Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some customers are getting offer of $7500 off + 10k free miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a model Y LR AWD I ordered in Feb 2022 at a $3000 discount from current price. Originally scheduled for Feb 2023 delivery. Order in hold. Should I / could I unhold the delivery / take delivery by Dec 31 2022 and get Feb 2022 pricing ($3000 less) with additional $7500 off and 10k supercharger miles? Or just wait ... I will qualify for federal 2023 us tax rebate. Thoughts?
You actually get more than $7500 off as it lowers the taxable amount if you do it now. If you do the credit you won't see it till 2024.

How is your price only $3000 less if ordered in 02/22? It should be around $7000 less than current pricing.
Base MYLR in 02/22 was $58,990. March 7th went to $59,990. March 14th went to $62,990. June 15th to $65,990.

I would get the car now as there is still no confirmation if MY qualifies as an SUV or if it will qualify for the full $7500.

Reactions: Ken43
You actually get more than $7500 off as it lowers the taxable amount if you do it now. If you do the credit you won't see it till 2024.

How is your price only $3000 less if ordered in 02/22? It should be around $7000 less than current pricing.
Base MYLR in 02/22 was $58,990. March 7th went to $59,990. March 14th went to $62,990. June 15th to $65,990.

I would get the car now as there is still no confirmation if MY qualifies as an SUV or if it will qualify for the full $7500.
My original post had an error. Sorry. I ordered at the end of March 2022, so my order price was $62,990. It's a blur to me as I originally ordered a Y back in August 2019, but it was a LR RWD and Tesla never produced this variant, but Tesla strung me along for 2 years until Tesla cancelled my order 😐. Meanwhile Dec 23,2022 i took y'all's advice and unholded my march 2022 order and behold I have a VIN ! Hopefully I can actually get this elusive vehicle by Dec 31, 2022.

I think more price cuts are likely coming in 2023, just gotta give it some time.

w/ the $7500 tax credit? Not likely (even though quite a few folks/families won't qualify).
Sorry. Disagree. $7500 tax rebate may be in effect for the first few months, but it likely will drop lower after the full rule kicks in. More importantly, they have volume targets to meet in a rapidly slowing economy and either they have to improve the product hardware substantially or lower the price point. Maybe not the MY or MX, but the target person for the M3/MY is also the person juggling inflationary pressures, most like to have job layoffs/hours cut-offs, and sensitive to borrowing costs.

It’s a bubble and unfortunately it’s not a product worth anywhere close to 68-73k.

Reactions: cdub and Daekwan
It’s a bubble and unfortunately it’s not a product worth anywhere close to 68-73k.

<<shrug>>
Value opinions aside, if Musk is taken at his word then a fair amount of the price increases in the past two years were supply chain related and as that price pressure resolves Tesla prices may float back to where they were, albeit corrected for inflation.

I do think that Tesla and Musk have been consistent in viewing scale as the end game. I hope that continues and expands. Lower prices will be part of that process.

Reactions: house9 and Mike7564
Unlikely, Unless tesla does not qualify tax credit.
There is plenty of room to cut prices further even with the tax credit, and I think that will be the likely reality next year. A Model Y LR was <$50k at the start of 2021 before the market went nuts.

Auto prices are part of the inflation metrics being watched by the Fed, and interest rates are likely staying high until prices like these continue coming down

Last edited:
There is plenty of room to cut prices further even with the tax credit, and I think that will be the likely reality next year. A Model Y LR was <$50k at the start of 2021 before the market went nuts.
Agree and disagree. They do have room to cut price but this does not mean they will do. The cost of building on is different now with increasing labor cost and other costs. Also the price is based on the marketing. It is hard to find another EV at this price and issue same performance at this point. In the other hand, if Tesla qualify for tax credit while most other EV maker does not, this will be another win point for not cutting price for Tesla. Check DOE's list. It is pretty short for now. Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicles with Final Assembly in North America

Overall, you won't see price drop before IRS finalized the guidelines at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and cusetownusa
<<shrug>>
Value opinions aside, if Musk is taken at his word then a fair amount of the price increases in the past two years were supply chain related and as that price pressure resolves Tesla prices may float back to where they were, albeit corrected for inflation.

I do think that Tesla and Musk have been consistent in viewing scale as the end game. I hope that continues and expands. Lower prices will be part of that process.
Thoughtful response. Thank you.

Agree and disagree. They do have room to cut price but this does not mean they will do. The cost of building on is different now with increasing labor cost and other costs. Also the price is based on the marketing. It is hard to find another EV at this price and issue same performance at this point. In the other hand, if Tesla qualify for tax credit while most other EV maker does not, this will be another win point for not cutting price for Tesla. Check DOE's list. It is pretty short for now. Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicles with Final Assembly in North America
Hmmm. Peculiar scenario. You think Tesla will meet the credit but but most other EV makers will not? Besides lucid etc, seems most all manufacturers (legacy and pureEV) have offerings at similar/lower price points with similar (or sometimes additional) product features (excluding the charging network advantage - which Tesla is unfortunately presumably opening up).

Prob just far too many variables pushing things in different directions for anyone to reasonably predict. Fuel prices, economy, EV rebates, supercharging network, new products from competitors, Elon’s right wing rants alienating the environmental left, etc.

Enjoy the ride everyone. And no point in having buyers remorse. No one knows the future.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
For Those who don't qualify for Tax credit, Tesla will have to reduce price. Which is why I think Tesla will have Different MY Trims..

MY SR - ~$55k
MY LR - ~$62k

This will work for both types of buyers. One who qualify for Tax credit will pick cheaper option. Others can get long range.

I am assuming MY won't qualify as SUV so limit of $55k for tax credit.

For Those who don't qualify for Tax credit, Tesla will have to reduce price. Which is why I think Tesla will have Different MY Trims..

MY SR - ~$55k
MY LR - ~$62k

This will work for both types of buyers. One who qualify for Tax credit will pick cheaper option. Others can get long range.

I am assuming MY won't qualify as SUV so limit of $55k for tax credit.
If the Model Y doesn't qualify as an SUV then neither will the Ford Mach-E. I'm not sure what makes something a "SUV" these days anyway.