Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound dampening project & comparison of P85+ vs P85D Loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. For the doors I didn't want to cover up anything what would be a hassle to get at if something needed to get worked on inside the doors. I just tried to be strategic with where I put sound dampening. I also tried and isolate areas where there was legit noise. I think a little can go a long way.

I still get noise from the headliner area by the sun visors, the dash top, and rear hatch lid. The rear hatch lid and top of the dash are probably the worst on the older cars. All spots I haven't covered in sound dampening in.

On my late 13 production P85+ lightly press on the top of the dash you get all kinds of squeaks and rattles, rear hatch lid tons of squeaks and rattles while driving, tap the plastic and you get an echoing plasticky rattle, the headliner gets occasional squeaks and rattles out of nowhere too.

I am currently driving a 100D loaner with glass roof. 1000% quieter headliner, top of the dash, and rear hatch lid.
Just to compare I pressed down on the top of the dash no sound at all, minimal if any squeaks or rattles from the rear hatch, tapped around the plastic of the rear hatch you get less of a flimsy plastic sound, and no noise from the headliner what so ever.

That’s impressive, the difference you describe. I’m thinking that my March 2017 production model must have gotten the same production processes that you your 100D loaner got. I’m really impressed with the complete absence of squeaks and rattles in my car, and believe me, I listen for them everyday. It’s probably why the road and wind noise figure quite prominently.

Update: So I got ending up getting a Blackvue DR750S-2CH off the model3 group buy and installed the front camera and ran the wiring for the rear ( didn't have the extra power and ground in the mic section so went the obd2 route :( ). Pretty awesome dash cam after just testing the front.

Will finally have time to dismantle the rear lift gate and add more sound dampening there. Will also swap rear camera's to the "high res" one I got off amazon while i'm at it I'll also finish installing the DR750S rear camera.

Also did small DIY 3M carbon wrap on the door handles and pillars. Came out awesome. Also got a set of matte carbon mirror caps from EvAnnex what I ceramic coated ( waiting for them to cure before I install).

Now to take the 2017 factory rockers I got to a paint shop to get color matched.

cdb87fc1-b7bc-42fc-9d91-513c8aa03480

KUHWtlP.jpg
5r8vMn6.jpg
uNIWYU9.jpg

Reactions: avesraggiana