Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some customers are getting offer of $7500 off + 10k free miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that’s already taken delivery and received the credit. Either the $3750 or the $7500 how was the credit classified? A friend took delivery yesteday and was given paperwork so that when she does her taxes for 2022 she can claim the credit. Tesla just did it front end instead of waiting for IRS to give it to you. But if that’s the case there may be lots of people that could owe $ back later.
Something is lost in translation here. There is no federal tax credit available for any Tesla in 2022. Nothing to claim. The discount is exactly that, a discount off the MSRP.

Dang! They must have a crapload of cars in stock to unload! I got $3,750. OK- I'm happy with that, but geez! It should be a buying frenzy. Right? Maybe not. If $3,750 didn't work, then if 10K SC miles didn't work, then let's give them a deal worth almost $9,000. And if that doesn't? Are people just not buying cars? Still no word if the tax credit will be $3,750 or $7,500. And now the U.S. won't decide that until the second Q of 2023. I have to think that Tesla might be getting kinda worried about their stock price slide and what Musk might be up to, and what their 4Q delivery numbers are amounting up to. In China, the delivery stats are turning rather bleak. Employee layoffs looming in two of three countries, hiring freezes and shifts being reduced. I'm glad I have my Y now, but I think we're only looking at very the beginning of much greater price reductions, all around to spur some demand. Sandy Munro is predicting Model Y prices could get as low as the high 30K range before long if Tesla sees mounting price competition worldwide.

As you mentioned, Tesla is famous for end of quarter pushes to meet metrics, and the pressure for end-of-year must be even higher. So, as they were up against poor end of year numbers because of people postponing delivery to 2023 for the tax credity, they just decided to offer the same amount as the tax credit. Good for us buyers either way, unless you took delivery just before the offer.

Now, I read lots of gloom and doom for Tesla order numbers, if I recall, in Bloomberg. So, your analyst looks at something like 23 new comparable EV models coming next year, and says, OK, well, Tesla's numbers *must* go way down; maybe not to 1/24th of what they were, but certainly way less. Here's my prediction: Tesla numbers will go down a bit next year, but NOT huge amounts. And Tesla's numbers won't even begin to significantly drop until public chargers are at least as reliable and fast as Tesla's. I'm betting only small drops in resale value too (the current situation that 3+ year old cars with average miles on them cost as much as new is simply not sustainable).

Why won't 23 new EVs coming out this next year kill Tesla?
- MY and M3 will remain roughly $60k cars compared to quite a few $80-$100k cars in that list; those will simply *never* get significant sales.
-Most of these "coming next year" models are not even in production yet (e.g. Fiskar), and note every single EV I have ever followed came out *way* behind their "estimated" range when they actually started deliveries. As in, way behind M3/Y.
And then there are the two killers:
-Software. VW has failed to fix the ID4 software in what, 1.5 years and counting! Someone here recently wrote that polestar software sucks, and someone else says EV6 software is marginal. This is just a way bigger deal than car companies think. And Tesla continues to be the best; you can argue how good it is in an absolute sense, but there seems to be a consensus that it gets you where you are going without too much agony.
- And then there's charging. Youtube is chock full of "I had the worst experience..." for public chargers. Tesla people all say "it's fine". Someone on this site said, "[public chargers] will be fixed. [They HAVE] to be." Let's say that it will be. OK, when? No one is in charge of meeting a target availability, and no one takes responsibility for them being down. And even if one network did fix these problems, no one network could possibly cover all of big countries like the US. There's no way this will be fixed in a year; maybe 2 or 3 years, maybe. But what is to say it wouldn't take 10 years? Or More?

Conclusion: Splashy upcoming new models will hurt Tesla's order numbers (and therefore your resale value), but only slightly for a while; then, as the new ones inevitably disappoint, numbers and prices will come back up, and they won't come down significantly until public charging vastly improves...and the new model cars prove themselves. You heard it here first. And I bet the price of my soon-to-arrive MY on that predication. (On the other hand, I never saw Elon's recent antics coming, which have turned off plenty of people, so, caveat emptor.)

As you mentioned, Tesla is famous for end of quarter pushes to meet metrics, and the pressure for end-of-year must be even higher. So, as they were up against poor end of year numbers because of people postponing delivery to 2023 for the tax credity, they just decided to offer the same amount as the tax credit. Good for us buyers either way, unless you took delivery just before the offer.

Now, I read lots of gloom and doom for Tesla order numbers, if I recall, in Bloomberg. So, your analyst looks at something like 23 new comparable EV models coming next year, and says, OK, well, Tesla's numbers *must* go way down; maybe not to 1/24th of what they were, but certainly way less. Here's my prediction: Tesla numbers will go down a bit next year, but NOT huge amounts. And Tesla's numbers won't even begin to significantly drop until public chargers are at least as reliable and fast as Tesla's. I'm betting only small drops in resale value too (the current situation that 3+ year old cars with average miles on them cost as much as new is simply not sustainable).

