Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've loved my S85, but when Tesla with no explanation or notice capped my supercharging speed to less than half the former speed with a software update almost a year ago as has been done to most if not all older cars. that was it for me. My car is now a city car. Long trips are not practical when it takes 90+ minutes to supercharge. My car only had 40k miles on it when this was done.

You can peruse the chargegate threads, all 500+ pages of them, for the reason why Tesla is doing this but the bottom line is that it's to avoid battery failures during the warranty period. The equivalent would be for GM to disable 4 cylinders in your Corvette via an unannounced software update to reduce engine failures under warranty.

I've loved my Tesla and hope to be back someday when Tesla can guarantee reasonable charge rates for the life of the battery pack. Car is sold and new car is in the garage. Not going to get into what I got because I don't want to turn this thread into a Tesla superfan hatefest but it's not an EV.
I had similar issues with my P85 but sold for a good price and my new PM3 charges way faster. Just the difference between an old and new car I guess. My old S had new battery pack just before I sold so whilst it was an issue when it packed up Tesla sorted it efficiently.
Bigger issue is the 8 year cliff edge when I feel Tesla’s become worthless due to cost of fixing even the cheapest parts.
I’d never go back to an ICE car and to be honest would never not own a Tesla.

I drive a 2014 S, which has been E-W across the continent four times and N-S four times. With over 90,000 miles, I’ve visited Superchargers in places I couldn’t possible recall.

But I do remember well the charger in Boise, Idaho. A Brazilian grill is immediately adjacent. We of course planned for a lunch stop there.

Have you ever tried to eat at a Brazilian restaurant in less than 90 minutes? We were there 2 hours, minus the 5 minutes it took to move the car when it was fully charged.

Do I really care that my peak charging rate is now about 70 kW? Everyone at the CCS and Chademo chargers are still capped at 50, or less.

Enjoy life. Take a walk. Skip rope. Read a book. Eat Brazilian.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: EinSV and alloverx
I don't buy the 8 year cliff edge.
I am out of warranty for 33k miles (2 years or so).
My first issue was a month ago - and it cost me $800 or so.
Lets compare to a BMW 5 series and a repair cost at 83k miles.
Now - sure the battery can crap out - at the 8 year mark. But that isn't an edge. It isn't like someone buying a 7 year old car hasn't done the math.
The question might be what does the battery cost and what is a 8 year old car with new battery worth? If the battery is $12k and the car with new battery is worth $24k, then you have your floor. Then a rational consumer would do the math on the probability of that happening. And so there is a floor and it is high teens probably.
An 8 year old loaded 5 series is worth about $10k.

I drive a 2014 S, which has been E-W across the continent four times and N-S four times. With over 90,000 miles, I’ve visited Superchargers in places I couldn’t possible recall.

But I do remember well the charger in Boise, Idaho. A Brazilian grill is immediately adjacent. We of course planned for a lunch stop there.

Have you ever tried to eat at a Brazilian restaurant in less than 90 minutes? We were there 2 hours, minus the 5 minutes it took to move the car when it was fully charged.

Do I really care that my peak charging rate is now about 70 kW? Everyone at the CCS and Chademo chargers are still capped at 50, or less.

Enjoy life. Take a walk. Skip rope. Read a book. Eat Brazilian.
Eating for hours every stop on a coast to coast run where you visit 5+ superchargers a day is probably not good for your health. If you want to relax, eat and read books, take the train instead of driving. :)

Sure, you betcha.

People can go ahead and buy whatever they want, even cars and trucks that dump massive amounts of GHG's with each passing mile . . . for others to pay for.

Clue Issue: Do that for over a century and all that "free" dumping can ruin an entire planet.

What part of the science is wrong here? Obviously you must know some secret info about how it's all a left-wing scam to "take away our 'Merican freedoms!" or something since you keep writing that "people are free to buy whatever they want."

Or do you just think we can all have a group hug and make physics and chemistry go away?

Geesh, so many morons, so little time . . . .

@InternetDude is Canadian. So it's not about 'Merican freedoms. I wouldn't be telling people that they're morons and evil either. Not a single person on this thread agrees with that, including EV owners and people who believe that climate change is real.

