Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some help on software 2022 vs 2023.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

New 2023 model Y owner here. I got the first software update yesterday and currently my software version is 2023.6.11. I subscribed for FSD, but I dont see option to turn it ON. I heard that because of some recall, Tesla disabled it. But people on 2022 version has access to it. So confused, the latest software should have latest updates right? Anyone has idea about when FSD beta will be enabled for new owners with 2023 software version?

Thanks

There’s multiple threads on this. FSD beta and regular softwares are on different branches. Your car is on a newer software version than the current FSD beta software version. Software can not be downgraded.

You will just have to wait until FSD beta gets updated to a version newer than your car.

Reactions: Pianewman
I agree with @E90alex. Once in a great while (2, maybe 3 times a year) Tesla publishes an FSD-b update load that brings the version being published for FSD-b up to date with the load numbers being used by everybody else; the last time this happened was, I think, in December. In the meantime we all on the FSD-b tree don't get any nifty improvements that the rest of the crowd gets, except that we keep on getting FSD-b point releases. That may or may not be an improvement from point release to point release, but that's why we're Beta Testers.

So we don't get light shows, functionality improvements, and what-all that the rest of the fleet gets until long after that stuff has been published.

And, just to make it clear: While kayoodling around with FSD-b is kind of cool, from a techie, "It's Brand New! And I've Got It!" point of view, FSD-b is very definitely not for the faint of heart. While the following list of things isn't precisely common, they're all behavior that means that one drives FSD-b with strict attention and white knuckles:
  • Runs red lights after a stop.
  • Gets into the wrong lane and turns off into never-never land.
  • Jerks the wheel mightily after attempting, or succeeding in a turn.
  • Waits what seems like forever at stop signs, enough so to freak out other drivers in all directions.
  • Creeps half-way across an intersection looking for oncoming traffic, whether or not there is any, then accelerates madly in whatever direction it's supposed to go.
As weird as this all sounds, it's perfectly safe to drive around with FSD-b, so long as one is prepared to and does take over at any moment. Only the suicidal and YouTubers trying for clickies make it seem like the car can drive itself anywhere.

Before 10.69.xx, when the installed base grew larger by far, there were reasons why Tesla required a high Safety Score before one was allowed to use FSD-b: The software would definitely try and injure or kill the unwary. It's not quite so bad now, but if one is thinking about reading a book while letting the car drive one somewhere, This Is Not The FSD-b You Were Looking For.

So: If you want to help Tesla (and, to some extent, yourself) by supplying bug reports out the wazoo to help them get to an FSD version that Ma and Pa Sixpack can use without concern, then, fine, join us in the Beta program. You'll be doing beta testing, not just driving around. To do that: Stop accepting updates from Tesla. Eventually, they'll come up with a 2023.X.X version with FSD-b built in; current FSD-b is on 2022.46.15, which gets one the 11.3.6 FSD-b variant.

If one enjoys a stress-free life.. then FSD-b is probably not for you.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jpfive and LBM4
My model 3 is using software 2023.6.11. I am a monthly subscriber for enhanced autopilot. I believe I saw that FSD beta 11.4 is now running on 2023.6.15. If that is correct, then why can’t I turn FSD beta on in my car? I just have to keep waiting until they pick me/send it to me? It’s the main reason I do the monthly subscription is to use the new FSD beta and see how it’s progressing…..

I was afraid you would say that. Thanks anyway for confirming there is nothing I’m missing…..
Yup. We're starting to see some, "early adopter" videos on You Tube. A wild guess says a couple of weeks, but it's not unknown for that to stretch out if the development team finds a nasty bug or other. Don't worry, the rest of us with the Beta are waiting just like you are.