Why won't 23 new EVs coming out this next year kill Tesla?
- MY and M3 will remain roughly $60k cars compared to quite a few $80-$100k cars in that list; those will simply *never* get significant sales.
-Most of these "coming next year" models are not even in production yet (e.g. Fiskar), and note every single EV I have ever followed came out *way* behind their "estimated" range when they actually started deliveries. As in, way behind M3/Y.
And then there are the two killers:
-Software. VW has failed to fix the ID4 software in what, 1.5 years and counting! Someone here recently wrote that polestar software sucks, and someone else says EV6 software is marginal. This is just a way bigger deal than car companies think. And Tesla continues to be the best; you can argue how good it is in an absolute sense, but there seems to be a consensus that it gets you where you are going without too much agony.
- And then there's charging. Youtube is chock full of "I had the worst experience..." for public chargers. Tesla people all say "it's fine". Someone on this site said, "[public chargers] will be fixed. [They HAVE] to be." Let's say that it will be. OK, when? No one is in charge of meeting a target availability, and no one takes responsibility for them being down. And even if one network did fix these problems, no one network could possibly cover all of big countries like the US. There's no way this will be fixed in a year; maybe 2 or 3 years, maybe. But what is to say it wouldn't take 10 years? Or More?

Conclusion: Splashy upcoming new models will hurt Tesla's order numbers (and therefore your resale value), but only slightly for a while; then, as the new ones inevitably disappoint, numbers and prices will come back up, and they won't come down significantly until public charging vastly improves...and the new model cars prove themselves. You heard it here first. And I bet the price of my soon-to-arrive MY on that predication. (On the other hand, I never saw Elon's recent antics coming, which have turned off plenty of people, so, caveat emptor.)
No way do I see Tesla sales decreasing especially with the Cybertruck coming out this year. Tesla adjusts price based on demand so when demand gets back down to normal figures, they reduce cost. Given Tesla gets somewhere between 20-30% profit on every car they sell, there is a lot of room to drop the price if volume is more important to them. New EV entrants will eat into ICE sales, not Tesla sales. That is MY prediction. Analyst obsession with EV market share is absurd. Of course Tesla’s market share will decrease as the world converts from ICE to BEV. In a BEV world, even a 20 million car/year Tesla will have a significantly smaller “market share” than they do now.

My partner called to change out the exterior color to MSM but was denied. They said no more Model Ys in CA. I checked Tesla's Existing Inventory, and I noted several in the Bay Area. Sometimes, I am get so frustrated with Tesla's pre-sale/delivery support.
Are you willing to drive to the Bay Area to pick it up before 1/31? If so, make that known to your SA and they should switch out the VIN.

The problem is that they likely can’t get one transported to LA in time for you to take delivery before the end of the year, and that’s the only thing they care about.

Are you willing to drive to the Bay Area to pick it up before 1/31? If so, make that known to your SA and they should switch out the VIN.

The problem is that they likely can’t get one transported to LA in time for you to take delivery before the end of the year, and that’s the only thing they care about.
Yeah, we did say that they are willing to do that. It's a short flight. This is after calling the 518 number like 12 times.

Had my MYLR delivery delayed till January from a April 2022 order. Took the bait of $7500 and 10K Supercharger miles and received my Tesla on Monday, Dec. 26. Original order was for $64440 but with discount it came to $56940. Then California taxes, fees, registration and license it was a grand total of $62210. The Vallejo,CA. Service center was delivering 53 Teslas on Monday and averaging 50 cars a day. A couple came in and tried to buy a grey Model 3 as if they were in a traditional dealership but there were none available. Communication with Tesla was stressful as no handholding during the buying process. USAA bank wanted the Dealer Funding Request on Saturday (Christmas Eve!!!). Called the Tesla phone number and waited on hold for about an hour and the Rep helped but being the weekend and Monday was a bank holiday, I didn't think I would make the Wednesday delivery date. Then Monday morning Tesla calls and asks if I could pick-up the car that afternoon as all was clear with the bank and loan. WOW. Everything came together at once!!! So I got a coupon for the free Mobile Home Charger, Matrix headlights, Cargo Cover?, and I'm a happy camper. VIN: PF631....

I removed the hold on my MYLR7 order on the 22nd and I was told it's "likely" that I'll be able to take delivery by year end, not holding my breath though as I still have no VIN today, the EDD on the app did change from TBD to Dec 2022, but not sure they can pull it off with only 4 days left. If they can't then I'll just cancel as I can't put the order back on hold, took a chance and at worst I'll lose $250.

I removed the hold on my MYLR7 order on the 22nd and I was told it's "likely" that I'll be able to take delivery by year end, not holding my breath though as I still have no VIN today, the EDD on the app did change from TBD to Dec 2022, but not sure they can pull it off with only 4 days left. If they can't then I'll just cancel as I can't put the order back on hold, took a chance and at worst I'll lose $250.
Please let us know how this turns out. I’m hoping you get it in time!

You put the car on hold till next year. They obliged yet now you’re upset it didn’t go like you wanted the third time. Sad but that’s how it works some times.

You put the car on hold till next year. They obliged yet now you’re upset it didn’t go like you wanted the third time. Sad but that’s how it works some times.
Where did you get the idea that I'm upset? Tesla has been nothing but accommodating and forthright throughout the entire process, from letting me put the order on hold for 5 month, to disclosing that removing the hold in hoping to get the $7500 credit will not be a guaranteed success. I'm fully aware of the consequences and made a conscious decision. There is nothing "sad" and "upsetting" about this whole experience, let's try not to be so negative this time of the year.

Where did you get the idea that I'm upset? Tesla has been nothing but accommodating and forthright throughout the entire process, from letting me put the order on hold for 5 month, to disclosing that removing the hold in hoping to get the $7500 credit will not be a guaranteed success. I'm fully aware of the consequences and made a conscious decision. There is nothing "sad" and "upsetting" about this whole experience, let's try not to be so negative this time of the year.
Maybe it’s the If they can’t deliver I will just cancel statement. That seemed a bit negative.