Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I leased a M3 LR about a month ago (no FSD). This is my third leased EV (a 14 and a 17 LEAF). I believe the technology is changing to fast to purchase. I realized that I can’t purchase the M3 at the end of my lease, but I don’t want to. I will see what is available in 2023 and then lease again. BTW my 14 LEAF range was 78 mi.

Reactions: alloverx
This is a very disappointing thread. On April 1st, my 2014 Model S85 played a very bad Aprils Fool joke on me when it suddenly did an impersonation of a brick! Totally dead, could not connect with app, no response to the key fob. I thought there was a sudden failure of the 12 volt battery. Tesla sent a flat bed to get it to the newly opened Service Center near Rochester, NY. This was a big improvement compared to my prior closest SC near Toronto, Canada! "Only" 75 miles away compared to 115 miles to the SC in Canada. Text message from the SC informs me that they need to replace the High Voltage battery! I have about 62k miles on the car and infrequently Supercharge. I routinely charge to 90% on my 80 amp HPWC. No hint of prior issues. I was looking forward to getting a replacement pack in another week but after reading this thread I will need to reconsider my plans to upgrade to a new Model S next year. Maybe a Model Y but I would miss my instrument cluster!

Last edited:
Eye - I know you have been around awhile and an enthusiastic owner.

Just a random question, how much roadtripping (long enough to require supercharging) did you do with 40k in 5.5 years?

I am coming up on 5 years and 83k. I have supercharged a couple of times since chargegate and it was slow (haven't really confirmed anything - one time the battery was freezing). I didn't really need it so I just drove on. I am not a huge supercharger anyway.

We have a 3LR in the house now and compared to my 70D even at full charge speed, it wins out. So any really long trip, we take the 3.

I would just make the argument that you spent more time shopping for that new car and filling it with gas then you ever spent supercharging. I do understand the frustration though. Just not sure that it was rational. You could always go to a rental car for long trips. Financially and time wise a better option for sure. By financially - better than buying a new car.

My 70D might be a city car but it is a fantastic one and depreciating very slowly at this point. And it takes me to almost anywhere I travel with any regularity - like 150 miles to our beach house or 170 miles to the in-laws.

So break down the math for me. How many hours waiting at superchargers in the year since throttling? And how much excess depreciation are you paying for every day now? And when is your first service visit on the new car?

I get that I might be labeled a fanboy. I just think your case would be better made if you made 400 mile trips once a month. And maybe you do and bike to the office. Chargegate is frustrating for sure and it lowered the value of my car probably $5k but that doesn't make me want to spend $50k to get over it. Especially not when the income outlook is less rosy for the next year....
All excellent points here. Well written

...for now. What happens when they start capping them in 2 years?

Tesla is lucky they have a rabid fan base. Otherwise their shady business practices would have caught up with them by now.
...for now. What happens when they start capping them in 2 years?

Tesla is lucky they have a rabid fan base. Otherwise their shady business practices would have caught up with them by now.
What type of car do you currently drive? Have you had similar problems?

I am new to the group and Tesla. Got my S long range model last December. Driven about 2000 miles. Bit of a learning curve but no complaints. The discussion about reduced charging rates in an older model raised a question in my mind. How much does it now cost to replace the battery pack in an older Tesla? Do we anticipate the price coming down.
Someone posted that they were quoted 11k for a 60kwh battery replacement.

I have a 2013 S P85+. I bought it with the understanding there would be battery swap stations all over, eliminating the charging issue. Now they have a grand total of...one battery swap station. Until EVs can match the technology of my flashlight, EVs will NEVER replace ICE cars. Love to drive it, but when I moved from Florida to Michigan i put Silent Lightning on the truck and drove the Lexus. Always hated supercharging. I guess will like it less now. Still plan to keep the car as long as I can. Most cars I buy new I have kept 20 years. The only EV with a replaceable battery is Nio and they are about to go bust. If Ford and GM can work out a battery convention like C cells, DVDs cells or cassette tapes did, Tesla will go away. So far, no one has decided this is the solution. Until it is, I will always have gas powered cars for long trips.

