Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon to be for sale: 9/16 S60 (Now 75)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Alll,

I'm still waiting on Tesla to send a quote. I was told it would be sent today but that didn't happen. My guess is that I'll get it Monday or Tuesday.

Just to be clear though, I already have an offer from Vroom for $60k. If Tesla lowballs then I'll set the price at $62k. If Tesla matches or is within $500, I'll likely just take that offer. We'll be picking up a 3 soon in Atlanta and the convenience of trading it in on that car and being able to just swap out cars would be a plus.

So to recap, no firm price until I get the Tesla quote and that will likely be Monday at the earliest. If they lowball then the private party price will be $62k.
If you are waiting for a quote from Tesla to match that price, I can guarantee unequivocally that you can quit waiting. The offer you get from them will be at least $10k less than that.

It really makes me wonder why everyone is switching over to the 3.
I obviously can't answer for everyone else but my reasoning is pretty simple. The S was my first electric vehicle and at the time of ordering I decided to play it safe and get the baby S which was the S60 (which I ultimately upgraded to a 75).

Since getting the S I've found that I don't drive as much as I used to (work from home now). I used to put 30-40k miles a year on a car. The odometer on the S currently reads 10,793 over 16 months. So at this point I'd rather have a car I can keep for 8-10 years. For me, a long range 3 fits that need better than my S for a couple of reasons:
1) Range over the long run. I should never have less than ~220 miles of range on a LR 3 over the next eight years.
2) Less crap to break and if something like the screen does need to be replaced, it'll be cheaper and easier.

Additionally, It works out financially at the moment. $61k will completely cover the cost of the 3 including taxes. I looks like I should be able to get that for my S. The tax credit will be a bonus.

3 delivery in Decatur?
When did you order and when is estimated delivery?
Ordered last week. I was told to expect delivery in about three weeks.

If you are waiting for a quote from Tesla to match that price, I can guarantee unequivocally that you can quit waiting. The offer you get from them will be at least $10k less than that.
Probably but I wanted to check just in case. If they don't have me a quote today, I'm just going to forget about that one.

Carvana got back to me this morning with an offer for $60.5k. So it seems a little over 60 is around market value at the moment.

Hi All,

It seems this journey is going to end with the car sold to Vroom.com. They called to see if I had received their quote over the weekend and I mentioned the carvana quote. They offered $61K as their final offer and I accepted. That's more than I thought I'd get out of my S.

Hi All,

It seems this journey is going to end with the car sold to Vroom.com. They called to see if I had received their quote over the weekend and I mentioned the carvana quote. They offered $61K as their final offer and I accepted. That's more than I thought I'd get out of my S.

How does that work with sales tax. Don’t you have to pay sales tax on the three now. Vs not paying any of you traded?

1) Sales tax (well, "use tax") is only 3.375%
2) I would have been hit with the sales tax anyway since I have to buy the 3 out of state.
3) The price I got for the S covers the sales tax on the 3.
Usually on trade ins the price of the car is reduced by the trade in value ABOVE THE LINE. If you buy a 60K car and trade in a 55K car, the sale price of the new car is 5k and you're taxed on the 5K not the full 60K. In your case if the trade in value of the S eclipsed the 3 you'd have no sales tax liability.

• Love
Reactions: number12
Usually on trade ins the price of the car is reduced by the trade in value ABOVE THE LINE. If you buy a 60K car and trade in a 55K car, the sale price of the new car is 5k and you're taxed on the 5K not the full 60K. In your case if the trade in value of the S eclipsed the 3 you'd have no sales tax liability.
Depends on what state you’re in. That’s true in Texas and some other states but not every state.

Such a law is a gift to the auto dealer cartel. They get the used cars for less than market value as they can offer less than a wholesaler and still get the deal because the buyer comes out ahead or equal after sales tax. It lessens sales tax revenue to the state and serves no public policy purpose. It just advantages the new car dealers over other dealers buying used cars.

Yes, I forgot to mention this is state dependent, more a PSA for people to check how theirs works as it can save thousands in cost. Texas vehicle sales tax is 6.25% trading in a $60K vehicle takes $3,750 off the bottom line. Less useful for midrange cars, but very helpful when getting into the high end luxury market.

Ah, I was under the impression that Alabama doesn't give a crap about trade-ins if the transaction takes place out of state.

For what it's worth, Tesla finally got back to me with a $46k offer.
Sheeeeeeeshhh! Not only was @BerTX right about Tesla being a minimum 10k below the others, but they went additional 5k lower just for good measure. Maybe that’s their way of saying we don’t want it, give it to Vroom or Carvana.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and IdaX
Sheeeeeeeshhh! Not only was @BerTX right about Tesla being a minimum 10k below the others, but they went additional 5k lower just for good measure. Maybe that’s their way of saying we don’t want it, give it to Vroom or Carvana.
I think you may be correct. They may just have their hands so full with the 3 that they're not putting much effort into CPO vehicles unless they can make a ton on them.

I obviously can't answer for everyone else but my reasoning is pretty simple. The S was my first electric vehicle and at the time of ordering I decided to play it safe and get the baby S which was the S60 (which I ultimately upgraded to a 75).

Since getting the S I've found that I don't drive as much as I used to (work from home now). I used to put 30-40k miles a year on a car. The odometer on the S currently reads 10,793 over 16 months. So at this point I'd rather have a car I can keep for 8-10 years. For me, a long range 3 fits that need better than my S for a couple of reasons:
1) Range over the long run. I should never have less than ~220 miles of range on a LR 3 over the next eight years.
2) Less crap to break and if something like the screen does need to be replaced, it'll be cheaper and easier.

Additionally, It works out financially at the moment. $61k will completely cover the cost of the 3 including taxes. I looks like I should be able to get that for my S. The tax credit will be a bonus.

And that's the biggest issue with the Model S. Well the door handles specifically. I wish they could make the handles either buttons like the Model X or manual handles like they are on the 3. Sure they're not as premium as they have it but if it'll save me the stress from having them break every month or so, then so be it.

Well the door handles specifically.
That's the big one. Next in line would be the bubble prone MCU screen. However, the model 3 is just less complex overall and should be easier to maintain out of warranty.

Additionally, my wife will be getting a standard range model 3 as soon as they're available. Once the cars are out of warranty, I can just buy a salvage car and pull parts as needed if I have to.

That's the big one. Next in line would be the bubble prone MCU screen. However, the model 3 is just less complex overall and should be easier to maintain out of warranty.

Additionally, my wife will be getting a standard range model 3 as soon as they're available. Once the cars are out of warranty, I can just buy a salvage car and pull parts as needed if I have to.

Yea that would make sense. I truly want a Model S but I just don't want the door handles to fail. So it's like a love/hate relationship. Really hope Tesla can give us options on door handles or actually find ways to permanently fix the door handle issue. I mean someone soldered on some glue where the wire would typically break and it's been successful.