Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone unplugged my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think you've thought this through. My 2013 S85 gets right about 257 miles on 100% SOC. Supercharging is most time effective up to about the 80% point. That's a bit over 200 miles. And there are 60's and 75's out there that will get less.

There are lots of highways coming off the supercharger-laden interstates and main highways. All it takes is a road trip where you need to leave the interstate and drive smaller highways for some distance to need to spend some L2 time in many areas. There are several routes to destinations here in the Mid Atlantic that way, despite the fact that the Supercharger infrastructure has built up nicely here.

Or it could be an L2 at destination you are using. Or you may be dealing with elevation, weather, or temp. Cold down here can cut range by 30-40% easily. It's not too hard to need some charge when your effective range is 140 miles.

L2's aren't "proper" for a car despite being an EV? Interesting perspective. And for many of the scenarios I've mentioned above, that may be the best resource an EV owner has.

As for "should", nobody (at least not me) is saying Leaf owners "should" not drive anywhere they want. Just don't expect that you automatically are entitled priority to a shared charger. I don't with my EV.

Again with the "unlikely scenario". I suspect you don't travel as widely as some of us do.

And despite your highly emphasized point, there are plenty of non-corner-case scenarios where there is no supercharger to stop at earlier to fulfill that need. "Righteousness" has nothing to do with it, other than some folks apparently making this an emotional discussion rather than a logical one.

Perhaps my perspective is skewed coming from the "Land of Tesla". One would be hard pressed to drive more than 100 miles around here and not have the option of a SC within that radius. I have no experience with your neck of the woods and you make good arguments above so I concede.

Cheers.

Perhaps my perspective is skewed coming from the "Land of Tesla". One would be hard pressed to drive more than 100 miles around here and not have the option of a SC within that radius. I have no experience with your neck of the woods and you make good arguments above so I concede.

Cheers.
Cool. Hopefully we'll all be awash in more fast charging options than we can handle soon. ;)

Thanks for the reasoned discussion.

Reactions: Canuck
I don't have any comments either way about this issue, but personally, I would be super happy that the person did not key my car or damage my car in any way. This is relatively very tame. I have had a person key my entire car (my old Honda Civic 2006 coupe) in a parking lot. Literally doors, trunk, hood ..everything.. super deep. The person who did it was under the impression I blocked their car in the lot.

Reactions: Galve2000
Not sure if anyone Identified the person's car, but if it was a BEV or Plug-In Hybrid it may be that he wanted a charge but because the spot was taken by an "Overnight Tesla" he was unable to charge. It looks like he may have driven to the charging spot, then drove around the corner where his frustration caused him to stop, get out, walk back in the rain, and unplug the OP's Tesla.

Childish, yes, but understandable.

I in no way condone this action, but I could understand how this could happen.

Not sure if anyone Identified the person's car, but if it was a BEV or Plug-In Hybrid it may be that he wanted a charge but because the spot was taken by an "Overnight Tesla" he was unable to charge. It looks like he may have driven to the charging spot, then drove around the corner where his frustration caused him to stop, get out, walk back in the rain, and unplug the OP's Tesla.

Childish, yes, but understandable.

I in no way condone this action, but I could understand how this could happen.
This has already been discussed to death. There are two chargers on site. Both chargers were operational. I was using one of them. There was no other car there for at least 6-7 hours until I came along. Overnight charging implies that I was sleeping or something. I posted this video an hour after the incident as can be seen by the timestamps. I was at home waiting to reach a threshold so that I could move my car back into the complex garage and have enough energy for that particular day.

Last edited:
Since the OP knows the guy is Chinese, I assume this is an ongoing situation that is in the process of escalating.
What happened before this?
Dude, I can see he's Chinese (probably mainland) just from his haircut.
I don't think you can assert the OP knows the guy just because he's able to guess his race from a video showing him clearly.

• Disagree
Note that many cities have laws against overnight parking in public lots.
This is to keep people from storing vehicles on the public's land for free.
I used to live on a street in Sydney which solved this by having no parking from 2pm - 4pm on Wednesdays. The parking inspectors would show up and book every parked car.
This was to stop people leaving boat trailers permanently parked. Worked pretty well.

