Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some customers are getting offer of $7500 off + 10k free miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bit the bullet and bought a Nov 22' build MYP with 1,100 miles on this afternoon. Price was roughly the same as getting the $7,500 discount but I do have USS and it's glorious. haha

Looks like I've got lots to brush up on. I'm pretty tech savvy but I don't suggest trying to learn the Tesla interface WHILE driving down the interstate at 75-80mph. I did have to look up how to turn the exceeding speed limit chime as it was driving me nuts! About a 80 mile drive home and enjoyed the ride.

I removed the hold on my MYLR7 order on the 22nd and I was told it's "likely" that I'll be able to take delivery by year end, not holding my breath though as I still have no VIN today, the EDD on the app did change from TBD to Dec 2022, but not sure they can pull it off with only 4 days left. If they can't then I'll just cancel as I can't put the order back on hold, took a chance and at worst I'll lose $250.
Hey, I hope this turns out for you. I asked to take the offer to go off hold on the 22nd, same as you. They seemed to fart around for a couple days, finally got a VIN on the 26th, then delivery date for 28th, then on 27th they postponed that delivery until tomorrow... so fingers and toes crossed.

Yeah, we did say that they are willing to do that. It's a short flight. This is after calling the 518 number like 12 times.
I'm really sorry you're not having a good experience. At some point I got some kind of phone number that sends and accepts texts, I think that is an SA's phone number, and they have been really responsive and everything's been really easy. So, ask if there is a way to communicate by text. After that, I really wish you the best of luck and happy holidays.

As you mentioned, Tesla is famous for end of quarter pushes to meet metrics, and the pressure for end-of-year must be even higher. So, as they were up against poor end of year numbers because of people postponing delivery to 2023 for the tax credity, they just decided to offer the same amount as the tax credit. Good for us buyers either way, unless you took delivery just before the offer.

Now, I read lots of gloom and doom for Tesla order numbers, if I recall, in Bloomberg. So, your analyst looks at something like 23 new comparable EV models coming next year, and says, OK, well, Tesla's numbers *must* go way down; maybe not to 1/24th of what they were, but certainly way less. Here's my prediction: Tesla numbers will go down a bit next year, but NOT huge amounts. And Tesla's numbers won't even begin to significantly drop until public chargers are at least as reliable and fast as Tesla's. I'm betting only small drops in resale value too (the current situation that 3+ year old cars with average miles on them cost as much as new is simply not sustainable).

Why won't 23 new EVs coming out this next year kill Tesla?
- MY and M3 will remain roughly $60k cars compared to quite a few $80-$100k cars in that list; those will simply *never* get significant sales.
-Most of these "coming next year" models are not even in production yet (e.g. Fiskar), and note every single EV I have ever followed came out *way* behind their "estimated" range when they actually started deliveries. As in, way behind M3/Y.
And then there are the two killers:
-Software. VW has failed to fix the ID4 software in what, 1.5 years and counting! Someone here recently wrote that polestar software sucks, and someone else says EV6 software is marginal. This is just a way bigger deal than car companies think. And Tesla continues to be the best; you can argue how good it is in an absolute sense, but there seems to be a consensus that it gets you where you are going without too much agony.
- And then there's charging. Youtube is chock full of "I had the worst experience..." for public chargers. Tesla people all say "it's fine". Someone on this site said, "[public chargers] will be fixed. [They HAVE] to be." Let's say that it will be. OK, when? No one is in charge of meeting a target availability, and no one takes responsibility for them being down. And even if one network did fix these problems, no one network could possibly cover all of big countries like the US. There's no way this will be fixed in a year; maybe 2 or 3 years, maybe. But what is to say it wouldn't take 10 years? Or More?

