Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but it only says month and year. I think for exact date, you have to ask the SA

2022 Tesla Updates Tracker (Responses)
Looks like VINs with 356000 or newer are getting the AMD Ryzen processors. Rumor is, any build date after Jan 6 2022 is getting the AMD and new LI-on battery, possible rear double-paned glass.
There are definitely some Intel builds all the way through Jan 8 at least based on reports around here. I think Jan 9 onwards is promising and most likely definitely Jan 11 or so onwards, but sample sizes are still pretty small as there haven't been a ton of deliveries lately.

2022 Tesla Updates Tracker (Responses)
Looks like VINs with 356000 or newer are getting the AMD Ryzen processors. Rumor is, any build date after Jan 6 2022 is getting the AMD and new LI-on battery, possible rear double-paned glass.
My vin (build date on 1/7) is 355xxx....I'm asking if it comes with intel or AMD now but suspect it'll be Intel (2 other 355xxx users did confirm it was Intel). Will post here with any confirmation.

Mine is 355xxx built on Jan 5. SA confirmed it’s Atom. I’m thinking either refusing the delivery since I still have my other car and waiting for next one, or if they tell me I can’t refuse and order will get cancelled, I’ll be accepting and then placing another order right away. I think I can break even on my MYLR by the time the new car gets delivered

Hello all,

I just spoke with Tesla Service (not my SA) and they were able to track down my Model Y. They informed me that my car has the intel chip. They also stated that although some of their production lines are using the AMD chips they are not 100% transitioning until end of Q2 2022 and AMD chips are few and far between. It sounds like they will continue to become more and more prevalent as time goes on, but until that date it will continue to be a roll of the dice. The AMD chip would have been a nice to have, but I dont plan on delaying my delivery 6-8 months to "guarantee" a car with the AMD chip. I was told a long time ago with Teslas that there is always something new around the corner. If you continue to delay for latest update you will never take delivery. Nothing wrong with waiting if thats what you decide to do, but I for one am too excited to wait that long.

Side note... Honestly, if it wasn't for these forums I probably would have never even thought to check what chip was installed (ignorance is bliss). Good luck everyone and enjoy your cars!

My Cars info
Build: Model Y Long Range
Color: MSM
Interior: White premium
Wheels: 20 inch induction
Born on Date: 1/6/22
VIN assigned: 1/7/22
VIN: 355XXX

They also stated that although some of their production lines are using the AMD chips they are not 100% transitioning until end of Q2 2022 and AMD chips are few and far between. It sounds like they will continue to become more and more prevalent as time goes on, but until that date it will continue to be a roll of the dice.
this was my concern. Thanks for sharing although source is still SA so… <shrug>

I kinda see this car like I do my iPhone... whatever version I have will probably be good enough, but if the trade in value is high, then why not upgrade to newer tech? I can't see myself keeping it for more than 2 years, so as nice as it would be to have the AMD, I'll take whatever they give me because I'm gonna replace it anyway.

Reactions: Hvnleigh
this was my concern. Thanks for sharing although source is still SA so… <shrug>
Tesla did officially state that these changes would not be gradually phased into cars and transitioned by the end of Q2 2022. Until then I think all we have to go on is the word from Service Centers and SA's. It sounds like the only way to guarantee receipt of an AMD chip would be to wait until that transition is complete.

Reactions: Hvnleigh
I kinda see this car like I do my iPhone... whatever version I have will probably be good enough, but if the trade in value is high, then why not upgrade to newer tech? I can't see myself keeping it for more than 2 years, so as nice as it would be to have the AMD, I'll take whatever they give me because I'm gonna replace it anyway.
I just sold my model 3 to Carvana in November. The "type of GPU" that was installed was not something they requested or even list on their site. I dont know how much that affects resale value too be honest.

I just sold my model 3 to Carvana in November. The "type of GPU" that was installed was not something they requested or even list on their site. I dont know how much that affects resale value too be honest.
It won't if the car is just being traded in since they go by auction values anyway. Even in private sales, the vast majority of people won't know or care.

Reactions: bnikel
Tesla did officially state that these changes would not be gradually phased into cars and transitioned by the end of Q2 2022. Until then I think all we have to go on is the word from Service Centers and SA's. It sounds like the only way to guarantee receipt of an AMD chip would be to wait until that transition is complete.
where did they officially state this?