Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is 355xxx built on Jan 5. SA confirmed it’s Atom. I’m thinking either refusing the delivery since I still have my other car and waiting for next one, or if they tell me I can’t refuse and order will get cancelled, I’ll be accepting and then placing another order right away. I think I can break even on my MYLR by the time the new car gets delivered

Truthfully I'd be content either way. Not sure what the Ryzen chip is going to improve in terms of user experience other than gaming. I have the Atom in my '21 M3 and never once have I thought anything in the UI felt laggy. I certainly wouldn't cancel my reservation over this, that seems a bit extreme.

It won't if the car is just being traded in since they go by auction values anyway. Even in private sales, the vast majority of people won't know or care.
Too be honest I have no idea what GPU was in my 2020 Model 3. I never thought to check. Ill just go back under the rock I crawled out from and be happy with my car next week lol

Mine is 355xxx built on Jan 5. SA confirmed it’s Atom. I’m thinking either refusing the delivery since I still have my other car and waiting for next one, or if they tell me I can’t refuse and order will get cancelled, I’ll be accepting and then placing another order right away. I think I can break even on my MYLR by the time the new car gets delivered
If you live in a state with sales tax, you won’t break even. If that’s your concern, it’s best to reject delivery if you have Atom, eat the $250 IF they cancel your order, and place a new one.

Better be out $250 in order fees than $2500 in sales tax

Reactions: Daekwan and tm1v2
I received a vin yesterday, and I just called the store to see if the MY had the AMD chip. Sadly, even though the build date was yesterday, the SA said it had the Intel chip. I've been on the fence about buying the car right now vs. later when more improvements are done (4680 etc.), but I do have a reservation from last year that is $5K less than the current price, so it is hard to pass that up. Hmm...

I received a vin yesterday, and I just called the store to see if the MY had the AMD chip. Sadly, even though the build date was yesterday, the SA said it had the Intel chip. I've been on the fence about buying the car right now vs. later when more improvements are done (4680 etc.), but I do have a reservation from last year that is $5K less than the current price, so it is hard to pass that up. Hmm...
im about to be on this boat, assuming i get my VIN soon. just hoping its AMD chip for now. But i dont think they are giving AMD chips to people who ordered for 5000 less. Spectulation but idk seems relavent

That crossed my mind, but it seems like a lot of trouble from a production standpoint. "No soup for you!"
thats the hope right, but from what someone said earlier.. if they have a line still running Intel.. id make if they just fullfilling all old orders with intel..

on the contrary tho, if that was the case. I'd have my car already so i guess not. IDK its all random,
1) Cant wait for VIN
2) After VIN, cant wait to figure out if its AMD

Reactions: Hvnleigh
I ordered back when it was $5k less than now, and I haven't delayed my order or anything, so I guess we'll have to see. My VIN seems to fall in the range where the AMD chip is possible, and the SA said that it was, but he could definitely be wrong.

Plus, the MYP orders happen a lot faster, so it's likely that anyone getting one of those had ordered after the price increases, and it looks like some folks still aren't getting the AMD chips.

Hmm, looks like the full transition to AMD might not be happening as fast as rumored and perhaps there will be a mix of Intel and AMD all the way through Q2, probably with less Intel and more AMD along the way. The real question now is going to be what the current mix of Intel v.s. AMD is and how quickly that will ramp up to mostly/all AMD.

Reactions: bnikel