What type of car do you currently drive? Have you had similar problems?
P85D and yes. Loss of range and loss of supercharging speed.

I bought the car because I travel frequently and the ability to charge up in 15-30 mins was fine with me. Now it takes over an hour per stop to charge and the overall range is reduced. I don’t even bother taking it outside of the city.

I am seeing Supercharging rates of 28kW to 30kW at Version 3 Superchargers on my 2015 MS85D (Idaho Springs & Lakewood Colorado) at these rates it makes road trips nearly impossible. If I drive for 3 hours at an average speed of 70mph for 210 miles and then need to charge back that 210 miles. It will take 2+ hours at that rate to charge that back, does not seem an efficient use of time.
You've been Musk'd. Your car is a city EV now, thanks for supporting Tesla. If you don't like it go give them more money for the latest shiny object... it will surely be OK for 3-4 years LOL

Thanks everyone, I've just wasted an amazing 2 hours reading this debate. What is there to say that hasn't already been said?

It's sad to come face to face with broken promises and dreams. "Drive free on the sun forever", "Fast or Free". I did not see this yet, but the battery issue was potentially solved in 2014 with the pack swap station at Harris Ranch. By the numbers, the swap station is now cheaper than paying for supercharging.
Harris Ranch swap was an unsustainable experiment that only worked on a small scale. Keeping enough packs ready for use at a full network of swap stations was never going to be practical.

I have a 2013 S P85+. I bought it with the understanding there would be battery swap stations all over, eliminating the charging issue. Now they have a grand total of...one battery swap station.

Tesla never promised a network of swap stations. They closed the test station that they had, so there are none.

Sure, you betcha.

People can go ahead and buy whatever they want, even cars and trucks that dump massive amounts of GHG's with each passing mile . . . for others to pay for.

Clue Issue: Do that for over a century and all that "free" dumping can ruin an entire planet.

What part of the science is wrong here? Obviously you must know some secret info about how it's all a left-wing scam to "take away our 'Merican freedoms!" or something since you keep writing that "people are free to buy whatever they want."

Or do you just think we can all have a group hug and make physics and chemistry go away?

Geesh, so many morons, so little time . . . .
Can you imagine being this guys neighbor?
What if you show someone all these videos and proof about polution and they can't afford a Tesla and need a car that can travel long distance without long charging stops? You seemed confident once they saw the proof they would buy one. This just proves you can't see things from any position except your own, which allows the privilege of a new tesla every year.
I also loved my S and thought I would never buy a ice car again. I was going to get an X for the wife too. Unfortunately my S was totaled and if the battery gate and charge gate hadn't happened I would have probably replaced the S with a 3 and gotten my wife the X. Instead I did the worse thing imaginable and bought a gas car. I am hoping GM does a better job than Tesla with their EVs but that's being hopeful. So

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
Unfortunately, *this* science is inextricably linked to public policy, therefore the discussion is not just for science nerds. There are people with little to no science background that have the power to spend tax money. That "some guy" you refer to does not have that power. Congress alone has that power.

Since that 'some guy' pretty much owns half of congress, I beg to differ. When you have spineless cowards who can be easily bought off as members of Congress, the system of checks and balances begin to break down as we're witnessing with this Presidency.

As for the science, it's about whether you believe it and / or care about the future. Many people can't be bothered with what might happen 50-100 years from now. I get it. And that's their prerogative, but if they're trying to discredit the science, then come with convincing evidence.

And of course it's linked to public policy because it's in the public's best interest. Yes, it will cost money and require commitment, and lots of both.

Now, I'm not saying politicians don't line their pockets, they ALL do, but we have no choice but to take the good with the bad. Hell, Trump was actually elected President. If that's not proof that Americans love dirty politics and will elect anybody, even a proven con man (Trump U), I don't know what is. Look at the Senate; filled with old, expired, do nothing, money grubbing, parasites, who will flip flop like the flag in the wind. But they keep getting elected. I wonder why? We Americans have no one to blame but ourselves for what we have as leaders.

AWG is nto just for science nerds only. Like all good causes, it has become a business that makes a lot of people rich, and is an avenue to extract taxpayor money for all sorts of dubious remedies and "repairations".

So let's forget about it then? Is that the attitude we should support?

I'd love to and do support renewable energy, but you have to first define what the goals are. Cleaner environment? Less dependency on foreign sources? Change the course of global climate? Now define your metric of success.
Then define how much you are willing to spend to meet the metric. ROI, or should we have bought face masks, or put more into cancer research?

If you'd 'love to and do support renewable energy', you wouldn't be bringing up every excuse not to support it while trying to discredit the science at the same time. You can't be on both sides of the fence at one time.

As I mentioned earlier, unless everyone everywhere is willing to give up essentially everything modern science and industry has given us, it will be impossible to make any meaningfully change.

Hell if I was heavily invested in Big Oil, I'd cut you a check myself. Let's just give in and keep the ball rolling. Somebody's got to make billions.

Windmills are great, except NIMBY and they kill the birds. Success? I'm not sure where that link between cancer and windmills came about, but I suspect he was referring to the link between exposure to electromagnetic fields and carcinogenesis, which is still inconclusive and a valid concern.

There is NO credible evidence that link wind turbines to cancer, period! But there is a lot that support the theory that Trump isn't very bright.

Windmills are great, except NIMBY and they kill the birds. Success? I'm not sure where that link between cancer and windmills came about, but I suspect he was referring to the link between exposure to electromagnetic fields and carcinogenesis, which is still inconclusive and a valid concern.

Cats and building are the largest killers of birds. If you aren't concerned about either of those don't pretend to be concerned about windmills. Similarly if you're concerned about electromagnetic fields there are many sources closer to you than remote windmills, so that's another pathetically weak argument.

Since that 'some guy' pretty much owns half of congress, I beg to differ. When you have spineless cowards who can be easily bought off as members of Congress, the system of checks and balances begin to break down as we're witnessing with this Presidency.

As for the science, it's about whether you believe it and / or care about the future. Many people can't be bothered with what might happen 50-100 years from now. I get it. And that's their prerogative, but if they're trying to discredit the science, then come with convincing evidence.

And of course it's linked to public policy because it's in the public's best interest. Yes, it will cost money and require commitment, and lots of both.

Now, I'm not saying politicians don't line their pockets, they ALL do, but we have no choice but to take the good with the bad. Hell, Trump was actually elected President. If that's not proof that Americans love dirty politics and will elect anybody, even a proven con man (Trump U), I don't know what is. Look at the Senate; filled with old, expired, do nothing, money grubbing, parasites, who will flip flop like the flag in the wind. But they keep getting elected. I wonder why? We Americans have no one to blame but ourselves for what we have as leaders.

So let's forget about it then? Is that the attitude we should support?

If you'd 'love to and do support renewable energy', you wouldn't be bringing up every excuse not to support it while trying to discredit the science at the same time. You can't be on both sides of the fence at one time.

Hell if I was heavily invested in Big Oil, I'd cut you a check myself. Let's just give in and keep the ball rolling. Somebody's got to make billions.

There is NO credible evidence that link wind turbines to cancer, period! But there is a lot that support the theory that Trump isn't very bright.

Trump was elected President because of the unacceptable alternative. As for the Senate and House, anyone who is not old, a do nothing, a money grubber and will not vote their own interest is capable of running for the seat. Frankly, if the result will look like the loudmouth younger freshwomen, I'll keep the status quo. But who really wants to run for office? Only nasty narcissists have the time, patience and willingness to see it thru.

Unfortunately and predictably, the nerds think they can convince everyone to follow along, because we are just so smart, and unless you don't you are gonna die in 10 years, your house will be under water, everyone starves, etc. Obviously not convincing arguments, and you make poor science ambassadors. The nomenclature went from "global warming" to "climate change" for a reason. As I stated, make the case for a cleaner environment and you will convince event the stupidest in the room. And to be honest, IIR every hurricane model for the past 10 years has been wrong, and that affects me, a Floridian. That doesn't inspire confidence in the models or the experts that feed them. COVID-19 models look to be wrong, as well as the need for 700,000 to 1 million ventilators per the experts. All those ventilators contracted to be made my Tesla and GM will be sold at gov't auction and resold to 3rd world countries within 10 years. Billions wasted.

