Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And if can ask another question, do you see a benefit from devoting about a third of the screen to the virtual driving environment?
I personally love the visualization! For me, it is one of the best features of the car. I like that it shows me how the car perceives its environment. Each object on that screen is there because the car recognizes it, has estimated it’s location, and likely has assigned a kinematic track to it. It is completely different than, say, a 3D camera which would only show what my eyes can already see. This is what the *car* sees! I guess it appeals to my techie side.

Reactions: WhiteWi and Z_Lynx
We do listen:

310 copy.jpg

I ask this in all sincerity. What do people see as the benefits of the new UI? After a month and a half of driving with it I honestly don’t see any improvements. And if can ask another question, do you see a benefit from devoting about a third of the screen to the virtual driving environment? I have always trusted my eyes to provide situational awareness.
I like the fact that they're moving towards a modular approach to the UI giving people the ability to customize it to their liking. And the likes / dislikes have been discussed many times over in the thread.

I do agree about the visualization space and think it should be adjustable.

People who text while driving don’t feel unsafe either. It’s the people they kill that feel it.

the auto that gets scared of its own reflection in highway signs? thanks but no thanks.
If it takes you as long to use simple controls as it does to send a text, you may want to practice a bit more and stop driving in the meantime so you don’t kill somebody. You’ve had a month and a half to practice, maybe go spend a few more months learning. Then give driving another go.

I like the fact that they're moving towards a modular approach to the UI giving people the ability to customize it to their liking. And the likes / dislikes have been discussed many times over in the thread.

I do agree about the visualization space and think it should be adjustable.
Completely agree, it's all moving in the right direction, clearly with more customization on the way. They added back, per request, the ability to remove audio sources again, which makes sense. Probably just takes it a bit longer to add the seat heaters back since they need to change the logo to 3 little hearts instead of the bacon for all the love this forum is giving them.

I had gotten into the habit of leaving the "car" screen open most time so profile and WiFi/LTE were always there along with the most important adjustments I might need (excellent page layout btw), so now I see the profile name in two places when I get in the car ;)

Guess I might revert back to using nav as default now.

It is so nice to be able to hide unused audio sources again. Having the profile name on home screen is convenient too. Keep 'em coming!
Yes, it is nice to bring back functionality that we used to have in V10. Spend efforts to brake something that works, then spend efforts to fix what you broke. I can see the swing between square and round icons. While there are things that actually need fixing…

This actually made me lol.

Whilst I hated the switch from V10 to V11, like a lot of people, it really surprised me how many people seemed to drive with their tyre pressures displayed. Like, I'm annoyed that the trip card going but having near instant access to your tyre pressures wasn't needed, was it?
People like to customize their interface. They do not like when something is taken away without any perceived benefit for them, regardless how insignificant it seems to the wider public. That is why massive changes to UI are not a good idea, in general.

People like to customize their interface. They do not like when something is taken away without any perceived benefit for them, regardless how insignificant it seems to the wider public. That is why massive changes to UI are not a good idea, in general.
Yes I can appreciate that, just because I don't doesn't mean that no-one does. I used to drive with the energy trip card up all the time, I was just surprised at HOW MANY people seemingly had the tire pressure card up. They can drive how they want, I was just amazed at the percentage that did it, is all.

Reactions: Boza and rjpjnk
Yes I can appreciate that, just because I don't doesn't mean that no-one does. I used to drive with the energy trip card up all the time, I was just surprised at HOW MANY people seemingly had the tire pressure card up. They can drive how they want, I was just amazed at the percentage that did it, is all.
I never drove with it up all the time, but it was nice to have available to easily check from time to time. The current scheme does not really feel safe while driving (and the info is not available when not driving, mostly).

Accepted the software update to 2022.4.5 and took a quick look at the V11 UI.

The best new feature is that you can configure what is in the bottom row.

Unfortunately, not everything that you may want to use while driving is available to be put there. Also, the space for the recently used section could better be used for user configurable things.

What I would like to see options to put there would include (besides the already useful ones that are there like energy screen, camera, dashcam, radio, USB music, etc.):
  • Headlights on/off/auto. (Also, it should be a user configurable option for auto headlights to turn on when wipers are on. But that can be elsewhere.)
  • Windshield wipers.
  • Fan speed with < > for one touch down/up.
  • Window defogger.
  • Heated seat control (separate for driver and passenger).
It is strange that some stuff that was there in V10 (like the heated seat controls and windshield wipers) is not even an option to put there in V11.