• Informative
Reactions: erik_k
And again this why pretty much all public chargers should cost to charge there. Businesses should even consider charging their employees for using their chargers. It uses solid economic theory to open up chargers to those who actually need them. And takes away the incentive to needlessly tie up a charger.
Problem with paid charging is they often have problems taking payment (ie. can't phone home, can't read RFID etc etc).
Otherwise I agree, paid charging is better. I wish supercharging was paid-only. It's still very cheap, and would stop people clogging the superchargers to save a few bucks at home.

What does that have to do with what I posted? If you're a Fiat 500e driver, public L2 and your home is all you have to charge on.

You wrote about somebody arriving at an L2 needing an hour's charge, so you should understand why L2 isn't dependable. People are going to be plugged in for a long time. If it's occupied you're going to have a _long_ wait.

But even more than that, since it's going to take a long time to charge, it's not reasonable to expect people to wait around: it's destination charging.

Destination charging is where you plug in while you do something. Here it's a 2 hour lot, which is a parking area for where you need up to 2 hours to do something. So, a charger could be occupied for up to 2 hours at a time. Nobody should be frustrated after half an hour of waiting for a charge there, no matter why they needed the charge.

If they were there earlier and came back 2 hours later to find the same Tesla parked, they'd have reason to pissed off, but the thing to do is report the violation to the authorities (who can decide the de facto policy) and if they wish they could also post the info in public forums.

If someone buys a BEV without fast-charging, they need to stay within range provided by guaranteed charging.

I wonder if OP had locked the J1772 plug to his car if he would have been somehow otherwise vandalized. I'd like to think not b/c this appears to be a bit of mild hazing from a disgruntled fellow BEV owner.

I would urge the OP to leave his contact info on the dash to properly engage Mr. Orange to see if you could stop this from escalating into an all out war of attrition.

I would also ask the OP to look at other "pay to play" L2 EVSEs that are conveniently located to his condo. I get it EVgo and ChargePoint charge exorbitant rates when they do have a fee, and we all love to charge for free, but IMO zeroing in on the nearest, most convenient, free-est charging method without regards to the needs of your fellow neighbors smacks of entitlement and should be mitigated by using less desirable charging methods on occasion, along with the highly contested charger that is the subject of this thread.

Just to hammer my opinion home: rather than being at the mercy of proactive hazers like Mr. Orange, the OP could move to a home where at home charging is an option.

I wonder if OP had locked the J1772 plug to his car if he would have been somehow otherwise vandalized. I'd like to think not b/c this appears to be a bit
Personally I will never use a lock because there have been instances where when the lock is used people have had air let out of their tires or their car keyed.

I would rather be mildly inconvienced than deal with either of those.

...zeroing in on the nearest, most convenient, free-est charging method without regards to the needs of your fellow neighbors smacks of entitlement and should be mitigated by using less desirable charging methods on occasion, along with the highly contested charger that is the subject of this thread

Most convenient? He waited til 3 am when it had been free for 7 hours.

Highly contested? There was nobody else around, and an adjacent working charger that nobody used.

On occasion? He's charged there twice.

Last edited:
This has already been discussed to death. There are two chargers on site. Both chargers were operational. I was using one of them. There was no other car there for at least 6-7 hours until I came along. Overnight charging implies that I was sleeping or something. I posted this video an hour after the incident as can be seen by the timestamps. I was at home waiting to reach a threshold so that I could move my car back into the complex garage and have enough energy for that particular day.

Tell us what really matters. :) Did you end up getting enough charge from the L2 or were your plans ruined the next day? was it just the principle of the thing (no inconvenience), a slight inconvenience, or worse?

People here have said the charger has a 2 hour time limit. If that's true, why don't you think it applies to you?
Why do you think he feel sit doesn't.

He said it was empty 67 hours before, he came. And earlier in this thread he said: " I posted this video an hour after the incident as can be seen by the timestamps. I was at home waiting to reach a threshold so that I could move my car back into the complex garage ..."

I've seen several folks attempting to indict him for being there all night, but yet to see evidence that was the case or plan...

Correct - the Tesla proprietary “nozzle” will lock so no one can remove the j1772 adapter itself but they can unplug and remove the j1772 charging cable itself from your adapter.

Not correct. My Tesla was unplugged from a Tesla destination charger while the car was locked a few weeks ago.

I reported to Tesla but so far no answer and no explanation.

There is an issue with either locking mechanism or wall connector. Sometimes it is completely locked and no way to unplug it.

I tried to reconstruct the scene and managed to unplug my car while I did not have the key fob with me and the car was locked.

This is the video: