Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my MYSR for $15k profit and getting MYLR for same price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing i have to say is that MYSR was the best deal ever and something like that will never happen with Tesla again.
Paid $40k 8 months ago and after 12000 miles and some dents got offer for $55k from Vroom.

With SR took me only 20-25 min more to charge between LA - Las Vegas then what my friends with MYLR are doing.

Also it was incredibly fast, waay faster then Tesla MYLR i tried at SC and my friends with MYLR were also surprised.
I have read somewhere that MYSR was using performance motor that is software locked.
It had same premium interior/and audio as MYLR.

I have ordered MYLR 7 months ago and delivery date is next week. Locked it with old price so basically im getting new car with larger battery and dual motor for even less then what i paid for my old car.

I am still sad to see my MYSR go, it was wonderful car without any issues.

Tesla would sell tons of cars if they decide to re-introduce MYSR for that (old) price

One thing i have to say is that MYSR was the best deal ever and something like that will never happen with Tesla again.
Paid $40k 8 months ago and after 12000 miles and some dents got offer for $55k from Vroom.

With SR took me only 20-25 min more to charge between LA - Las Vegas then what my friends with MYLR are doing.

Also it was incredibly fast, waay faster then Tesla MYLR i tried at SC and my friends with MYLR were also surprised.
I have read somewhere that MYSR was using performance motor that is software locked.

I have ordered MYLR 7 months ago and delivery date is next week. Locked it with old price so basically im getting new car with larger battery and dual motor for even less then what i paid for my old car.

Tesla would sell tons of cars if they decide to re-introduce MYSR for that (old) price
Uh...lack of demand is not limiting any sales for Tesla at this point. Why would they lower the price or offer the LR model, with lower profit?

I did the same thing. Sold MYSR with 12.5k miles for $56,150 in November and ordered a performance instead and it’s being delivered in early January. I’d only break even with the BBB tax credits, but still get money back from CA.

Reactions: Daekwan
I was thinking about doing the same thing with my Y SR but the problems with vision only right now and tesla delivering cars with a loud “humming” pump put me off.

It’s a crazy time, definitely normally a no brainer given the bizarro car market but all but one of the demo vehicles at my local service center exhibited this obnoxious pump sound and people are still reporting it in the thread being maintained in the Y forum.

I’ll prob just wait for giga Texas and 4680 cells. /shrug

What was your MYSR configuration? They only offered me 48k but mine is the base config.

Vroom offered $56K for my YSR with 12,400 miles. I did have all the extra options.. red paint, white interior, black 20” wheels and tow hitch. So about $10K more than I paid for it 10 months ago.

I’m seriously considering buying a new performance version. But I’m turned off about the price increases and really worried about losing radar based driving aids. From everything I’ve read the vision only versions just do not work as well.. and have a lot more phantom breaking. It’s basically paying more money.. for a car with less features.

That said.. the 2022 MYP would give me 25% more range, 50% faster charging at home on my 60A HPWC and of course significantly faster acceleration. Also get a few other upgrades like the matrix LED headlights, Michelin AS4 tires, hepa filter & the newest 82kWh battery.

Quite a lot of improvements over my current car.. but still $15K more for stuff I would not use much in everyday driving. Probably the most shocking thing about the YSR is just how well the range works for ALL driving. I leave the every morning with the battery 90% full which gives me about 200 miles of real world driving and covers any distance I’d drive 99% if the time. After a year of ownership and almost 13K miles my wh/mi avg is 256. It is incredibly efficient. Thats more than enough range to accomplish anything I want to do.. including long road trips. For long road trips (I’ve driven up to 1000 miles in a single weekend).. it really just means 1 or 2 extra charging stops. I bought this car in Chicago, drove it 800 miles home, it took 5 charging stops around 20mins at each Supercharger. In theory.. MYLR or MYP would have did the same 800 mile trip with 3 charging stops. So reality is, even long drives in the MYP wouldn’t save much time.. and honestly I’m still going to stop and pee every 2-3 hours lol. I guess with the bigger battery.. I could drive a lot faster.. maybe 80mph instead of 70mph? Still seems like a small difference.. at-least on paper. Even winter driving range has been a pleasant surprise as the car is garage kept and plugged in, which means I can always precondition the battery before leaving.. plus the car has a heat pump.