Conclusion: Splashy upcoming new models will hurt Tesla's order numbers (and therefore your resale value), but only slightly for a while; then, as the new ones inevitably disappoint, numbers and prices will come back up, and they won't come down significantly until public charging vastly improves...and the new model cars prove themselves. You heard it here first. And I bet the price of my soon-to-arrive MY on that predication. (On the other hand, I never saw Elon's recent antics coming, which have turned off plenty of people, so, caveat emptor.)
Am I crazy to pass up a $7500 discount on a model 3 performance right now? I have one ready to be picked up in California by ear end. It’s technically in a hold status now, i’m not sure what that means

My partner called to change out the exterior color to MSM but was denied. They said no more Model Ys in CA. I checked Tesla's Existing Inventory, and I noted several in the Bay Area. Sometimes, I am get so frustrated with Tesla's pre-sale/delivery support.
I am getting ready to take a 1am bus ride from L.A. to pick up my MYLR in Vallejo. I don’t mind sounding $60 to save thousands and just drive it back lol

Reactions: tangers
Yes! I tried to get the M3P but was pushed to January so I pick up a MYLR tomorrow
Here’s The latest on my situation… not sure if that means I gave it up or if it’s still available to me?

Sorry to hear about your situation, but the model Y is a great car 👍🏻

Attachments

• 596C3C3C-64C8-45A5-B300-7015257DCC18.png
    596C3C3C-64C8-45A5-B300-7015257DCC18.png
    343.5 KB · Views: 79
Hey, I hope this turns out for you. I asked to take the offer to go off hold on the 22nd, same as you. They seemed to fart around for a couple days, finally got a VIN on the 26th, then delivery date for 28th, then on 27th they postponed that delivery until tomorrow... so fingers and toes crossed.
Nice! I'm sure you'll have no problem picking up the car. BTW what's your configuration and delivery center location?
Still no VIN for me as of tonight so most likely I'm out of luck, it's crazy that the Tesla website still shows Dec 2022 delivery even if you order new. Like I said worst case I lose the $250 deposit and keep driving my M3SR+ which I'm perfectly happy with.

Here’s The latest on my situation… not sure if that means I gave it up or if it’s still available to me?

Sorry to hear about your situation, but the model Y is a great car 👍🏻
It means Tesla is not actively producing a vehicle for you until the hold expires or you remove it. In your situation it may be too late to have a car produced so the only option is to remove the hold immediately and hope they can pair you with a vehicle in the next 3 days.

Am I crazy to pass up a $7500 discount on a model 3 performance right now? I have one ready to be picked up in California by ear end. It’s technically in a hold status now, i’m not sure what that means
Nope. If you need the car now, then certainly a great opportunity. If you don’t and can wait a few months, prices will continue to be soft and you’ll likely be getting a significantly more capable hardware set.

It means Tesla is not actively producing a vehicle for you until the hold expires or you remove it. In your situation it may be too late to have a car produced so the only option is to remove the hold immediately and hope they can pair you with a vehicle in the next 3 days.
They were never producing a car for me though the car that I was matched with was a demo car ready to be picked up. I got cold feet

Last edited:
Nope. If you need the car now, then certainly a great opportunity. If you don’t and can wait a few months, prices will continue to be soft and you’ll likely be getting a significantly more capable hardware set.
Oh so side note, I don’t qualify for the $7500 off next year, unfortunately. Was your comment including that? And I don’t need per say as I own a p85d, however the warranty expired last week which makes me nervous… it’s more of a gamble, do I pay up for a new car now and have a new warranty or roll the dice on the old and try to save some money.

Anyone on the fence with a Perf Y/3? If so I would seriously suggest it as the Perf may not qualify for IRS $7,500. This is one of those rare moments to get a good deal from TSLA.
So I don’t qualify for the 7500 because of income.

My situation is somewhat unique. I love my current p85d but the warranty expired last week. It’s been a pretty darn reliable car since I bot used 4 years ago and the battery seems strong.

I put a deposit on a brand new 2023 demo performance model 3 that I could have picked up yesterday (total off msrp was 10k, price was $55,450), but I backed out because my longer term goal is to save money to buy a house. I make enough money now that I won’t qualify for the $7500 off next year. I just felt that given my situation, I shouldn’t be buying a new car and saddling myself with $1000 car payments for 5 years. On the other hand!…, if the p85d starts to break down, it won’t take much before buying the new car makes better sense financially! Like if the battery goes for example, or the drivetrain and a couple other things.

At this point I think I still have time to take it off “final hold” and buy the new car, and sell the old. The other elephant in the room I think here is that, The performance will likely not qualify for the $7500 rebate,
and therefore all else equal if I take delivery of the car this month, I will likely have a decent cushion against depreciation as prices will pop 20% for performance models on January 1.

Thoughts? Thank you

Last edited: