Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once I activate the defogger, it is pretty quick. I have MS with regular heater, not the heat pump. It takes a minute or so to completely clean up the windshield but the effect starts in a few seconds. Mind you, if you cannot start it right away the fogging effect is progressively worse. So, the sooner you start it, the better it is.
Also, fogging usually happens in adverse driving conditions - heavy snow, ice, etc. - when driving requires your full, undivided attention.
I tried the FSD in a snowstorm last year. Because of the LiDAR it could see the road, even the marking, when I could not see more than 50ft. It was amazing! The problem was that it did not care about the snow coverage and wanted to maintain the speed limit from the beginning :) I would not trust it to drive but it was a very good aid when I was driving.

At night the color schema changes. The map background is black with major roads dark gray. The minor roads and streets are much darker gray - almost indistinguishable from the background. I have to bump up the brightness to 100% and look carefully to see them. Needless to say, having the screen at night at 100% is not very comfortable for driving.
Not a big deal on the highway but pretty much useless in the city.

Last edited:
Sudden heavy rain showers I can relate to and have had no issues with the wipers. Tapping the stalk is the quickest way to get them going, then setting the speed is just one more selection in the GUI.

I've also driven in fog and never felt the need to suddenly turn on a climate control setting. I do keep the system on auto, but even in my last car where I kept it off, I've never had to suddenly fumble around for it even when defogging was necessary. While driving, if the window started to get hazy, I'd turn them on well before it got to the point I couldn't see.

Now I don't live up north, so maybe these things happen suddenly and if that's the case, then wouldn't setting up the climate controls ahead of time be better? Even if there were dedicated defroster buttons, wouldn't they still take a while to actually defrost?
I wasn't strictly talking about climate controls.

Once I activate the defogger, it is pretty quick. I have MS with regular heater, not the heat pump. It takes a minute or so to completely clean up the windshield but the effect starts in a few seconds. Mind you, if you cannot start it right away the fogging effect is progressively worse. So, the sooner you start it, the better it is.
Also, fogging usually happens in adverse driving conditions - heavy snow, ice, etc. - when driving requires your full, undivided attention.
I tried the FSD in a snowstorm last year. Because of the LiDAR it could see the road, even the marking, when I could not see more than 50ft. It was amazing! The problem was that it did not care about the snow coverage and wanted to maintain the speed limit from the beginning :) I would not trust it to drive but it was a very good aid when I was driving.

At night the color schema changes. The map background is black with major roads dark gray. The minor roads and streets are much darker gray - almost indistinguishable from the background. I have to bump up the brightness to 100% and look carefully to see them. Needless to say, having the screen at night at 100% is not very comfortable for driving.
Not a big deal on the highway but pretty much useless in the city.

From your description of the fogging, for the first 5-10 seconds I'd imagine it's not possible to see through the screen. The heating element heats up quicker, but at the temps you're probably facing, I'm sure it'll take longer. I'm trying to picture myself in really cold weather driving in similar conditions. I would have the heat on with the defrosters running before driving through areas I know might quickly reduce my vision. Are there any potential issues (except lower range maybe) with approaching the situation this way?

Regarding the on-screen visualization, in heavy rain with limited viewing distance, I've seen it track the lines on the road which I thought was neat and useful.

Yes, the contrast isn't as good on the Navigation streets at night although it doesn't bother me. However, I could see others having trouble with the scheme. Hopefully, they are giving feedback.

Neither the defogger nor the defroster are meant to run continuously. In addition to energy concerns (running heater and AC at the same time) they will either cool or heat the cabin too much. So, when you see signs of fog you turn on the defogger, run it for a while to clean up and then either turn off or go back to the comfortable HVAC setting.
(Wondering why that could not be automated?)

I think the BSM cameras are probably the worst part. At night its functionally just an orange blinking box on your screen. Plus its a bit unintuitive for using on left hand signals (looking right to turn left). I shut that feature off.

Otherwise Im in camp good update. They fixed my number one gripe which was that to switch audio sources you needed to take up all that screen real estate. Now you can hot key them.

Ok, they messed up the entertainment side as well. There is no way to FF/RW in a song. The progress bar is gone. Skip forward/back buttons work as expected. In pretty much every other interface holding them usually does FF/RW. Here, holding them moves between favorites.
Also, noticed something weird in the IC album cover. Sometimes it changes when the song changes; sometimes it does not. Haven’t found a pattern yet.
Tried several logical chants like “Skip forward 10 seconds” to no avail.