Of course I support clean energy, but I'm not giving up my AC, my phone, my nice house or an occasional ribeye, and neither will you. I drive a Tesla but I am under no illusion about my insignificant impact on anything. I drive it because I can afford to and wanted something different. We can spend trillions of $$ to the detriment of our economy for no real impact. That's foolish and nothing but expensive virtue signalling. The environmental recovery in the past month has been remarkable. All we had to do was shut down the world economies.

I never claimed a link between turbines and cancer. I stated that the causality does not yet square with the epidemiological evidence regarding carcinogenesis and electromagnetic field exposure, nor do I use the unproven correlation as an argument against them. However, they are unsightly, do kill birds and no one wants them.

Nobody ever claimed our President was a Mensa surgeon. He's a brash NYer, prone to hyperbole and inyourface rhetoric. I often wish he'd just shut up. That said, I'll take a good leader over an egghead any day. Reference Paris Accord, China, Iran Nuke Deal, NAFTA.

Last edited:
Before getting too judgemental, we should take into consideration that about 98% of new car buyers are still choosing to go the gasoline/diesel route.

EVs are a disruptive force, but it will take some time until enough production capability is built to make more EVs and the EVs improve in pricing and capabilitiies to make them a more palitable choice. Longer range and faster charging will help change the tide.

All true, but not of import here.

The OP had a MS, and he replaced it with an ICE vehicle--Tesla has the capacity to make one more for him, as do other EV brands.

The OP made a very, very poor choice, and his "leadership" was exactly the wrong kind for everyone on the planet.

I 'member back when "the anointed" intellectuals were screeching their head off about global cooling in the 70's.

Then it became global warming. [read: the anointed got it wrong but rather than admit their mistake, they doubled down]

Then it became "climate change". [read: the anointed got it wrong but rather than admit their mistake, they doubled down]

Now it's COVID and they're talking about mandatory vax papers and whispering about chip implants. [read: the anointed are still going to get it wrong but rather than admit their mistake, they demand more be taken from us under the guise of security.]

The common theme through all of this (they) always play up a crisis so [you] live in fear to give up more of your liberties and pay more in taxes.

Please, stay on topic.

Regurgitating what you hear from Rush Limbaugh or other AM Talk Radio kooks is unbecoming and it makes you look "less than smart" in a widely read forum; don't do that.

The 1970s Global Cooling Zombie Myth and the Tricks Some People Use to Keep it Alive, Part I

ON TOPIC

This is NOT hard to understand: the OP's "choice" to replace his MS with an ICE harms our entire planet's future.

He should have known better.

Period.

I have a 2013 S P85+. I bought it with the understanding there would be battery swap stations all over, eliminating the charging issue. Now they have a grand total of...one battery swap station. Until EVs can match the technology of my flashlight, EVs will NEVER replace ICE cars. Love to drive it, but when I moved from Florida to Michigan i put Silent Lightning on the truck and drove the Lexus. Always hated supercharging. I guess will like it less now. Still plan to keep the car as long as I can. Most cars I buy new I have kept 20 years. The only EV with a replaceable battery is Nio and they are about to go bust. If Ford and GM can work out a battery convention like C cells, DVDs cells or cassette tapes did, Tesla will go away. So far, no one has decided this is the solution. Until it is, I will always have gas powered cars for long trips.

Odd how people are driving Teslas across the country every day yet don't seem to have the fears you do.

I guess if you're raised to think a certain way, that dumping your GHG garbage into everyone else's future is fine, you could come to the conclusions you have.

For everyone else that's a responsible adult, however, the status quo is completely unsat.

And that's why we need millions more Teslas (and other EV's) to be purchased, and everyone to stop buying ICE vehicles.

There are many working very hard to confuse and mislead the masses on the threat we face--keep that gravy train running, line those pockets, and damn the future. Given that we've only got one planet, best for all to learn how it's done:

Climate of Doubt

Never in human history have so many been so easily fooled, by so few with so very little.

