Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicle cant enter MI until it's paid in full, title, and plated. No Tesla financing available either. OR I can drive to Chicago or OH to pick it up, and be able to get Tesla financing, etc. So they basically need to truck it to IL or OH, do all the paperwork and plating, then be able to truck it into MI, then be able to schedule a pickup

Thanks dealerships....
The More customers they piss, the worse future they will face. If they have a future at all.

Reactions: lemkeant
So I’ve gone through 31 pages of this thread and didn’t really see the answer. What is the benefit of the AMD chip other than a faster loading screen? At this time there doesn’t really seem to be anything that special other than that unless I’m missing something?

So I’ve gone through 31 pages of this thread and didn’t really see the answer. What is the benefit of the AMD chip other than a faster loading screen? At this time there doesn’t really seem to be anything that special other than that unless I’m missing something?
Think of it this way. Everything you do on the touchscreen uses this chip. It is not just faster loading, it's a much smoother operation throughout. Even things like pinch-zooming the navigation map, reviewing Sentry mode videos, or using the backup reverse camera work much better. There are a couple of comparison videos showing the speed difference between the older Intel Atom and the new AMD.. and it's a very impressive difference. Anybody taking delivery right now or in the future.. should absolutely make sure their vehicle has this upgrade.

The extra processing power will only become even more noticeably different.. as future OTA updates tend to always slow down the existing touchscreen interface because more features and capabilities will be added.

Last edited:
Reactions: buddhafree
This article discusses that the AMD chip is causing range DECREASES in the Model 3 due to being less efficient. It goes on to say that the Model Y apparently has a range INCREASE which is likely attributed to a different battery.

Last edited:
As someone with a 2017 model S who got MCU 1 right before they transitioned to MCU 2, my screen was perfectly fine at the beginning the same way the intel is perfect now. 4/5 years later, my car doesn’t get any new updates and I need to get MCU 2 to even get the FSD

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash
It's like comparing iPhone X to iPhone 13. Both are useable, one completes same operations quicker.

You aren't missing anything. At the moment it is simply faster loading times. It's more future proof to have the newer chip and, in theory, they could release new features, games, programs, that run significantly better on the newer chip and/or don't run on the older chip. It's unlikely to be much as they will likely continue to code for the lowest common denominator. Eventually, when the Atom vehicles are much older and a smaller percent of the fleet, we will likely see them losing support for updates and certain features, but that's likely years out.

Reactions: MikeHawk