Neither the defogger nor the defroster are meant to run continuously. In addition to energy concerns (running heater and AC at the same time) they will either cool or heat the cabin too much. So, when you see signs of fog you turn on the defogger, run it for a while to clean up and then either turn off or go back to the comfortable HVAC setting.
(Wondering why that could not be automated?)
Obviously, I'm overthinking this. Simply hitting left or right on the temp icon brings up the defroster icons close to your fingertips. I don't see the huge deal especially if it's turned on just before the fog gets worse. If the fog is so bad that the windscreen is hazed out before turning on the defogger, I don't think even a dedicated button would improve the situation fast enough to matter. It's not like the wipers were they instantly clear the screen.

Reactions: Tezlowski
Obviously, I'm overthinking this. Simply hitting left or right on the temp icon brings up the defroster icons close to your fingertips. I don't see the huge deal especially if it's turned on just before the fog gets worse. If the fog is so bad that the windscreen is hazed out before turning on the defogger, I don't think even a dedicated button would improve the situation fast enough to matter. It's not like the wipers were they instantly clear the screen.
Question - how is the new system better than the old where it was readily available?

Ok, they messed up the entertainment side as well. There is no way to FF/RW in a song. The progress bar is gone. Skip forward/back buttons work as expected. In pretty much every other interface holding them usually does FF/RW. Here, holding them moves between favorites.
Also, noticed something weird in the IC album cover. Sometimes it changes when the song changes; sometimes it does not. Haven’t found a pattern yet.
Tried several logical chants like “Skip forward 10 seconds” to no avail.

The progress bar is still there. The target area for dragging the progress bar extends between it and the buttons above - plenty of area to drag or tap.

Last edited:
The progress bar is still there. You target area for dragging the progress bar extends between it and the buttons above - plenty of area to drag or tap.

Thanks, I don't know if I would have noticed that (or if I'd be able to actually hit it when driving.) It'd be nice if they made it a bit bigger and/or separated it from the border to make it more visible.

Reactions: rjpjnk
It worked just fine with the dedicated button - not only for control but also for indication. It is not impossible in V11; it is more complicated and I do not see the benefit of making it complicated - unless, for some reason, they want to discourage me from using it.
I would prefer a visualization of controls, not hidden under any menu. Make it optional at least. Instead of the car visualization have a view of climate controls and other typical dashboard items.

Call it a skin "Always-On Dashboard"

Reactions: Sporty and smogne41
It's readily available still. The interface is now less cluttered, and things are logically grouped together.
It was more “readily available” in V10.

The fact that something critical is “still available” or “there is a voice command” does not mean that it is an improvement from a driver-centric, functionality point of view. If the objective is to have minimum number of buttons/icons on the main screen - may be they achieved something but, still, there are a number entertainment icons left. Why did they de-grouped them and grouped the functionality icons? That could be explained by an entertainment, rather than driver focus. Did we buy cars or game consoles?!

The progress bar is still there. The target area for dragging the progress bar extends between it and the buttons above - plenty of area to drag or tap.

Whoa! Is it hard to do that while driving without hitting adjacent buttons?

It suggests that @PianoAl's discovery is not an implementation bug:

For a while I had trouble scrubbing (adjusting the position) of audio played from a USB drive. Today I discovered that if you tap and slide ON the line, it doesn't work. You must tap ABOVE the line, as demonstrated here:

Is this a new GUI interaction model, pressing on an invisible slider next to a thin line? Why not put a light-colored bar in the touch-sensitive area?

Reactions: rjpjnk
Whoa! Is it hard to do that while driving without hitting adjacent buttons?

It suggests that @PianoAl's discovery is not an implementation bug:
Ive found it pretty easy to tap a position on the slider while moving. Sliding is okay on smooth roads but a bit trickier on the choppy highways in Michigan.

Is this a new GUI interaction model, pressing on an invisible slider next to a thin line? Why not put a light-colored bar in the touch-sensitive area?

Sliding above an area (or in an adjacent blank space) isn’t exactly new. The previous trip/TPMS cards were activated by swiping left or right above the three dots. I’ve read a few complaints from people who inadvertently selected dash cam or voice command because they didn’t realize that the target to swipe the cards was above the dots, not the dots themselves.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer