how SolarCity could be worth $10-$15 billion today.

• Disagree
Reactions: AmishEV
1) You're wrong.
2) My view is SolarCity. When you look at who owns both companies, SolarCity was always an unofficial part of Tesla. The bargain price of $25 is probably intended to give Tesla a bargain, that in turn will benefit SolarCity because it will make it much easier for Tesla to maximize the value created by SolarCity. It will be almost impossible for SolarCity to realize it's optimal value as a stand alone company. However, when SolarCity becomes part of Tesla, it's not hard to see how SolarCity could be worth $10-$15 billion today.

This makes zero sense. Are you just making sugar up to defend your position? SCTY value is what it is. Tesla values it 10% more than market because it can be integrated into Tesla's energy branch and it fits well within Tesla's roadmap. It's as simple as that.

• Disagree
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
Anybody have the lowdown on the merger timeline? My understanding is the 45 go shop period started Aug 1, then when it's done they pick a date for the vote which will be as soon after assuming they get SEC FTC? approval. Is that right, partially right?

Also, regarding SCTY's status. Musk has a strong tendency for buying things when on sale, even for a very wealthy person, in fact most of his business ideas seem to center around finding a cheap/more economical way of doing something, that's the whole plan for Tesla remember, and that's how they got the Fremont factory. The finances appear to be rat's nest right now, but I'm guessing that in a year or two, maybe sooner, it will look like Tesla "got" a great deal on SCTY.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for explaining. If I may, I'd like to add some more questions. Sorry if they are very basic, as I said, I ignored SCTY till now

The cost of $3.05/W is a solid improvement over last quarter, but still too high. Specifically, sales was at $0.71/W, and this should be under $0.55/W. Other cost components are creeping up a bit too. So I'd like to see cost drop below $2.80/W, and management is targeting one of their lowest ever $/W by Q4.

The letter seems to suggest that the best way to reduce costs per W (esp sales) is simply to sell more. Yet they guided down on sales volume? Is my basic understanding on these assumptions right? And if so, how does that square with lowest costs per W ever by Q4?

Asset financing was at $2.54/W. This is a disappointment. Management claims that it faced project financing delays owing to disruption from acquisition offer. So they should be financing at least 100% of the cost per Watt to have positive cash flow (allowing for project financing, of course).

Asset financing is the amount of financing they get measured by how much they have to pay for the costs of goods installed?

Remember that it burns through cash at a rate of $0.5/W just to keep growing the book, but it is under no obligation to keep growing at such a rate. So low cash levels puts growth at risk.

But what then with their own gigafactory on NY? If they don't sell anymore and liquidate all their sales channels, can they liquidate their production just as easily?

Recurring cash generation from the PowerCo was $86M. So if the financing gap were under $0.1/W, the PowerCo support 900 to 1000 MW per year. Thus, it is not absolutely essential to eliminate the financing gap, but they do need to shrink the gap quite a bit.

What is PowerCo? When you say recurring cash generation, that's the cash SolarCity gets from the electricity sold on the panels they installed? They don't need to share this cash with the homeowner who had them install? Or is the number a net number and that part is already subtracted?

Grid services may open up yet another revenue stream, but utilities move at a glacial pace. It's nice to see some progress, but I don't expect grid services to become a major revenue stream anytime soon.

What grid services exactly are we talking about? Installing large solar arrays as a utility subcontractor? What's the supposed margin on such activity? What's SCTY's unique advantage in such a market?

Finally, I understand SCTY is a highly leveraged company. How is it protected from future rate rises? For example should the Fed rises rates in September, is SCTY going to feel the effects of that on its outstanding debts pretty soon or is most of it locking in for the long term?

About the PowerCo, what I understand is that when SCTY sells PPA-s to customers they basically build the solar installation and sell the power it generates to the customer at a fixed price per kWh. That recurring revenue is what shows up as PowerCo and should grow as a means of install base expansion.

Asset financing is basically securing funding either through tax equity or other means to cover the cost of installations. Tax equity as I understand is a method where company that's due to pay taxes can instead invest said taxes in tax equity qualifying projects i.e. SCTY panel installations. They then get a certain amount of recurring revenue back from it I think. Am not 100% sure on what they get back to be fair, but I have understood that from the assumed 20+ year lifecycle the asset backed part is flipped in ownership on some year (10? 15?) to SCTY ownership. So up to that time the asset is generating revenue to the company who provided the tax equity and then a flip occurs and the revenue goes to SCTY from there onwards. So if a customer renews that's already pure profit because the assets are paid for and running (ok, there is inverter swap priced in at every 10y I think).

