Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soundproofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you guys tried to have someone else drive on a known noisier stretch of road while you use your phone to record around various parts of the car (i.e. hatch, door edges, windows, front and back seats, etc.)? You can do the same thinknwithba length of hose, but the recording might be more useful.

I did hear that later cars had revised door seals.

You should get the new Michelin tires with the sound proofing foam

But comparing to the ride of an S-Class, getting 21's was a big mistake lol. 19's are the way to go. Much much better ride. And get them painted black or grey if you want the good looks.

The S-Class still has a better ride but it doesn't beat the electric drivetrain. And ya the cruise control on the S sucks. It's so simple in my Volt, but in the S.... it accelerates faster, slows down more than I wanted it to....just all over the place

All this talk about the lack of an engine sound made me think of this idea:

Get in an ICE and run the engine and throttle the RPM to a nominal cruise value (say 2000 rpm). Record that sound on your smartphone.

Get in the MS and bluetooth pair your phone and play that sound file on your car sound system adjusting the volume to the approximate level you experience in your ICE (I know - this is subjective). Then take it for a drive and compare how and if any other road noise really impacts your subjective impression of the sounds in the cabin in general. I suspect that without the normal ICE sounds in the MS, all the other sounds like wind, tire, etc become more enhanced in the absence of engine noise. Sure, the sound deadening is weaker and the glass panes may be thinner but is it really that much noisier in the cabin?

In general, I listen to the nice sounds of Slacker and compared to the ICE noise plus my "hissy" FM radio, the MS/EV experience is noticeably improved with regards to noise.

100% right, Mr X. Very silly on my part. But as I said before, love at first site...

Today I got my set from tire rack. 19X8.5 RIAL LUGANOs with 245/45ZR-19 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+.
Night and day. Finally I can use my car without complaining.
Preliminary measurements show 10 to 15 dB reduction. That is a lot, more than I expected.
More important, the grinding feeling in the steering is gone. Smooth as a baby's cheek.
Tomorrow I will drive it to Miami and measure the noise in the same spot I am measured for the past month, for a better comparison.
I will also check speedometer against GPS, but I do not expect major differences, as the overall diameter change is a hair over 2%.
Wife also drove it and tells me the improvement is phenomenal.

On February 6 Tesla in Dania Beach will replace all rubber seals with the new design.
Including sunroof.

I still miss the finish, amenities, and quality of the S-class.
But it is easier to redo the interior in my MS than to change the drive-train in the MB. And the MS still looks much better on the outside IMO.

So as we definitelly will keep this car, next steps are:

- Installing a full sound proofing kit from sound deadener showdown
- Replace the silly High Fidelity sound system with something more in line with this car price range. Perhaps LH.
- Fully replace the existing center console with custom unit
- Custom programmable interior light arrangement - the stock one sucks.
- Rebuild front seats with better adjustment/support/confort
- Reupholster interior with real leather
- Keep the car for 106 years to recoup investment.

Now wife wants a model 3. ARRRGGGH

So this is what I got.
- Speedometer = 75mph; with 21" GPS = 74mph; with 19" GPS = 73mph
Cabin noise with 21" rims and michelins SS2: Best average = 81.7db with max of 85.8db. Worse average = 83.6db with max of also 85.8db
Cabin noise with 19" rims & PS A/S 3 @ 40PSI: average =68.6, max of 77.8; @35PSI: average 67.7db, max of 77.1
Car is amazing to drive now.

100% right, Mr X. Very silly on my part. But as I said before, love at first site...

Today I got my set from tire rack. 19X8.5 RIAL LUGANOs with 245/45ZR-19 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+.
Night and day. Finally I can use my car without complaining.
Preliminary measurements show 10 to 15 dB reduction. That is a lot, more than I expected.
More important, the grinding feeling in the steering is gone. Smooth as a baby's cheek.
Tomorrow I will drive it to Miami and measure the noise in the same spot I am measured for the past month, for a better comparison.
I will also check speedometer against GPS, but I do not expect major differences, as the overall diameter change is a hair over 2%.
Wife also drove it and tells me the improvement is phenomenal.

On February 6 Tesla in Dania Beach will replace all rubber seals with the new design.
Including sunroof.

I still miss the finish, amenities, and quality of the S-class.
But it is easier to redo the interior in my MS than to change the drive-train in the MB. And the MS still looks much better on the outside IMO.

So as we definitelly will keep this car, next steps are:

- Installing a full sound proofing kit from sound deadener showdown
- Replace the silly High Fidelity sound system with something more in line with this car price range. Perhaps LH.
- Fully replace the existing center console with custom unit
- Custom programmable interior light arrangement - the stock one sucks.
- Rebuild front seats with better adjustment/support/confort
- Reupholster interior with real leather
- Keep the car for 106 years to recoup investment.

Now wife wants a model 3. ARRRGGGH

Do those tires have the foam insert for noise?

JetKit,

A few points:

1. Tires. Upgrade to the ContiSILENTS which appear to have been designed specifically for the Tesla Model S. As of some months ago they were available in all 21" wheel sizes for a Tesla; remarkable improvement in noise control:

ContiSilent™

Tesla specific Continental Silent 5P 21' tires - WOW!!!! | Tesla Motors

2. Yes, take it back as there are MANY sources of wind noise on a Tesla that may be at issue. We had our brand new '15 70D after a few months when I noticed the source of horrific wind noise: front passenger door exterior handle gasket was uninstalled and left sitting in the bottom of the door! Huge impact on wind noise as it reflected off of the Pano Roof throughout the cabin. Have them check this, and the rear hatch seal/alignment ASAP. Your car should be very, very quiet.