I guess the big question remains do I really wanna pay $15K for the exact same car? Which is really basically a much faster version.. of my already really fast car? I’m still 50-50 on the decision right now, and I figure it’s just best to wait. I would really like to see other improvements before spending that much money. Like maybe the new MYP being produced in Austin with better paint, AMD Ryzen components & 4680 battery cells.. would make an easier decision.

Last edited:
I lease my vehicles. Prior to my Model Y I leased a white 2019 Acrua RDX. All the dealers were contacting me to buyout my lease. Not only did they take my lease back four months before the end of the term, I profited $4000 on top. The rep told me my model (white, Advanced Package) was the most popular model and they were only five in my entire metro area.

I'm with you @Daekwan on the efficiency of the Model Y SR. The acceleration still gets gasps when I demonstrate it to passengers. It's rare that I need or use what its got in day to day driving. A Performance or even a Dual Motor doesn't interest me from that perspective. Maybe having all wheel drive will be a benefit in the winter in snow and ice but don't get too much of that around here. Otherwise, why carry around all the extra weight of the bigger battery and the extra motor?

I'm with you @Daekwan on the efficiency of the Model Y SR. The acceleration still gets gasps when I demonstrate it to passengers. It's rare that I need or use what its got in day to day driving. A Performance or even a Dual Motor doesn't interest me from that perspective. Maybe having all wheel drive will be a benefit in the winter in snow and ice but don't get too much of that around here. Otherwise, why carry around all the extra weight of the bigger battery and the extra motor?
Yeah, I totally forgot about AWD. I feel like I've never needed it. I've driven my car in light snow.. and the RWD YSR with the factory Goodyear F1's do okay enough to get me home. I also live in DC which means we rarely get heavy snow.. and even with light snow, the roads are completely clear the next day. I'm also permanently working from home now.. so it's just hard to imagine a scenario where I absolutely need to get from point A to B, during a heavy snowstorm and my RWD car wouldn't make it.

And this is nothing new. I daily drove a 2007 Corvette just fine for 7 years in the DC area. Had Michelin Pilot AS3's all around. Sold that car with 98,000 miles on it. I actually bought it to use as a commuter vehicle.. most people don't realize Corvettes can easily avg 30mpg if you are primarily doing highway driving. 65mph in a newer Vette has the engine turning about 1200rpm.. the motor is barely working above idle when cruising at highway speeds.

AWD will definitely help with hard acceleration. And I've never driven a car capable of 0-60 in the 3-second range. The Vette was already scary fast, I imagine the MYP is almost sickening level acceleration where some people might get nauseous. It would be ridiculously cool to smoke 99.99% of the vehicles that pull up beside you at a stoplight. That said the 0-60 in 5.3 second time for the MYSR is probably faster than 98% of the vehicles at a random stoplight.. so It's not like the Standard Range is slow by any measurement. I have absolutely no issue getting in front of every other car when leaving a stoplight or merging onto the highway. It is absolutely amazing this is the SLOWEST car Tesla sells lol.

Reactions: timeshifter
F82006C6-79E8-4C78-931A-CFD3437B1B90.jpeg

Reactions: Nolimits and Ken_Y
mine was blue/white. Excellent car but i just couldn`t pass getting MYLR for same price. One thing im concerned is all this issues i read about new cars. My car had none of those (phantom breaking,hum noise...)
Yeah my MYSR is virtually perfect. Still some quality issues with internal panel fitment, but you would have to look for them really hard to notice.

The vehicle has driven & performed basically perfect. The newest ones seems to have a lot of complaints.