That's what I have gathered on the financing of SCTY in the last 1.5 months since the deal was announced and I've tried to figure out what SCTY does :)

Thanks for explaining. If I may, I'd like to add some more questions. Sorry if they are very basic, as I said, I ignored SCTY till now

The letter seems to suggest that the best way to reduce costs per W (esp sales) is simply to sell more. Yet they guided down on sales volume? Is my basic understanding on these assumptions right? And if so, how does that square with lowest costs per W ever by Q4?

Asset financing is the amount of financing they get measured by how much they have to pay for the costs of goods installed?

But what then with their own gigafactory on NY? If they don't sell anymore and liquidate all their sales channels, can they liquidate their production just as easily?

What is PowerCo? When you say recurring cash generation, that's the cash SolarCity gets from the electricity sold on the panels they installed? They don't need to share this cash with the homeowner who had them install? Or is the number a net number and that part is already subtracted?

What grid services exactly are we talking about? Installing large solar arrays as a utility subcontractor? What's the supposed margin on such activity? What's SCTY's unique advantage in such a market?

Cost per Watt is a mixture of overhead and variable expenses. Certainly G&A are fixed, but sales and installations are mostly variable, especially if you allow for workforce reductions. (Note that SunPower is laying off 1500 workers this years, but I've not heard any suggestion that SolarCity is contemplating such a reduction). Simply holding production at 200 MW/quarter should reduce cost pressures associated with trying to grow production, more efficient marketing at low volume, less workforce recruitment and training, fewer new field offices. lower G&A complexity, etc. So basically I think letting off the gas pedal will improve $/W.

Asset financing is on a basis of more than just COGS, but all the elements that go into cost/W, inclusive of SG&A. Additionally, the have the potential to finance more than just the cost/W. In theory, they could finance the full value per W, though partner investors would want SolarCity to retain some of this value anyway as good risk management. That is, for example, SolarCity retains the full value of the optional renewal terms, and this is enough to assure partners that SolarCity will do a good job servicing both customers and solar systems so as not to undermine the renewal value. Altogether SolarCity retains an NPV of $2.2B, and this stake in payment stream is important to all partners offering financing to other parts of that stream.

If SolarCity manufactures more than it can consume, it certainly has the option to sell panels wholesale. Especially as TE/SC produces integrated products, this does open up international markets for SolarCity's manufacturing capacity. I think we are looking at a ramp that reaches full capacity around 2019. I'm pretty confident that global market for solar panels is robust enough in that timeframe.

SolarCity conceptually divides its business into a DevCo, which sales and installs solar systems, and PowerCo, which finances and holds the value of those solar systems for life. (They should also speak of a FabCo too, in my opinion.) So the $2.2B NPV is the value of the book of business the PowerCo holds. As this net cash flows comes in, it is called recurring cash generation. This cash is not distributed to customers nor to any financing partners (that is already netted out). Rather this is net cash flowing to common shareholders. So in principle, SolarCity can reinvest it or use it to pay recourse debt. (As an aside, I'd love to see Tesla issue preferred stock having a dividend based on a portion of the recurring cash generation. Thus, Tesla common shares would be a pure growth play, while dividend investors would be attracted to preferred shares and so generate capital for growth.)

We're still waiting on details about grid services. Generally this is about aggregating distributed solar, battery and power management capacities to help utilities manage their power supply and costs better. For example, if a utility substation is stretched to its transformer capacity limits, it may need to spend tens of millions of dollars to upgrade the transformers. Even at below capacity, peak power demands on transformers stress those assets and cause them to age faster. So a combination of distributed energy resources (DERs) placed downstream of transformers can reduce peak demands and help the utility avoid costly replacement and upgrades. There are utilities that are willing to spend $20M or so to reduce peak substation loads by 1 MW in lieu of even more costly upgrades. It's not hard to see how batteries and solar can do this for a lot less than $20M, but you have to place these assets somewhere. So the advantage that SolarCity has in this space is that it is really good at placing and maintaining these DERs. Regulated utilities are generally barred from providing behind-the-meter solutions to their customers. But this is exactly what SolarCity does. Naturally, Tesla Energy wants to get in on this, but without SolarCity, TE does not have sales and installation capabilities to do this behind-the-meter work. It would have to build up this capability or simply act as a supplier to other installers. So the acquisition of SolarCity is one of the most attractive ways for Tesla to enter this market. Consider also that SolarCity's existing customer base is also a useful asset for TE. If a utility wanted a peak power solution for a substation where SolarCity customers already exist, then TE/SC could easily persuade customers to add Powerwalls and other power management devices to their solar systems. So TE/SC would be able to deploy rapid relief to a utility and build up from there over time. So the existing customer base has option value for grid solutions above and beyond the $2.2B NPV.