Sigh.

In the pre-Internet age, only your family and friends would know you were a gullible fool.

Now, thanks to excellent forums like this, everyone can know:

Ice Core Data Help Solve a Global Warming Mystery

CO2 lags temperature - what does it mean?

Big Toys, it's best to stay "on topic" in any thread. (This is especially true if you try to venture off into areas in which you know very, very little.)

In this case, the OP replaced a MS with an ICE vehicle. His "personal choice." as so many here call it, increases the risk to our only planet, and all life on it. It was short-sighted, wrong, and evil; we can hope he will see his error soon and buy another EV ASAP.

While a Tesla would be the best choice, he is free to buy a lesser, far less capable EV, while spending more money to do so. The important thing is: STOP BUYING ICE VEHICLES.

I find it interesting that you have virtually the same response whenever someone challenges you.

1) OP is evil, everyone here is a moron, etc
2) Some links about climate change with no direct correlation to EVs or ICEs
3) 1 in 2 chance of "thou shalt not commit logical fallacies".

If you can afford an S and you are a surgeon you can afford to charge at home ... I don't understand the whole supercharging BS. I have my own private gas station which charges my car every night for "free" (I do have solar). I might charge 1-2 times per month at a supercharging station just to believe that Tesla is giving me something for free ... :)
Some of us leave the bubbles we live in for various reasons.

Moderator note: Please stop with the personal attacks and off-topic discussion. The thread is too much of a mess for me to go back and hunt down every post that doesn't belong here (though I tried last night for about 25 minutes before giving up). Climate change discussion can continue at the designated thread here. The search function at the top right can show you threads about all of the other sub discussions here as well - batterygate, upgradegate, front gate, back gate, agate, pumice, etc. ;)

Continued off-topic discussion from this point forward will be moved away and personal attacks on the OP or others will result in account actions. Thanks for understanding!

Reactions: pilotSteve
I had similar issues with my P85 but sold for a good price and my new PM3 charges way faster. Just the difference between an old and new car I guess. My old S had new battery pack just before I sold so whilst it was an issue when it packed up Tesla sorted it efficiently.
Bigger issue is the 8 year cliff edge when I feel Tesla’s become worthless due to cost of fixing even the cheapest parts.
I’d never go back to an ICE car and to be honest would never not own a Tesla.
Of course buying a new car will appear to solve the problem but doesn't address the root cause. And doesn't prevent this from happening again in a few years. Going back to an ICE was the right answer for the OP and others. If Tesla can prove that they won't take away what you bought after 4-5 years then perhaps old timers will come back to the brand.

Moderator, I just posted a long discussion post. Will it remain here? There are no personal attacks, only discussion. Dang, i ttook a long time to type, I hope you did not delete it, I cna't typoe very welll!
Political discussion is prohibited here by the Terms of Service. I recognize plenty was occurring, but as I mentioned, I cannot parse this entire thread. Politics are moved to this thread.

For those of you who were not aware, here is the video that convinced me that Tesla would build battery swap stations. I bought my Tesla 3 months later
Battery Swap Event
If there were a battery convention agreed upon by all companies, stations could easily be fitted to perform fast swaps for a reasonable fee. The first company to do this will win this battle and everyone will have to ultimately join. Some cars take one, others might take four. It is the obvious (to me) solution to range anxiety and charging delays. I dont care about free. I just want my...Tesla Wheeeee!

John5520, I did respond to your post, it is long, but I do not know where it went. Maybe the mod can help direct us.

I saw it but can't reply to it. Thread is locked. Anyway, good discussion. I think I said enough. Just an FYI since you asked:

To create quotes manually, just enclose the message with the word 'quote' like this:

Quote.jpg

Reactions: ohmman
If there were a battery convention agreed upon by all companies,
Will never happen, and it still does not solve the fact that swap stations mean the most expensive part of an EV, the battery pack, must be stored in volume at locations across the world to allow peak volume swapping, which would only occur a few times a year. So it's an incredibly expensive and wasteful proposal, which is why it failed when Better Place tried it and why Tesla never put much effort into it. It also becomes irrelevant as battery packs become larger and charge times become faster.

Reactions: SO16 and MP3Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.