Can you imagine being this guys neighbor?
What if you show someone all these videos and proof about polution and they can't afford a Tesla and need a car that can travel long distance without long charging stops? You seemed confident once they saw the proof they would buy one. This just proves you can't see things from any position except your own, which allows the privilege of a new tesla every year.
I also loved my S and thought I would never buy a ice car again. I was going to get an X for the wife too. Unfortunately my S was totaled and if the battery gate and charge gate hadn't happened I would have probably replaced the S with a 3 and gotten my wife the X. Instead I did the worse thing imaginable and bought a gas car. I am hoping GM does a better job than Tesla with their EVs but that's being hopeful. So

"Can't afford a Tesla . . . "

Wow, I guess all your neighbors have a life expectancy of under four or five years?

Come on now, we've got to be smarter than a box of rocks if we're going to have a usable planet. Let's start now, please.

Thx.

p.s. All of these cost comparisons are junk if you have solar panels; then the cost of the Tesla is even lower when compared to the ICE garbage that spews GHG's with each passing mile:

Shocker: Tesla Model 3 vs. Honda Civic — 15 Cost Comparisons Over 5 Years | CleanTechnica

Tesla Model 3 Cost of Ownership Slightly Cheaper Than a Camry | Loup Ventures

Tesla Model 3 vs. Honda Accord — Comparable 5 Year Cost to Own | CleanTechnica

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and First EV
Trump was elected President because of the unacceptable alternative."

Well, with an average approval rating at around 40% in his fourth year, I'm sure there are a lot of regrets.

As I stated, make the case for a cleaner environment and you will convince event the stupidest in the room.

So, don't you think investing in renewable energy would eventually lead to a cleaner environment?

And to be honest, IIR every hurricane model for the past 10 years has been wrong, and that affects me, a Floridian.

Can you back that statement up? And which models are you referring to? The European or the US? Or both?

That doesn't inspire confidence in the models or the experts that feed them. COVID-19 models look to be wrong, as well as the need for 700,000 to 1 million ventilators per the experts. All those ventilators contracted to be made my Tesla and GM will be sold at gov't auction and resold to 3rd world countries within 10 years. Billions wasted.

The smart move is to prepare for the worst. The Trumpian move is to deny until it's too late, then lie about it.

Of course I support clean energy, but I'm not giving up my AC, my phone, my nice house or an occasional ribeye, and neither will you.

Why do you think you have to give up these amenities?

I drive a Tesla but I am under no illusion about my insignificant impact on anything. I drive it because I can afford to and wanted something different. We can spend trillions of $$ to the detriment of our economy for no real impact. That's foolish and nothing but expensive virtue signalling. The environmental recovery in the past month has been remarkable. All we had to do was shut down the world economies.

My reason for buying a Tesla was the car's capabilities first and foremost, but it's nice to know I'm not polluting the environment every time I drive it. Getting out and not smelling the exhaust or the engine fumes is something I do not miss.

I never claimed a link between turbines and cancer.

Yeah, well our President did.

Nobody ever claimed our President was a Mensa surgeon.

You set the bar too high. Let's start from 5th Grade and work our way back.

He's a brash NYer, prone to hyperbole and inyourface rhetoric. I often wish he'd just shut up. That said, I'll take a good leader over an egghead any day. Reference Paris Accord, China, Iran Nuke Deal, NAFTA.

The entire planet wish he'd just shut up.

-Paris Accord? Thank the lobbyists. They own Trump and most of Congress.

-Iran Nuke Deal? Oh you mean the, "I hate Obama, so I'm going undo what he did" deal? The same one that increased tensions in the area and has made Iran even more determined to develop nukes? What a deal!!

-China? Depressing the world economy through idiotic trade tariffs is now an accomplishment?

-NAFTA? You mean NAFTA 2.0? It seems many economists are not convinced the new 'deals' with Mexico and Canada would bring the level of benefits promised. It looks nice on paper, but only time will tell.

To call Trump a 'leader' is laughable. A toddler that throws tantrums is more like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.