Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone ran into my new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Allow me to rant. I have had Elektra for less than a week. On my way home from getting PPF and tint done today, I was sideswiped on an entrance ramp to an interstate. It was a 2 lane left turn on to the ramp. He swerved into my lane and hit me. He admitted to me and the deputy who came out (I insisted and my son who was a dispatcher on duty today got the officer out right away) that the accident was all his fault. He was cited by the officer. His insurance (Progressive) has already called me and accepted responsibility, set me up with a rental and notified a Tesla network body shop I will be there on Monday. I hope I can get this all fixed by them with no cost to me. Oh, and I had unplugged my sentry SSD prior to the accident because I was getting a 'Autopilot cameras not available' message after leaving the shop. /rant

Should I go through with this or allow my insurance (USAA) to handle all the issues? It was clearly his fault so shouldn't affect anything with my insurance cost. I hope.

Anyone know why my right camera is not working? This sucks.

“People suck” because you were involved in a collision where an insured driver stopped at the scene, admitted fault to you and law enforcement, their insurance company promptly did the same and is coordinating the repair of your car (err, sorry, “Elektra”....) ?

Yep, some truly sucky people in this world. Can’t believe you’re having to endure this.

Forgot to add the picture. And I am not hurt. But PISSED!

Attachments

• 929F6C6F-9161-4088-BB4B-8F2FE9B255E8.jpeg
    929F6C6F-9161-4088-BB4B-8F2FE9B255E8.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
“People suck” because you were involved in a collision where an insured driver stopped at the scene, admitted fault to you and law enforcement, their insurance company promptly did the same and is coordinating the repair of your car (err, sorry, “Elektra”....) ?

Yep, some truly sucky people in this world. Can’t believe you’re having to endure this.

Ok so maybe the title was bad.

In my case, when I got rear-ended on the freeway, the a-h bolted after we agreed to move our cars to the shoulder. (I still owned a Fusion PHEV, so no video). Now, that that person SUCKED!!!!!! In your case, at least they stood up to doing the right thing.

Keep your insurance company out of it unless you cannot get satisfaction with the other driver's.

I'm glad you were not hurt; metal can be more easily fixed!

:cool:

I’m not understanding why OP’s insurance should be out of the loop. I was rear ended while stopped in traffic on the highway, & my insurance company handled everything. Full payout for my totaled vehicle, and legal action against the other party to recover the part of the payout his insurance didn’t cover. The biggest inconvenience was having to shop for a new car.

I’m not understanding why OP’s insurance should be out of the loop. I was rear ended while stopped in traffic on the highway, & my insurance company handled everything. Full payout for my totaled vehicle, and legal action against the other party to recover the part of the payout his insurance didn’t cover. The biggest inconvenience was having to shop for a new car.

if you try for DV, you have to go to the other company anyway. If they are “friendly” it’s just easier to go direct.

Agree this accident is very minor. Might be just PPF, but either way those components are all bolt on. Very different from the back.

Start with the people that did the PPF.

• Informative
Reactions: Puddles and IdaX

This.

Allow me to rant. I have had Elektra for less than a week. On my way home from getting PPF and tint done today, I was sideswiped on an entrance ramp to an interstate. It was a 2 lane left turn on to the ramp. He swerved into my lane and hit me. He admitted to me and the deputy who came out (I insisted and my son who was a dispatcher on duty today got the officer out right away) that the accident was all his fault. He was cited by the officer. His insurance (Progressive) has already called me and accepted responsibility, set me up with a rental and notified a Tesla network body shop I will be there on Monday. I hope I can get this all fixed by them with no cost to me. Oh, and I had unplugged my sentry SSD prior to the accident because I was getting a 'Autopilot cameras not available' message after leaving the shop. /rant

Should I go through with this or allow my insurance (USAA) to handle all the issues? It was clearly his fault so shouldn't affect anything with my insurance cost. I hope.

Anyone know why my right camera is not working? This sucks.

That really does suck, and people often suck. Even though you had a perfect storm of events in your favor post-accident; son is a dispatcher, cops came out despite no injuries, other driver admitted fault...it STILL sucks that people make boneheaded mistakes costing you some angst, lost time with your car....and time is money. And you JUST got your PPF and TINT done! I don't even know if your PPF is covered, and that takes time and money too. This assumes you don't need the panel fixed/replaced. More time.

I know the feels. Very sorry this happened to you. I've had incidents like this happen to me as well and even when your ducks are in a row with insurance, it still sucks that someone else's mistake can cost you time, money, and aggravation.

That said, there are honest mistakes and I find this much easier to live with than being harmed by someone else's poor judgement or reckless behavior. At least the guy was honest and admitted fault. One Audi driver who cut me off (causing me to sideswipe his car with my motorcycle) tried to escape blame too, but I reminded him how American traffic laws work and he relented. That sucked, and when you're on a motorcycle the stakes are even higher.

A woman rear-ended me slowly while I was on my motorcycle! I looked back and the loopy moron was on her phone. Apparently she had stopped covering the brake and the SUV was smushing in to my rear tire, causing my bike to move violently from side to side. Being a short rider, I hurt my foot trying to keep the bike up, and wrenched a small muscle in my back which still occasionally bothers me today. I gave her a stern talking-to and reminded her about the danger of mobile devices in cars (even at stoplights). She looked horrified, but I didn't even pursue a police report or legal remedy since I was late for an important meeting. That sucked.

Another driver almost killed me (causing me to swerve to miss her and then swerve again to miss the center median). When I looked back she was fixing her hair, totally oblivious to the situation. She sucked too.

People do suck sometimes.

Last edited:

So, if someone smashes into your car but admits fault and their insurance company plays nice....you're happy as a clam? COME ON MAN. Have some empathy. This is a basic human grievance. When someone else's actions cause us harm or suffering (even if it seems petty to you), it's still something we generally dislike. People get annoyed with much less, like an F150 ICEing a Supercharger Bay. Nobody got hurt, right? Why be upset? No matter what upsets you, someone will be there to tell you that you shouldn't be upset. Easier said than done. Easy not to empathize when it's not your car getting sideswiped.

The point here is that someone else's mistake is costing someone time, aggravation, and time is money. Time away from your expensive Tesla is annoying, and again, it wasn't even the OP's fault. Just because things worked out post-incident doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to vent or enjoy a smidgen of human empathy. It sucks when people trivialize your pain, don't you think? You could probably think of ten things that upset you that might not upset anyone else.

Anyone disagreeing with this post was bothered by something FAR more petty than getting sideswiped. :D

Food for thought.

Last edited:
So, if someone smashes into your car but admits fault and their insurance company plays nice....you're happy as a clam?
Mostly yeah. Accidents happen. If someone does everything right, accepts fault, and works to make their mistake right then yeah, I’m generally happy.

Claiming “people suck”, calling in favors to pull law enforcement off of actual important work, and hyperbolically bemoaning great personal loss to my anthropomorphized possession because someone scuffed “her” paint protection film is not my general approach to life.