Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man some (one) of you guys are flippin out in here.

I have a 2013 pre AP Tesla. I've owned it for a very long time. I've put 150k miles on it, and have had to service it many times on my own, as well as MACHINE MY OWN PART to correct a production camber issue. My car is near worthless now, combination of mileage and age I might be able to give it away at some point. For now I'll continue to drive it until it totally dies or a repair becomes so costly I'll need to donate it.

I definitely wouldn't buy another if it came time.

Tesla has F'd me too many times to place my investment, savings, or trust in them. Unlike some lucky folks here who can go through "8 teslas, with a 9th on the way" (which seems incredibly wasteful by the way?), try owning one long enough for it to start to fail on you or be in a significant enough incident to have to have it repaired, then see how Tesla treats you.

Spoiler: its "pay us tons of money to completely replace parts that won't be in stock for months, and if you don't like that answer, just buy a new one! Duh!"

Unfortunately, as much as I loved my Tesla then, it is nothing but a major liability now. Sure most older cars are like that, but there is little to no support and parts, which changes the severity of the liability. That's my personal opinion after living with this car and being on these forums for awhile.

Well, we've had one with almost 100k miles.

I get it--Tesla can be rude and stupid; you feel you've been screwed over.

Fine.

Then buy some OTHER EV, just don't buy an ICE.

I and the entire planet thank you.

Arguably buying a new Tesla every year is supporting the company and giving a lot of other people discounts on Teslas.

It is still fundamentally different than supporting an ICE company. And it isn't that wasteful environmentally when the used cars are displacing ICE cars.

How is that I am own a 2015 Tesla with 83k miles, I have a strong personal history of banishing companies that have wronged me, and yet I would buy a Tesla again?

I won't buy a Honda over the HCH battery disaster or a Nissan over the Leaf battery disaster (my last 2 cars before Tesla). The Tesla issues aren't ideal but, by comparison, they are better.

I certainly couldn't buy a Toyota over their hydrogen farce. VW - the company that has been responsible for more premature deaths than any other company in history?
BMW - the car before the HCH was a 545 - and I said never again. The service visits for problems and routine maintenance in 30k have tripled what the Tesla has been in 83k.

So I could buy american - ha. With all the SUV promoting that has been a travesty on the world. Literally, the easiest way to destroy your carbon footprint is to get a ICE SUV - and for what? so you can be slow, brake poorly, handle poorly and roll over easily?

I think that leaves MB. I will stick with Tesla thank you very much.

TSLA pilot - you can afford 8 Teslas and you have a natural gas hot water heater? Everytime you turn on the hot water faucet, you are supporting the destruction of the earth brought on by fracking. And you know what those methane leaks are going to do. If you really believe we are less than 50 years away from Armageddon, then methane is way worse than CO2.

If you are going to be so harsh to other people, you might look in the mirror a bit. I can talk because of our 2 tesla family and full heat pump house powered by solar. But you know what, I do eat meat (not a lot and almost never beef) and I do fly sometimes. You should probably admit 2 things. Buying solar is one of the easiest things to do and often has a financial benefit and driving a Tesla is another no compromise thing to do. They are literally the 2 easiest things to do for your part of the environment (well except not buying an SUV). And those 2 things alone will not prevent catastrophic AGW. You need to pledge to never fly and never eat beef and have no children. The tough stuff.

Yes, I have two ELECTRIC water heaters ready to install; they'll go well with the SolarCity solar panels we installed waaaay back in 2013, when we purchased MS #1.

But let's stay on topic please.

Thx.

• Disagree
Reactions: First EV
I’d just like to thank the people posting in this thread for making these shelter in place orders more enjoyable.

I have a question, though. My significant other and her immediate family own and drive an ICE and have shown no desire to repent for their sins. Should I continue investing time into my relationships with these heathens that very clearly hate Mother Earth and her inhabitants? I mean she won’t even let me keep up the shrine to Lord Elon above the bed like I wanted! Thanks for your opinions!

Paul,

Yes, I am getting one.

I think you may want to do a little research on how they made their money.
Google is your friend.
I've only heard good things about the new Vette. It's supposedly the last of the ICE Vettes and they already have a hybrid drivetrain in the design phase for this Vette's refresh in a few years, so they're giving gas a great send-off and preparing people for the switch. I'll take one for a test drive when they aren't all presold, but I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger without even a test ride yet.

Reactions: ACA Man
I've only heard good things about the new Vette. It's supposedly the last of the ICE Vettes and they already have a hybrid drivetrain in the design phase for this Vette's refresh in a few years, so they're giving gas a great send-off and preparing people for the switch. I'll take one for a test drive when they aren't all presold, but I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger without even a test ride yet.
I never really cared about it until this mid engine model plus the new style.

Will see how it goes once I got a chance to drive it.

Wow, what a bunch we've got here! A box of rocks would be more intelligent, eh?

Just stunning, especially given the climate-driven GM boycott:

California boycotts Trump-aligned automakers in escalating emissions fight
As I mentioned elsewhere, since the day I joined this site after getting our MS, I had always thought you;RE a reasonable person with a sound mind.

So what’s up with the disrespectful & condescending tone?

Furthermore, based on your screen name, one would think you’re an adult so what gave?

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr and FoverM
Yes, I am THRILLED that Elon Musk travels by private jet on a regular basis. He needs to be isolated from the masses and increase his productivity as he is nearly single-handedly working to allow us to have a sustainable planet for generations to come, and helping us become a multi-planetary species. He need not be wasting time stuck in traffic or driving hundreds of miles between his various global facilities.

Perhaps unlike you, Elon is a high-impact individual with extensive and well-proven capabilities. A personal jet greatly enhances/leverages that capability and he needs all the leverage he can get if we're to have a usable planet in the years ahead. Capeesh?

Haha, LOL. Next you will tell me that he is having a 7th kid and lives in a big mansion to be more efficient?:rolleyes:
The OP is also moving to a non-EV car because it is more efficient for him/her to not wait longer at the supercharger.
You think ordinary people's time is worth much less. But many people disagree.

As to the topic of the thread, would you mind sharing how that in ANY way absolves the OP (and others that have admitted their guilt) of his heinous act?
It is relevant, because the OP could have done many other things right that may have more than offset this tiny impact.
- May be he lives close to work and doesn't commute 80 miles each way in an EV to "save the planet"?
- May be he doesn't take 4 around-the-world vacations each year?
- May be he has energy upgrades in his home to reduce GHG?
- Doesn't have 7 kids?;)
- May be he is doing a lot of good things for humanity, like making people see again?

You simply don't know much about the OP to call him the horrendous names you've been calling and blaming him for destroying the planet. All because of the car OP now drives.

I’d just like to thank the people posting in this thread for making these shelter in place orders more enjoyable.

I have a question, though. My significant other and her immediate family own and drive an ICE and have shown no desire to repent for their sins. Should I continue investing time into my relationships with these heathens that very clearly hate Mother Earth and her inhabitants? I mean she won’t even let me keep up the shrine to Lord Elon above the bed like I wanted! Thanks for your opinions!
You cut them out of your life forever!
Before I got married I made it clear that in our relationship, I will always put Tom Brady first, during love making I reserve the right to be called Tom Brady as well as call out Tom Brady’s name. I also reserve the right to wear a Tom Brady jersey to any and all formal dress events. And anyone named Eli in her family must be cut out of her life for good!

Where in there is actual proof of 100kWh or Model 3 packs having there Supercharging speed throttle because of the amount of DC fast charging? (I certainly don't recall seeing that. I did see one YouTube video that claimed that but showed no evidence or showing their test conditions.)
Considering the fact that the cells in the 100kWh battery pack are no different than 85kwh it’s not unreasonable to assume they too will be limited after they reach a certain limit.
also on this page someone reports their P100D being throttled

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

you’re right about there not being any proof for the model 3 throttling besides the video by Bjorn. I’m closely monitoring his progress since his supercharging use case is quite on the extreme side.

While calling them utter morons and avoiding them would seem desirable, it won't be super effective--that's best left for TMC Forums.

Plan B: I would strongly encourage a sit-down talk/intervention. Show them some of the many links which clearly suggest we (as in "ALL OF US") are in for a world of hurt if continue our unchecked dumping of GHG's. When we reach a tipping point, the disasters that await us will make COVID-19 look like a picnic. Emphasize what "positive feedback loops" if they have little or no science background (which is likely the case; otherwise they'd be driving EV's already).

“We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”
--Carl Sagan

And:

Why Positive Climate Feedbacks Are So Bad

And:

A warming Arctic could cost the world trillions of dollars

Then point out that an EV may SEEM more expensive, the TCO is actually LESS over time, and far, far less when combined with solar power:

Tesla Model 3 Cost of Ownership Slightly Cheaper Than a Camry | Loup Ventures

And:

Shocker: Tesla Model 3 vs. Honda Civic — 15 Cost Comparisons Over 5 Years | CleanTechnica

Lastly, point out that INDIVIDUAL LEADERSHIP is more important now than ever--we have a "leader" in The Orange One who has, without a shred of evidence, called Climate Change a "Chinese Hoax." His actions place our entire planet's future in peril . . . it is up to US, individually, to act.

Let us know what Tesla they order!

• Disagree
Haha, LOL. Next you will tell me that he is having a 7th kid and lives in a big mansion to be more efficient?:rolleyes:
The OP is also moving to a non-EV car because it is more efficient for him/her to not wait longer at the supercharger.

It is relevant, because the OP could have done many other things right that may have more than offset this tiny impact.
- May be he lives close to work and doesn't commute 80 miles each way in an EV to "save the planet"?
- Doesn't have 7 kids?;)
- May be he is doing a lot of good things for humanity, like making people see again?

You simply don't know much about the OP to call him the horrendous names you've been calling and blaming him for destroying the planet. All because of the car OP now drives.

The OP has managed to live with the "horrors" of a MS for almost 6 years.

During that time, Superchargers went from nearly zero to almost 20k units around the globe, yet he's bent out of shape because he's had a token reduction in his what-should-be-rarely-used SC speed. He's so "bent" on this that he's going back to an ICE, a choice in which he will again risk our planet with each mile he drives.

As the facts in dozens of posts above have demonstrated, that is an evil choice.

PERIOD.

Given such a clear choice between good and bad in life, he should be shamed for becoming part of the problem.

Given the scope and implications of this planetary-scale threat, I find it incomprehensible that others support the OP . . . until we find out that for some, they too have committed the same evil.

I get it: Being called out for evil actions is uncomfortable. It should be.

The solution is simple: Stop doing evil actions that place our entire planet's future at risk.

As I mentioned elsewhere, since the day I joined this site after getting our MS, I had always thought you;RE a reasonable person with a sound mind.

So what’s up with the disrespectful & condescending tone?

Furthermore, based on your screen name, one would think you’re an adult so what gave?

I don't sit quietly when otherwise good people do evil things.

The OP is committing an evil act. Based upon his follow up post, we can hope he has seen his error and will return to goodness and light.

But I shame him, and his supporters, for his evil.

We need more of that, not less; our entire planet's future hangs in the balance.

It is time for you to get pissed off too, rather than sitting in quiet silence.

We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.
--Elie Wiesel

To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men.
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Don't be a coward. The stakes are too high.

Last edited:
  • Disagree

For the umpteenth time: STAY ON TOPIC please.

After nearly 6 years with a MS, the OP made a very bad choice to replace his MS with an ICE vehicle. It's terrible for the planet--it's the only one we've got.

So let's focus on his very bad choice, and help him return to an EV. (There are other non-Tesla EV's if he really thinks that Tesla is sooooo terrible. Too bad they're all pretty hopeless in comparison to Teslas, but at least it'll still be an EV.)

- Doesn't have 7 kids?;)

• Disagree
Status
Not open for further replies.