3. Ethical/Moral considerations. If you switch back to an S-Class, you return to "being part of the problem." A BIG part of the problem. Especially after the recent change in US administration, it is more incumbent than ever for EACH of us to take personal action to reduce our carbon/GHG dumping. (And, not to be too harsh, but really? You live in Florida. You really need to get on top of this subject ASAP as just a foot or two of sea level rise will do some serious damage to your entire state . . . .)

NASA: Climate Change and Global Warming

www.merchantsofdoubtmovie.com

Global Warming and Climate Change skepticism examined

DeSmogBlog

4. Drive it for a few years, then trade it in for a new and improved Model S. Regardless, it can be addressed and there are about 20 hardware improvements every week, according to Elon. They seem to get quieter over time:)

So this is what I got.
- Speedometer = 75mph; with 21" GPS = 74mph; with 19" GPS = 73mph
Cabin noise with 21" rims and michelins SS2: Best average = 81.7db with max of 85.8db. Worse average = 83.6db with max of also 85.8db
Cabin noise with 19" rims & PS A/S 3 @ 40PSI: average =68.6, max of 77.8; @35PSI: average 67.7db, max of 77.1
Car is amazing to drive now.
Wow! Spectacular numbers.
Good for everyone to see, and learn from, and glad you're happier with the Tesla.
Still in love w mine- could have almost anything to drive but don't want anything else....

Reactions: bradhs
Ethical/Moral considerations. If you switch back to an S-Class, you return to "being part of the problem."

I believe I am still part of the problem, with EVs or without them.
Maybe on a better direction, but not by far out of the problem.
I still have a house that is too big and inefficient, we still consume too much unnecessary stuff, we still do not actively participate to make things better.
Unfortunately I also do not fully understand the full life cycle impact of owning and operating my cars.
From the moment it was designed to the end of it's operational life, I am not 100% sure my Tesla is significantly better on its ecological footprint than anything else. I can say it is, and I can pretend it is, but I do not know. I see blogs out there explaining each side, but so far I only see opinions of lovers vs haters.

Anyway, my pet peeve at hand with my Tesla MS being unacceptably noise is on its sure way to redemption, and I am happy with it.
So happy that we are back debating on a solar roof and power walls. Maybe trading in the Leaf & B-Class on a Bolt, as the M3 is not feasible for us until 2020.

I believe I am still part of the problem, with EVs or without them.
Maybe on a better direction, but not by far out of the problem.
I still have a house that is too big and inefficient, we still consume too much unnecessary stuff, we still do not actively participate to make things better.
Unfortunately I also do not fully understand the full life cycle impact of owning and operating my cars.
From the moment it was designed to the end of it's operational life, I am not 100% sure my Tesla is significantly better on its ecological footprint than anything else. I can say it is, and I can pretend it is, but I do not know. I see blogs out there explaining each side, but so far I only see opinions of lovers vs haters.

Anyway, my pet peeve at hand with my Tesla MS being unacceptably noise is on its sure way to redemption, and I am happy with it.
So happy that we are back debating on a solar roof and power walls. Maybe trading in the Leaf & B-Class on a Bolt, as the M3 is not feasible for us until 2020.

Interesting observations Jetkit, but please note that nearly every, or every, evaluation that posits that BEV's are somehow worse than ICE vehicles is typically funded by a source that is invested in the status quo: fossil fuel interests, etc. Those "evaluations" are replete with massive errors and assumptions to help slow the transition toward a carbon-free future.

I am sure there are threads along those lines and with extensive facts to be found here, but I don't have them at the tip of my fingers.

As for the other things, please note that once GF1 is up and running, you should be able to capture a huge portion of your solar energy during the day, store it in a Tesla Powerwall for night use, and tell FPL to pound sand. I frequently fly over Florida in the course of my work and remain constantly amazed at the dearth of solar in one of our most sunny states--a true testament to the power of incumbents to slow the transition to a carbon-free future. Thus, if you have not signed up for the Tesla Powerwall 2 waiting list yet, I would encourage you to do so now, and also the Tesla Roof--this is a perfect three-way solution, and you're already partially there with your Model S:

Tesla Powerwall

Congratulations on trying to make a difference!

Tesla gutted my car interior, and is placing sound deadning materials all over it, including the plugs Btr_ftw mentioned.
And also replaced the rubber in the 21" rims with Contisilents. I hope to see how the car behaves in couple days.

Sidenote 1 - The loaner is a 90D with AP. What an amazing experience.It is not perfect, but is amazing. I will ask for numbers on a trade in and maybe go for it. Fingers crossed.

Sidenote 2 - Dealerships are doomed.
They have absolutely no idea the high level of service that Tesla, specially The Dania Beach store, is providing.
I purchased my Tesla in November, and I can assure I was quite a difficult client. That team - from sales to service - totally turned me around.
They LISTEN!
In almost 20 years of MB ownership, I never heard of a dealer that listened to clients.

David M: Whatever you are doing to keep your team motivated and engaged, keep doing it.
We are buying a second S, and a 3 as soon as it is available in your showroom.

FYI: We went to a Chevy dealer last week to buy a Bolt. The sales manager not only had the wrong car ready for us to "test drive" - a Volt - as he also offered us a Chevy Cruze that was on sale.
Their stupidity costed them my business.