I will never understand how you guys get amazing offers for your vehicles… unless Vroom/Carvana literally don’t know what the standard range is and they turn around and sell them to clueless customers as a long range and ~320 miles of range… I’m which case they’re getting sued at some point…

My 2020 LR with 5,800 miles, blue/white AND FSD is only getting a valuation of $58,600. So a vehicle that was like $20k more sales price AND half the mileage gets $3,600 more in valuation….

I will never understand how you guys get amazing offers for your vehicles… unless Vroom/Carvana literally don’t know what the standard range is and they turn around and sell them to clueless customers as a long range and ~320 miles of range… I’m which case they’re getting sued at some point…

My 2020 LR with 5,800 miles, blue/white AND FSD is only getting a valuation of $58,600. So a vehicle that was like $20k more sales price AND half the mileage gets $3,600 more in valuation….

Because the people buying these cars don't care. The only thing that matters is they found a Tesla and they can drive it home today. Somebody paying $60K for a used Y (any used Y).. isn't concerned with value or features.. they are concerned with immediate gratification. The vehicle is available right now, it's sitting on a dealership lot (or website) and they can finance it today.. and take it home right now to show to all their family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. With the current vehicle market, the price has gone out the window. There are people paying $130K for an Escalade. Virtually every recently built car is worth significantly more than its ever been in history, there is a dealer asking $97,000 for a RAV4 Prime ($50K mark up) and I still wouldn't be surprised if someone bought it: A Dealer Is Asking $97,000 For A Toyota RAV4 Prime

Also, the reality is the 200+ miles of range is fine for 99% of driving most people are doing. I can tell you with a straight face that I've driven my SR several times on trips up to 1000 miles in a single weekend.. and literally, the only difference is a few more charging stops for a few more minutes. From the inside and outside the SR & LR are virtually identical. Same premium interior, same wheel & color options, the only apparent difference is clicking the energy/battery icon and viewing the estimated range. Look around.. most EV's come with about 250miles of range and everything from the ID.4 to Mustang Mach-E is selling as fast as they can build them.

Reactions: timeshifter

They don’t value FSD. I can’t even tell if most of the models have it when I look at Vroom/Carvana/carmax

Because the people buying these cars don't care. The only thing that matters is they found a Tesla and they can drive it home today. Somebody paying $60K for a used Y (any used Y).. isn't concerned with value or features.. they are concerned with immediate gratification. The vehicle is available right now, it's sitting on a dealership lot (or website) and they can finance it today.. and take it home right now to show to all their family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. With the current vehicle market, the price has gone out the window. There are people paying $130K for an Escalade. Virtually every recently built car is worth significantly more than its ever been in history, there is a dealer asking $97,000 for a RAV4 Prime ($50K mark up) and I still wouldn't be surprised if someone bought it: A Dealer Is Asking $97,000 For A Toyota RAV4 Prime

Also, the reality is the 200+ miles of range is fine for 99% of driving most people are doing. I can tell you with a straight face that I've driven my SR several times on trips up to 1000 miles in a single weekend.. and literally, the only difference is a few more charging stops for a few more minutes. From the inside and outside the SR & LR are virtually identical. Same premium interior, same wheel & color options, the only apparent difference is clicking the energy/battery icon and viewing the estimated range. Look around.. most EV's come with about 250miles of range and everything from the ID.4 to Mustang Mach-E is selling as fast as they can build them.
Right, but these guys are getting the easy Vroom/Carvana deals, not private party stuff.

I wouldn’t be annoyed if these were private party sales which are often a pain in the butt, but Vroom and Carvana are super simple…

They don’t value FSD. I can’t even tell if most of the models have it when I look at Vroom/Carvana/carmax
Oh you’re absolutely right, literally $0 difference if I tick the FSD option or not…

Man, if I could get about $68k (I forgot i also have acceleration boost) I would jump at it. That represents about a $5k discount (almost a buck a mile, hey, that used to be what Tesla did). Would swap into a Performance without FSD then :)