The downside to all this, however, is that it depends heavily on the willingness of utilities to seek out lower cost solutions, which TE/SC would be delighted to provide. If utilities want to resist these solutions, they need only convince PUCs and other regulatory bodies to allow them to put higher cost solutions on to ratepayers. So the politics around all of this is pretty sensitive. SolarCity will likely need to soften up on net metering to get utilities to play ball on grid services. But this is exactly what must happen to lower the cost of power for all ratepayers and solar owners. Simply put, SolarCity needs to transform utilities from being competitors to being customers. It's very tricky politically. And SolarCity may even need to back off on aggressive solar growth to avoid antagonizing the utilities. Tesla, with its position in EVs, holds some power here because utilities want to be able to grow revenue on EV power consumption. It is practically the only growth opportunity for utilities in developed countries. So TE/SC could find a stronger seat at the table combined than as separate entities.

Finally, I understand SCTY is a highly leveraged company. How is it protected from future rate rises? For example should the Fed rises rates in September, is SCTY going to feel the effects of that on its outstanding debts pretty soon or is most of it locking in for the long term?
Of course they're leveraged, the entire company is designed to grow at 80%+ year after year if not more. There's no way to do that without taking on tons of debt.

As for the second question....there doesn't seem to be a clear answer. Before the Nevada debacle, SCTY was on it's way to(or already) "financing more than 100%" of total install costs. So on the surface that allows for a somewhat sustainable business model. There are obviously copious other costs outside of install costs, the weight and effect of which is hard to ascertain.

The big thing most people don't seem to get is customer acquisition cost are the only real variable left in the equation. While hardware costs and direct install costs have steadily been minimized, sales cost is all over the place fluctuating from $.55/W to $.67/W back down to $.59/W then up to $.91/W. That has a HUGE impact on the overall sustainability and efficiency of the business model. Not to mention that each degree of sustainability then makes the entire investment more safe and therefore cheaper. In the other direction, uncertainty in the marketplace due to corrupt regulators causes huge customer acquisition cost with in turn causes financial uncertainty and MORE increased cost to finance.

What we've seen over the last year is a war of information between the utility interests and SolarCity. SolarCity clearly lost the battle while fighting valiantly on behalf of the entire industry, but I see absolutely no avenue for Elon Musk(SCTY under the TSLA umbrella) to lose the war. Under TSLA, customer acquisition cost instantly shrinks to $.45/W or so and then dwindles down toward the near zero point where Germany has been for more than 3 years.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Smart sharing: Sun-saturated Hawaii debates first TOU community solar proposal

It looks like SolarCity could have a new opportunity in Hawaii: TOU rates for community solar.

UD-HawaiiStaffCommSol-3-07-31-2016.jpg

Note that the peak rates in Kaua'i are actually set by SolarCity dispatchable solar-battery facility on the island, 14.5c/kWh. Kaua'i has the lowest rates of all the islands, which is a bad mark of HECO which is the utility for the rest of Hawaii. In any case, SolarCity has the opportunity to compete for all these higher rates than their Kaua'i PPA.

SolarCity needed to be bailed out because of this

market-tracker.png

The US Has 10GW of Utility-Scale PV Projects Under Construction

Utilities are choosing lower cost solutions, which at about $1 / watt fully installed is far far below SCTY cost.
Deutsche Bank: U.S. utility-scale solar costs to fall below $1 per watt

and therein lies the problem, SCTY 'acquisition cost' alone is almost as much the complete, fully installed cost of utility solar. Something had to change.

Can Tesla Energy make a profit, absolutely, but first Solarcity needed to be taken out the back and shot.

• Disagree
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
SolarCity needed to be bailed out because of this

market-tracker.png

The US Has 10GW of Utility-Scale PV Projects Under Construction

Utilities are choosing lower cost solutions, which at about $1 / watt fully installed is far far below SCTY cost.
Deutsche Bank: U.S. utility-scale solar costs to fall below $1 per watt

and therein lies the problem, SCTY 'acquisition cost' alone is almost as much the complete, fully installed cost of utility solar. Something had to change.

Can Tesla Energy make a profit, absolutely, but first Solarcity needed to be taken out the back and shot.

The U.S. ITC ensure a substantial residential market, which is independent of the utility market. While this may not be a rational use of taxpayer dollars, it is what it is.

Solarcity's problem is low barriers to entry, lack of sufficient differentiation from competitors, and a too expensive business model. Musk can improve some of these problems, but fundamentally there doesn't seem to be a big problem that Tesla can solve with solarcity.

Status
Not open for further replies.